Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturday at home, installing an inverter

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Yep sounds like the charger pushes 200W so effectively it will charge you bank in 24 hours. Just remember that by adding more batteries, the charger may not be able to charge the full bank in 24 hours
    I am thinking about adding a second bank because it will help me a lot. At times our power is out for about 12 hours continuously normally the excuse is feeder cables and or theft. Regardless we cannot function anymore, our home became nothing more then a cold dark cave. So we are forced. I will be thinking about buying a second system rather. Same inverter but will be buying other type of batteries. The Batteries are still deep cycle batteries but over all cheaper and supplied by battery centre. They are also 12 Volt 100 AMP batteries

I finally got a quotation for complete solar system. It runs towards the R59K mark. It is not a bad system pushing about 3000-Watts. It can also charge from both solar and mains and that is always a plus.

Anyhow the system as it is now, I am happy with it... What i would like to add is a second system and perhaps keep the loads low on both.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Did you set the battery type to flooded in the program menu? I think it's perameter 05 should be set to 'FLD' for lead acid baytteries but check in your manual. If it already is then try setting to 'user defined' and set the low alarm and other voltages manually later in the program.
    Hi Andy,

Thank you for your earlier feedback.

Today the electric contractor came to check the settings in the inverter again. According to him the setting was right. The batteries were checked twice and we're found not faulty. The inverter works normally in DC mode. However when power is back it shows the message that batteries are over charging. The contractor says the batteries are supposed to be 100 AH where as mine is 240ah. From what I can remember you were using 225Ah. Do you think this could be a problem? I was offered T125s in the place of T105s as they were not available and because of more or less same spec. I downloaded the user manual for Axpert inverter and it mentions the recommended battery amperage as 200Ah. I am so worried since I am not sure if the battery seller will replace it. Awaiting your input.

Jay

Thanks
    I picked up two issues while chatting to the contractor today evening. He was using 4AWG instead of 8 AMG for cabling. After installation apparently the inverter tripped while the kettle was switched on. Obviously he forgot to exclude that line. Can any of these lead to faults leading to battery over charging? having sleepless nights

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight72 View Post
    Hi Andy,

Thank you for your earlier feedback.

Today the electric contractor came to check the settings in the inverter again. According to him the setting was right. The batteries were checked twice and we're found not faulty. The inverter works normally in DC mode. However when power is back it shows the message that batteries are over charging. The contractor says the batteries are supposed to be 100 AH where as mine is 240ah. From what I can remember you were using 225Ah. Do you think this could be a problem? I was offered T125s in the place of T105s as they were not available and because of more or less same spec. I downloaded the user manual for Axpert inverter and it mentions the recommended battery amperage as 200Ah. I am so worried since I am not sure if the battery seller will replace it. Awaiting your input.

Jay
    I think the reason they recommend 200Ah batteries is because of the capabilities of the charger but I've installed 3Kw Axpert inverters with paralleled double battery banks of T105's so I can't see how a single bank of 240Ah could be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight72 View Post
    I picked up two issues while chatting to the contractor today evening. He was using 4AWG instead of 8 AMG for cabling. After installation apparently the inverter tripped while the kettle was switched on. Obviously he forgot to exclude that line. Can any of these lead to faults leading to battery over charging? having sleepless nights
    I'd suggest your battery wiring should be minmum of 35mm sq which, if you want to work in American Wire Gauge is very close to 2AWG. Peak DC current could be easily 100Amps with a 3kW 24v inverter for example.

Start at the beginning, outline exactly what system you have, please give inverter model number and the number of batteries and their exact configuration. Please also double check your stated 4AWG DC wiring is definitely what was installed. I'm not trying to run you around in circles I just want to rule out any possible basic causes before we go looking deeper.

Thanks
    I think the reason they recommend 200Ah batteries is because of the capabilities of the charger but I've installed 3Kw Axpert inverters with paralleled double battery banks of T105's so I can't see how a single bank of 240Ah could be a problem.

I'd suggest your battery wiring should be minmum of 35mm sq which, if you want to work in American Wire Gauge is very close to 2AWG. Peak DC current could be easily 100Amps with a 3kW 24v inverter for example.

Start at the beginning, outline exactly what system you have, please give inverter model number and the number of batteries and their exact configuration. Please also double check your stated 4AWG DC wiring is definitely what was installed. I'm not trying to run you around in circles I just want to rule out any possible basic causes before we go looking deeper.

Hello Andy,

Many thanks for your response.

I am using Axpert 3KW MKS plus 24 volt inverter with four 240Ah (Trojan T125) 6volt batteries connected in series with a fuse to protect the batteries based on your input. I asked the electrician to put up a mini DB to for the essential circuit. However while the inverter was connected and undergoing testing a kettle was switched on which was not bypassed and hence the machine tripped. Apparently it worked for an hour without issues.

The electrician acknowledges that he has used only ' flexible DC cable' instead of any of the recommended AWG wires. Could this be a factor leading to faulty charging?

The model number of the inverter is SOL-I-AX--3MPLUS24.

Hope this information is adequate.

Thanks
    A kettle could quite easily cause overload, kettles are a high load especially if they're these new fast boil types. Overload is not likely to damage the inverter, I've run my Axpert into every type of overload possible including a range of short circuit faults and it's not shown any signs of damage so I doubt very much the kettle caused the issues.

I can't see anything wrong off-hand with the setup you mention, I'd suggest being absolutely methodical, recheck and remake every battery and fuse termination to start with.

Thanks

Andy, Thank you so much for the response.

The system is as follows.

Axpert 3KW MKS plus 24 volt
    Model number SOL-I--AX--3MPLUS24
    Batteries four 240Ah batteries (T125) connected serially with a fuse
    Cabling: 'flexible DC wiring' (not any of the AWG rated) he says it is a thick cable.
    A mini DB was put to isolate essential circuits to the inverter.

Batteries checked twice by the contractor and the battery supplier and found to have no faults.
    settings checked for battery by installer and he couldn't see any issues.

Works normal on DC. Shows fault code 3 when AC is back after a brief delay.This is where we stand now.

Thanks
    Just now noted your earlier response. The seller has agreed to change the inverter for a new one. I am trying it tomorrow. Hoping for the best.

Thanks
    I really think it's a very very slim chance that the problem is being caused by the batteries being 240Ah. If the installer really can't find the problem then either he needs to install another similar inverter to see if the fault persists or not or try 4 different batteries on the existing system in order to localise the fault to either the inverter or the batteries and cabling.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    update, we had a long power-out yesterday, no problems really system lasted for 5 hours and had power left in the end. was pulling 240 watts "got LED lights" installed that took the demand down a bit. My TV consumes 115 Watts of power but i will be downing it soon. Looking for a better TV. my hope is to get it to an even 200 watts.

Generator took care of my refrigeration... I will not be adding batteries to this system i am planning on building a second system rather that will have 2 banks of batteries... Batteries I am looking to use are 6Volts but pushes 150 AMPS. Just want to confirm that the charger would be able to handle it first.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast