Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Driving Each Other Crazy...

Thanks
    Speed reduces reaction time and reaction options. You are less capable to deal with changes in the environment the faster you go – difficult to argue against that. There are some exceptions where speed is safer. Evading a threat (or object) or using your vehicle offensively etc.

Competency is crucial, but it does not eliminate the speed-danger factor it only mitigates it. A good driver is competent in both vehicle and environmental awareness -and must have his/her head screwed on right.

In town I drive relatively fast, more like nippy, but I don’t ever speed around. I certainly don’t make the wheels spin, that’s just vulgar. On the highway or long road I go up to 120 with my daughter or wife in the car, if I am alone I go up to 140, rarely over that. I never take blind risks. When I was a teenager I had my fair share of accidents and write offs and it made me wiser.

I don’t know, but sometimes I wish we here in Natal could drive more like you Highveld guys and girls, you know how to drive.

As for seatbelts, I always wear it on the highway/long road, but never for just town driving.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Maybe you should try to hit a wall/truck etc with 40 km/h or even slower without a seat belt and see what happens. I doubt you will look good after that.

I feel the faster I go (up to the speed limit) the more alert/focussed I am. If I am just cruising along slowly my mind wanders.... which in occasion has made me miss turn offs.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Thanks
    I had a head on at about 60km/h and I did not fly out the car, but did hit my head rather hard on the steering wheel. A child on the other hand will fly out the car at 60km, so my daughter always always sits in her kiddy chair and always wears the seatbelt. I will not even reverse out the driveway without her totally secured.

I also get a bit dreamy if I drive too slow. In town I try and chase down the green robot and cut seconds and minutes from the trip, I just hate waiting - generally. I get very frustrated when my wife drives, not that she is particularly slow, its just that she won't take gaps like I do and will often slow down for something she could easily drive around. Wait Don't get me started on the damn learner drivers. There is an area in PMB that seems to be designated as a practice zone. Sometimes 3 cars in front of me are all learner drivers, often passing them is just impossible...so you wait. I would rather not say what goes on in my head at such times.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My family and I always wear seatbelts, it's one of those things that become a habit. You may do 60Km/h in town but another fool may be doing 120km/h and skip your robot. Seatbelts are exactly like motor cycle helmets, you may be a brilliant rider who obeys the law, who has the best training in the world...but you have no control over what the other person does nor about sh1t that happens. Not if you fall, when you fall you are going to hit the tar. You choose to protect your face or not. Imagine what you will do when you look up from the speedometer at 60km/h and the guy coming in the opposite direction blows a tire and swerves across the road 5m in front of you.

You cannot argue that seat belts save lives.

Spend a couple of hours looking at dash cam crash videos on YouTube, you will soon realize that sh1t happens, that speed kills and that seatbelts save live.

Like I said, I love driving in general and driving fast but we unfortunately share roads with many others and as such have to take care not only to protect ourselves but also to protect them. We can only do this by being mindful and aware of our surrounding and not only of their actions but also the outcome our actions may have on them. You may have ABS and be able to brake perfectly or whatever wonderful gadget that saves your ass...but the other guy may not have all that stuff.

Thanks
    I am a great advocate of seatbelts, but for me personally driving in town robot to robot seems pointless wearing one. As soon as there is speed I buckle up. I know I know I should always have it on etc etc, but I don’t care

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    I am a great advocate of seatbelts, but for me personally driving in town robot to robot seems pointless wearing one. As soon as there is speed I buckle up. I know I know I should always have it on etc etc, but I don’t care
    Maybe, but remember that some d00s may just skip that robot and smack you. Wearing seatbelts is just another habit to develop. Remember that kids do what you do, not what you say. (I say this with your kiddie in mind) My girls have always known that that is the way it works because mu wife and I have always does it.

Thanks
    Hm, maybe picture yourself the traffic from the side skipping a robot and hitting your drivers side with 60 km/h. Make that a heavy duty truck (with failing breaks or just a dumb driver on the cell phone) for more convincing power.

I would also say you have been pretty lucky to only hit your head on the steering wheel when you crashed at 60 km/h. If the other car was moving to (head on) you are double lucky. You must have been buckled up to not fly out/against the windscreen. An after this experience you still do not wear a belt in town? What did you learn from this crash then? Buy at least a car with air bag.

I am also sure my kids get a fit if the car starts rolling and they are not buckled up yet, because they see that we never drive without one.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Thanks
    I notice how just about every post here is about SPEED, but there is little mention of anything else, we have become sensitised to the 'speed hype' because of the way the law perceives it as 'easy money', but there is so much else going on the driving front. I can't remember when I last observed a driver obeying (or even knowing) the law at a 4-way stop, I rarely ever see anyone that looks both ways when turning left at an intersection, robots just seem to be coloured lights that don't have any true significance, un-roadworthy vehicles seems to be the "norm", nobody seems to know when to use the lights or when a 'Fog-light' is appropriate, and the list goes on.

I have never researched it, but I would be willing to bet that the instances where speeding has caused the accident, is less than 0.5% or even lower. I think that driving too slowly is more dangerous than driving too fast, both within reason. Typically I like to get on the road, go where I want to be, and get off the road in as little time and as safely as possible, if I am held up by slow drivers it is frustrating and I find myself having to concentrate on watching the car ahead instead of watching what I am doing, while looking for a gap to overtake, hazard potential is 100%, accident potential is somewhere around 40% (just guesstimates as there is no real way to actually measure), and if this slow driver is one of those inconsiderate 'Fog Light Bandits', then I have to do all this with bright light in my eyes. Yes, I can just slow down and pull back, increase the following distance and be on the road for 1-hour instead of 10-mins. Fortunately, I rarely have to drive in peak-hour traffic.

Too fast or too slow? easiest way to determine if this is you, If there is a line of cars behind you and open road in front, you're going too slow and causing a hazard. Likewise if there's open road behind you and a line of cars in front, you're going too fast and are creating a hazard.
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    The seatbelt protects the wearer and each individual should have the right to decide how well they wish to protect themselves, the point where it gets tricky is with children, will a child have enough experience/knowledge to make this decision for themselves? As Adrian has already said, children follow examples rather than rules.
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Thanks
    I am a bad parent

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast