Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I posted a job on Gumtree last night...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yea being imperfect in a perfect world doesn’t leave much for chance... thankfully the option of becoming your own boss is always an open one. I will not be able to cope without my computer. So I use it and it helps me do business.

I got burned once or twice trusting the wrong people “the type of people that criminal checks and background checks don’t pick up” Never trust someone completely it will bite you it is just a question of when.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Maybe they look at Gumtree using their cell phones and then respond using the keypad. That would explain why some of the responses are is cellspeak.
    I also hadn't thought of that but it's almost certainly true that the vast majority of applicants would be replying from a mobile device. I think the bottom line is you've got to try differentiate between txt spk and the poor spelling and grammar that it inherrently produces and poor communication skills. It does make the task more difficult, especially on the first contact before you meet the applicant or receive a CV.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Yes I also realize that this happens, but most applicants when applying for a job, be it from a computer or a phone will converse in proper English. It is the minority that don't feel it necessary, therefore it is them that are falling behind because they will be overlooked by a lot of employers.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    In my opinion this is a trend towards the future. Today's youngsters are tomorrows leaders, and so the language evolves as it has for the last 4000 years, adapting to the changing times. Just use Shakespeare as an example of how English has evolved into already a number of dielects, using USA as an example.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    In my opinion this is a trend towards the future. Today's youngsters are tomorrows leaders, and so the language evolves as it has for the last 4000 years, adapting to the changing times. Just use Shakespeare as an example of how English has evolved into already a number of dielects, using USA as an example.
    At least we're not all speaking American-ghetto-gangster yet.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    At least we're not all speaking American-ghetto-gangster yet.
    Thank goodness for that, just can not stand that way of speaking, really shows up the lack of grammar. The problem comes from the community looking up to the worst gangster and using him as the role model for their mimicking, or maybe they just do this to be in favour of him not wiping them out. Imitation is the lowest form of flattery I suppose.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    ...or real deep Cape coloured... I think that communities create their own language to identify with one another.

I can just imagine Donald Trump going "naai, djy soek R30million vir djou pad in die Brooklyn. Djy is mos bef0k in djou kop. Djou ma se p.... djy is nie duidelik nie my bra, my merchant gaan djou somma steb in djou vocal chord'

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123