Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two Big Questions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Some people are unproductive no matter what you do, maybe they are lazy or stupid or possibly too intelligent and bored. Some people are naturally productive, they get things done because that is just the way that they are.
    "Great thinking is not the province of a privileged few: everyone, regardless of background or educational qualification has the ability to think well - given the right conditions." - Bernard Swanepoel

The key is then motivation. And as mentioned, motivation can differ for each person, or rather the way they are motivated. One thing I have learned is that a simple congratulations or recognition of work well done can go a long way. The problem is time, management mostly don't have or take the time to look at what their employees do. Especially in big companies. Your "workers" often get lost into doing work like a robot without being given any advice, credit or motivation for what they do. I firmly agree that the best growth takes place on a personal level between individual and boss or manager.

Thanks
    My best bosses gave me the privilege of working with them.
    The worst bosses never let you forget that you work for them.
    There is a vast difference and the worst bosses never get it, it creates the scenario where you do a certain function one hundred times and they say nothing, but make one mistake and they never let you forget it.

The best bosses are always saying things like 'Great job,' or 'Well done,' when you make a mistake they help you fix it and ask 'What did you learn from that mistake?'
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iLLuDeano View Post
    1. What drives effort?
    (and productivity and motivation and commitment?)
    Attention. Whether that's the carrot or the stick.

Even flagellation is perversely perceived as a form of recognition. (Dig deep enough into why naughty boys are naughty, and ultimately it's related to attention seeking).

Quote Originally Posted by iLLuDeano View Post
    2. And what can you do about it?
    Give visible signs that you are paying attention.

Know people's names, and greet them when you see them by name (the boss knows who I am).
    Congratulate them (or whip them) for something specific that they did that they weren't necessarily aware that you were aware of.

In smaller operations, or if you're in charge of a smaller team, be aware of background info - married, in a relationship, children, studies, hobbies, sports...
    Don't spend much time yacking about it, (that would be counter-productive), but every now and then a question or comment on the subject helps show you "care".

It's weird what works and what doesn't. It's certainly not all obvious, and sometimes it's plainly counter-intuitive. For example:

My personal experience of the most effective way to massively reduce the productivity and commitment of an employee is to give them a big pay increase. Kinda complicated to explain why, but damn - give too much too soon and every time a coconut, expect problems - it's just a matter of time (and normally not long too).

I've got in the habit of giving multiple smaller, interim increments to folks who have made a big step up nowadays rather than one big jump. So far that seems to work much better (touches wood).
    Last edited by Dave A; 05-Dec-13 at 09:55 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hi Dave,

Maybe a bonus instead of an increase may be another way, where recognition is shown with the bonus, but with out the long term commitment as with an increase.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

5. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (03-Dec-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    When I was still working for a boss all I expected of them was to pay me on time. If they didn’t and they didn’t have a proper excuse I got angry “especially in my first 5 years” I am a motivated worker all I want is my money when it is due. What normally followed after I got angry I think may be inappropriate for this thread.

Treat your workers right respect them enough to pay them on time and they will stay behind finish a job “after clocking out” they will walk with you and work hard. Treat them like dirt and you inherit the desert.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    When I was still working for a boss all I expected of them was to pay me on time. If they didn’t and they didn’t have a proper excuse I got angry “especially in my first 5 years” I am a motivated worker all I want is my money when it is due. What normally followed after I got angry I think may be inappropriate for this thread.

Treat your workers right respect them enough to pay them on time and they will stay behind finish a job “after clocking out” they will walk with you and work hard. Treat them like dirt and you inherit the desert.
    So what is the company to do when the workers do not produce fast enough causing the customers not to pay in time for payday?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Attention. Whether that's the carrot or the stick.

Even flagellation is perversely perceived as a form of recognition. (Dig deep enough into why naughty boys are naughty, and ultimately it's related to attention seeking).

Give visible signs that you are paying attention.

Know people's names, and greet them when you see them by name (the boss knows who I am).
    Congratulate them (or whip them) for something specific that they did that they weren't necessarily aware that you were aware of.

In smaller operations, or if you're in charge of a smaller team, be aware of background info - married, in a relationship, children, studies, hobbies, sports...
    Don't spend much time yacking about it, (that would be counter-productive), but every now a question or comment on the subject helps show you "care".

It's weird what works and what doesn't. It's certainly not all obvious, and sometimes it's plainly counter-intuitive. For example:

My personal experience of the most effective way to massively reduce the productivity and commitment of an employee is to give them a big pay increase. Kinda complicated to explain why, but damn - give too much too soon and every time a coconut, expect problems - it's just a matter of time (and normally not long too).

I've got in the habit of giving multiple smaller, interim increments to folks who have made a big step up nowadays rather than one big jump. So far that seems to work much better (touches wood).
    Every single time I hired a new employee some of the old ones came demanding an increase. They are simply unable to comprehend that one doesn't employ another person to come and work for you because you have too much money, you do it because you have too much work (and the existing employees may just be the problem causing the bottle neck)

9. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (03-Dec-13)

Thanks
    Let’s be realistic and honest. The boss is the boss. He will always act in his own best interest. He created the business to make himself money. When he hires people it’s ultimately to make himself more money. If you work for a boss and you do not accept this then you are a fool.

If you work for a boss and you want to make more money then make him more money.

If you feel that you can do better, then do better and stop complaining.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    So what is the company to do when the workers do not produce fast enough causing the customers not to pay in time for payday?
    Well if it is the workers fault then that in my opinion is understandable “but that is just my opinion” that there money may be a bit late. But also as the boss you need to be clear about when you need something done and realistic about the time it will take. If $h!t happens it happens it’s not always fun but what can you do?
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Well if it is the workers fault then that in my opinion is understandable “but that is just my opinion” that there money may be a bit late. But also as the boss you need to be clear about when you need something done and realistic about the time it will take. If $h!t happens it happens it’s not always fun but what can you do?
    If it's the exception to the rule, fair enough probably. You just need to keep your staff in the loop though. If they don't understand what is causing the problem, and how they can help solve it, they're not going to magically change their ways for the better.

If it happens fairly often though, it is the boss's fault. The boss is responsible for the business plan, and its implementation.

For me, paying staff (and creditors, and yourself for that matter) on time is one of the acid tests as to whether you're a good boss or not.

13. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (03-Dec-13)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast