Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first photography job - help!

Thanks
    If the bride and groom know you, then they have a pretty good idea of what you can do.

You could get a feel for it by asking them to have an informal shoot one weekend which you could give to them as a wedding present. Take them to a park and pose them for a few photos. Have him on his knees with an engagement ring ... them leaning against a tree ... her messing his hair ... a loving kiss ...

If they come out well you might feel more confident. If you are not happy, then you know where you stand.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    If you can't turn around fast enough get your assistant to take a photo of the Groom as the Bride enters the aisle of the Church and he gets his first view of her, PRICELESS!!!
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    I like Nivelle's idea! I used to DJ at big weddings and know that there is a level stress involved in getting things done just right as many couples take there wedding day very seriously. My tips would be also to get an assistant, be there very early for the event and to have backup equipment just in case something brakes.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    I also posted my original post on a photography forum to which I belong, and the almost unanimous response is that I should not even contemplate something like this, without having done at least a few stints as an assistant photographer to a pro.

The last thing I want to do is not meet the expectations of the bridal couple, in spite of their pleading that I will be ok.

I'm not sure if any of you have picked up that I don't take many pictures of people - perhaps that is an indication that this kind of photography is not my strength?
    I've chewed over that a bit, and would point out that you tend to be pretty diligent in your approach - so there is a flip side to their point. However, given your current portfolio, the point is well made.

So my answer would be (if the opportunity to be a pro's assistant before the event doesn't arise), research, practice and experiment, just as you have up to now.

The challenges would be flash positioning, filler flash settings, soft skin settings (particularly for close-ups), dealing with challenging light conditions (both indoor and outdoor), and paying close attention not only to the primary object, but also the background (in its entirety).

There's also that challenge of getting people to smile naturally, and getting group photos with everyone's eyes open and looking the right way at the same time

When it comes to the candid shots, I'm sure you'll do well. You've already displayed the instincts before.

Thanks
    Just go for it, remember FISH (f^@k it s#!t happens) be prepared, also it may be a good idea to attend the rehearsal and take as many piccies as you would but remember the light may be different because rehearsals are usually in the evenings.
    By checking out the rehearsal pictures you will get pretty much a good idea of where you need to be and what you need to do to get the best in the church, obviously you are pretty much OK with outdoor pictures but you will need to follow the Bride from mid morning, beauty parlor, getting dressed, driving to the church etc. don't forget the Bride and Grooms mothers then the reception with the cake, garter and bouquet and finally the departure.
    It will be a long day, hope your sugar levels stay normal.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12