Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What I would do If I ran SA

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well, it is official; BEE and BBBEEE etc etc is dead! The new policy is that it is not good enough to give 51% of your business to your Black brother. You have to give 100%. 51% ownership will not get you to level 2 with the new proposed structures. Organisations such as BBC and Nafcoc say that they are not racist, they just prefer black.

If you are not black or black enough, forget to do business with these organisations or any of its affiliated members.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been mulling over that aspect of the proposals for a while now.

The conclusion I've arrived at is it's not the scoring that'll be a problem. It's already crazy that an organisation can achieve a level 2 BEE score with remarkably little black representation at the top. Nope, I reckon the proposed scoring improves meaningful differentiation.

The real problem is how that scoring will be applied in preferential procurement! Level 4 is 100% - essentailly adequate to achieve preferential procurement targets per the scorecard. But any buying organisation that sets a "we'll only procure from level 2 upwards" policy is essentially going "100% black or no deal." And I'd suggest that would be unfair racism.

If that base line is set at level 4 things should work out though. The level 2's will have an edge, but non-racial organisations and EME's (who really don't have the scale to compensate for a white owner in the mix) will still be in the game.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The problem I have with this whole BEE thing is that it is not promoting non-racial diversity. If you employ people from different backgrounds we can all learn from each other and take the good from each community to create a better workplace.

The other problem is that a black person with the right connections can get a tender/contract/order to supply "whatever" just because government does not want to buy from a white owned or partially white owned firm. There is no consideration of the consequences if "whatever" is imported from China and the white owned firm who employs 300 black people is put out of business.

This shows how little consideration there is for the workers and the poor when it comes to government policies.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.