Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Bets, future predictions

Thanks
    I tend to ignore the top block and the right hand column of a 'Google search' because most of the ads are from china.

When I do a search for a product I look straight at the body and only click on dot coza links, unfortunately there are a lot of gumtree and other directory links you have to wade through before you find a genuine supplier, usually on or about page three.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    It's very possible that some apps would overdo this. I tend to rather think of it as the app creator being stupid, so for me it's a situation of those apps will die out. I think as more users use the apps, they'd start to figure out which ones are simply an immediate UNINSTALL!

What does give me a bit of gripe is more in line with the thread's OP - the search on most of these App Stores (Android / Apple / Branded) tends to show reams of apps which are little more than single-website-browsers. Usually the user rating idea does allow for some "weeding the chaff out", but you still need to scroll through them all to find something actually useful. Both the Android Market and Apple AppStore sing the praises of having millions of apps, but perhaps 0.0001% of those are actually something I can see myself using. And perhaps 99.999% are simply "stupid" ... in between you get the 0.0009% of border-line cases which are usually duplicates of the 0.0001% (only lower rated).

As for data-leaking, I think it's more of an issue here. My sister in Dubai cannot understand what I'm on about (complaining about bandwidth) when she emails me a link to a 2GB video of a family gathering. Apparently that costs her nearly nothing. If such is the case overseas, then I don't think the 75MB download for adds is even going to register with most users.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Here's another sample of an app trying to force something down your throat: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/07/ios_glitch_/

Given, it's actually a stuff-up on their-side. What I do read between the lines: That bank obviously has a deal on (at least) with the makers of Rapport. Why should they enforce a particular AV on you (even if you're using M$)? Should it not be something like checking if your AV is sufficient, and if not give a list of acceptable brands? But then again, this is a bank, so they tend to think of their clients as slaves anyway!
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    To tie in with tec0. I absolutely hate advertising and marketing. Advertising and marketing should be considered the cancer of modern life. It invades and infects every single aspect of our lives. There will come a time where you will first have to listen to a marketing schplurp before the toilet cover will open....I would just love to throttle sms marketers, telemarketers....well most marketers for that matter.

5. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (15-Aug-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    To tie in with tec0. I absolutely hate advertising and marketing. Advertising and marketing should be considered the cancer of modern life. It invades and infects every single aspect of our lives. There will come a time where you will first have to listen to a marketing schplurp before the toilet cover will open....I would just love to throttle sms marketers, telemarketers....well most marketers for that matter.
    I wish that there can be a service that will just block the lot of them!!! To wake up at 2:00 AM!!!! via an SMS that wants to sell me life insurance is beyond any reasoning!!! I would happily pay R50 a month two have all of it blocked!!! "But clearly our service providers wouldn’t allow for that…
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I actually love marketing. Visual ads can be interesting or humorous. Remember the original MTM disaster series where the bystander calls for help? Some exiting billboards or magazine ads have stunning art work.

What I absolutely hate is invasive, unsolicited messages. Junk mail, brochures, SMS, tele sales, people cornering you at shopping centres etc. That is when I get rude. I have never ever purchased anything from these people and I do not think I ever will.

I have programmed my phone to switch off at night and to automatically switch on early morning. I will never be woken by a startling message at night. Man, I do not even have an alarm! An alarm means there is an emergency or something is wrong. It is not good for your heart to be startled. I do not want to "skrik wakker". I get woken by the sun and the "soothing calls" of hadedas.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Fair enough, it's not marketing per se, it is invasive advertising. I absolutely hate it. We need a bit of personal space where we can be alone without getting hammered with brands and slogans and needs and wants all the time.

We get bible punchers, beggars, street sellers and and and... coming by the house 10 times a day. I am seriously considering making a welcome sign that simply reads 'foxxof' Since we run the business from the house there are 2 phone lines and a fax line. People have no qualms about phoning at any odd time on the off chance they catch somebody at work. The you have the mass fax mailings that come in in the middle of the night.

Thanks
    2 phone lines and a fax line. The you have the mass fax mailings that come in in the middle of the night.
    Adrianh
    Speak to Nigel Hamilton about getting a free fax to email number so anybody sending you a fax pays a premium, this eliminates all spam faxes.
    The beauty of the system is it is totally transportable and you can view the faxes from any computer before you print, if it does not require printing but you need to keep the info, file it, otherwise delete it, loverlee

PS it will save you the cost of the dedicated fax line???
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

10. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (17-Aug-12)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    ..and here I thought I've got my first orer for my 'foxxof' sign :-)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Adrianh
    Speak to Nigel Hamilton about getting a free fax to email number so anybody sending you a fax pays a premium, this eliminates all spam faxes.
    Way to go! There are many free fax to email services available. Saves you a lot of paper as you can read and electronically file the document without printing. .... and you can see the fax on your mobile phone!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast