Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alarm System vs. Offsite CCTV Monitoring

Email problem
    Thanks
    Exactly, this will be more cost effective and safe.
    Response will be a lot quicker which can be vitally important.
    Your post has really interested me and i went onto the Guardian Eye site you were considering and it looks to be a very reliable site and i will be furthering my research for my personal use of CCTV surveillance through Guardian eye.
    I feel they have a great concept.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I worked on remote monitoring systems in the UK for 5 years.These systems had external detectors connected to the DVR and switched the corresponding CCTV camera into view.Once triggered the system would alert the remote monitoring company via (ADSL or Broadband) and they would be able to view what was happening at the site. If there were trespassers,the remote monitoring company would be able to do an audio challenge remotely via loud speakers that were connected to the system.If needed the remote monitoring company could call the Police/Security company.

These systems were often used together with proper burglar alarms.

There is so much technology out there that you could do almost anything with your systems nowdays.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Thirdly never have one company responsible for everything

I would not agree with this. In my experience over the last 14 years we have found that it is better to have one company doing your security. ie one company looking after your motors, electric fencing, cctv and monitoring etc, reason being - if something goes wrong it is one guy that is responsible - too often installers blame the other guy eg if an alarm triggers - the alarm company blames the electric fencing installer and vica versa. It happens time and again. We have been operating for over 14 years and offer the complete package - we are affiliated with a guarding company and an alarm monitoring company therefore we handle everything - the complex or the client does not have to worry about phoning each and every one after they tell him it is not their problem.

It has worked for us over the years and we have plenty of happy customers out there.

Ps. Obviously this does not work with every installer out there - there are some guys that have only been operating for a short while, therefore cannot handle the complete package - you do have to be aware of this.

Thanks
    Rod and Kingpin I see you guys share an IP address. Are you in the same office?
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

5. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (26-Jun-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Rod and Kingpin I see you guys share an IP address. Are you in the same office?
    Thank you!!! I was just about to get paranoid. The conversation seemed to be "to dynamic"

Then I clicked on page two. and saw your post
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    He's an intern in the development department in my company, yes

Sorry I didn't realize we weren't allowed to use the same IP address. I'll ask him to stop.

It did start getting weird towards the end there. Just went with the flow.

Thanks
    As the new chairman of my local CPF the committee has been motivating the local Municipality to install CCTV in the business districts and crime hotspots in our sector.

I have heard the figure of R30,000.oo per camera (4directions, remote view, long recording period etc.) being bandied about, is this in line with what is out there?

We have said in our motivating letter to the local authority that besides the crime prevention angle they should not look at this as an expense but as a revenue stream as well.

Consider all the traffic violations that will be picked up that usually go unpunished, (70 X R500.oo fines in the first month will pay for the system and anything above the outlay is all cherry on top) obviously this will create a huge revenue stream for the first few months, as the public become aware and behave themselves the revenue will taper off.
    Fines for violations such as illegal U-Turns, stopping in no stopping areas, exceeding parking period, speeding, failing to stop at red lights or stop signs, crossing the median etc. they only have to issue 3 fines a day for a month to break even and that is over a 24 hour day (they can even take Saturdays and Sundays off because they can view the recording on Monday if they want) it is a no brainer.

The comment by one of the detectives on the committee was that when a shop with cctv prosecuted anyone for shoplifting or other crime on their premises, the cctv recording is the clincher in getting a conviction, because no matter how much the perpertrator tries to deny the crime, it is there in full colour and motion for everybody to see, lets see a bag snatcher or someone breaking into a car try wiggle out of that and that is what makes it a necessity not a luxury in fighting crime.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    The problem with these kinds of systems that are controlled by the municipality is that government workers get lazy and they also get weekends and holidays off. They might have to review 48 hours of footage on a Monday but I can almost guarantee that they won't review the full 48 hours worth of footage. This leaves gaps in your security.

Another problem is what about crime on the weekends?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Sorry I didn't realize we weren't allowed to use the same IP address.
    It isn't a problem - as long as they're two different people just using the same gateway

I think Ian was just checking it wasn't a Batman and Robin routine (and gently serving notice he has the tools if needed )

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Guys

I might be a bit late in my reply but please, if you are looking to protect your business after hours CCTV is not the answer.

Have a look at Videofied. it is an intruder detection system with build in cameras. The cameras is for verification of the alarm event.

Very good system, in fact it is the only system that is being endorsed by the US Marshals in America when it comes to alarms systems.

It also more cost effective and does not need Eskom power to function. This is a very nice feature.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast