On their new web pages, Telkom says it wants to be a world class service provider. Well, they have a l-o-n-g way to go. Consider the following:
1st Feb: All international Internet sites blocked - only local available. There are NO notices put out by Telkom about this problem.
Tried to report a fault using the Telkom site which is LOCAL bandwidth. The site asks for certain details like name, phone number etc but then FAILS to get past step 3 WITHOUT GIVING ANY REASON for the failure. (All mandatory fields filled in)
In any case all the fields relate to TELEPHONE faults, they have never heard of Internet.
Next,Tried to report a fault to 10210. Went through the extremely tiring process of pressing 1 or whatever in answer to the l-o-n-g process (with that DREADFUL muzak on hold) and then after 45 minutes I was cut off. (engaged tone)
Next tried to report a fault using the SMS facility. It is ONLY for telephone faults, not Internet related faults.
Now I am waiting....and waiting....and waiting.
Will the WORLD CLASS TELEPHONE COMPANY call me back? I won't hold my breath. But as I said they have a VERY long way to go before they can hope to achieve even third world standards.
(I seem to remember them making this same promise about 15 years ago. Remember Danie Du Toit?)