Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telkom ADSL line

Thanks

Telkom ADSL line

Is there somebody that knows somebody, that knows somebody, that knows a friend at Telkom that can assist in getting my ADSL line a little quicker ?

When I applied, I was told: " No problem, you can have the line in max 8 days time"
    After 8 days I inquired again and was told that "maybe" by the end on June because they do not have enough ports in our exchange.
    I cannot use I Burst as the signal is too weak ! and 3G is not really what I require.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Hi

Hopefully someone here can help you, but we had a similar problem - the complex we stayed in didn't have a landline, and they couldn't help us within one year (after which the application resets and you get thrown to the back of the queue), and we had a telkom employee staying the complex trying to help us.

Good luck, though.

Thanks
    hi

If there is no port free in the exchange, then you are out of luck. all depends if they can add addtional port cards or not. for you sake I hope they can, if it is an exchange upgrade, the wait is a long time. We had this in germiston, and we were not teh only client complaining. P&P where also in need to lines, and they had to wait as well. the best would be is to get a large corporate to aks if there is ports in teh area. they get to call a different call centre, better turn around time as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are you dealing with the new business call centre - 10217 ?

But as Wukkie says - no ports = no luck.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I was quite lucky myself.
    Got a working telephone line in 1 week and the ADSL line up and running in 2 days. It broke the day after though, so instead of phoning, I pulled a telkom guy off the road when he drove past my house and paid him R100 to fix it
    If you need any Accounting, Tax or even Financial Management advice, PM me and I'll try help and keep your information confidential.

Visit my Android ZA website - a website dedicated to Google Android in South Africa - www.androidza.co.za

Suspended
    Thanks
    Well you are doing better than me! About 1 years ago now I asked if ADSL was available in our aria. They said they are working on it. After 1 and a half years I phone TELKOM and ask if ADSL was available they said we are on a waiting list. So I hope to have ADSL before I die of old age... However I am betting on global warming to get here first! So I am using 3g and it is expensive, problematic, expensive, no proper technical support, expensive and unreliable! Just to add a point I live 800 meters from a there tower.

Thanks
    We were incredibly lucky - Telkom came and installed both our landline phone and ADSL within 10 days. I suggest you hound them (I know it's difficult when you're busy) and call on a daily basis to remind them about your request. It definitely worked for us.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Are you dealing with the new business call centre - 10217 ?
    I am dealing directly with our local Telkom office and yes I am afraid there is going to be some waiting.
    I managed to speak to someone from Telkom in JHB and the date has now moved another month further.
    So looks as though the more noise you make the longer the time moves out.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi
    Applied at TELKOM DIRECT - got ref number and 4 days later - connected

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jeffery View Post
    Hi
    Applied at TELKOM DIRECT - got ref number and 4 days later - connected
    Some people are more lucky than others !

What about a different angle ?

Has anybody got experience in using private wireless ISPs ?
    I can get a deal from one of these guy's for the following:

Installation and setup: R 2500 ( the equipment becomes my property )
    12 Month contract @ R 199 / month including 500 Meg ( Or 1 Gig @ R269 / m ) and additional bandwidth @ R 109 / Gig.
    Available : immediately

If I do a calculation compared to Telkom it works out R 10 / m more expensive for the same bandwidth and R 9 / m more for additional bandwidth but with Telkom I do not have to sign a 12 month contract! What if their service is crappy ? Their contract binds me to paying up but does not state what happens if I experience more down than up time. Mind you...........neither does Telkom give you a refund for down time ! BUT at least you can tell them what to do with their line AFTER you have paid them for the disconnection !

The only question I have to guy's using this method already is: In general how reliable can I expect them to be ?
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast