Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed - computer - tel lines - voip

Suspended
    Thanks

Help needed - computer - tel lines - voip

My wife has her own company with a server etc etc. She also has telephone lines linked to this server ie from the server the cable runs to their telephones, then from the telephones to their individual computers - i think this is called voip or something or other.

We are urgently looking at what to do: We initially thought of getting a totally seperate pabx system, but am now getting so much conflicting advise that I do not know what to do. At the same time she also wants to move her website/e mails to mweb ? At the same time she has veen advised to get rid of her server and go the cloud route ?? which would be linked to her 4 x telkom lines and her adsl line ??

Is there anyone out there in the Boksburg area that can come and advise us what the heck to do, quote us and then do it ?

Thanks
    I'm sure TecO can help (stop stirring)
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    We are urgently looking at what to do: We initially thought of getting a totally seperate pabx system
    Well done Kevinb You where right

Depending on your setup all your computers will be able to have access to Voice over IP if they can see the net that is. Taking out your server is a bad idea as you lose your central backup capability and security system.

Running your standard phone lines separate from the computer networks is more costly but recommendable. For the simple reason if your computer network goes down your normal phones will still be operational.

Cloud computing is typically internet based solution whereby your network gets handled by a service provider that offers this service. It is not recommended as it will slow your internet down and you're FTP SMTP and other services may slow down "unless if you can shape the data pipe" and yes it can get expensive…

As for going over to mweb, Normally mweb will provide you a service on your request. It comes down to what you want them to do but my dealings with them points to be very professional. I recommend talking to them first, thy will explain to you in detail what will happen and will help you to deal with the changes step by step.

As a note domain controllers with the PDC and BDC setup may be a old way to handle things but you can look forward to stability and with active directory emplace it is as stable as your hardware basically.

***edit***

Please note that some cowboy companies will run around selling NAS systems as cloud solutions it is not the same thing… Network Associated Storage is still on your local network and not on the internet… Unless if you run VPN but even then it is still not cloud...

Secondly VPN is not a cloud service, some cowboys sell it because it uses internet access to send and store info on a offsite server at another office. This is private networking and works well but can be costly if you are planning to send large amounts of data on a line that is capped.

Please have a look at this; Cloud computing
    Last edited by tec0; 22-Feb-12 at 12:13 PM.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    As I said - I am looking for someone qualified in the Boksburg area to come and see us and advise us properly.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Running your standard phone lines separate from the computer networks is more costly but recommendable. For the simple reason if your computer network goes down your normal phones will still be operational.
    That's been my big concern when it comes to crossing over to VOIP. An internet outage, or significant transmission lag and you're in trouble (both of which I suffer from at times despite having ADSL fastest blah blah). It would be handy if there was a switchboard system that would handle both VOIP and standard.

The other thing to think about with fixed line is using a twisted pair line instead of a standard line - you can have multiple "telephone lines" on one twisted pair line. It means going with a digital system rather than analogue, but with what Telkom rushes for line rentals, it does work out cheaper overall (unless Telkom's been fiddling with how they charge this sort of setup since I last looked at it).

Kevin, seriously - good luck with this one. I've been fed so much bs by people trying to punt their telephone system to me over the past year I don't know who to believe anymore. Keep shopping for options and you'll probably start feeling the same way.

In fact, thinking about it now - as long as it does the job what else matters? May as well just take the cheapest solution for your numbers that does what you want. The end.

6. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (22-Feb-12)

Suspended
    Thanks
    @ Dave A - I have had a number of refferrals from guys on this forum and seem to be going with one of them - he comes highly recomended and price is reasonable and seems like the right kinda guy after talking to him on the phone. But you are right - everyone has a different bs story - their system is better, but at the end of the day I think we are going to go seperate - it seems at the mo when there is a problem with the computer lines/data lines it affects the telephone and visa versa, then to top it all the computer guy blames the pabx guy and also vica versa !! - So if we just keep them seperate we should have a good old telephone switchboard stand alone and no one can put blame on the other.

Sheeeez .... didnt realize that there were so man stories out there with pabx systems !!! What happened to the good ole days when you just installed a straight forward telephone !!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    In my opinion only, I will never go for an all in one solution as it is never that cheep in the end. On your network go for a gigabit LAN setup run servers old school with both PDC and BDC along with active directory. It simply works.

If you can afford it get a product that can shape and control your internet line so that you can give some services priority and control usage and security.

Yes it is nice to have a single system that will connect your handset to Voice over IP and normal phone line… that said if your network crashes for any reason you are in trouble.

The simple truth is dedicated systems work. I know it is old school and sometimes a bit more expensive but in the end you do not want to be depended on a single system.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think we're on about the same page on this one, Kevin.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I think we're on about the same page on this one, Kevin.
    Yep totally .... thanks Dave - I do think simple is the best route to go

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Are there not systems available that 1st try to route via voip and fall back to fixed line if it can't connect?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast