Hello fellow green energy enthusiasts,

For the past 8 months I have been working on building a calculator which handles majority of the general factors that are taken into account when investing in solar for the home, and working out returns of said investment based on your use case.

The purpose for undertaking this project was merely to raise awareness to South African's about the benefits to investing in solar power, at least from a financial gain standpoint.

I have found quite a few of these international calculators, but none that accurately depicted the financial benefits (or already contained the various rates and tariffs involved) for a South African interested in solar for their home.

So I decided to build a Solar Investment Calculator for South Africans that will remain free for all to use. No ads, no logins, no commitments. The purpose of the tool is purely to help any potential green energy enthusiast make that leap over solar, even if its just for financial gain.

So the calculator generates 2 savings models (per kit, for a range of solar kits available online). 1 model for paying in cash, and another for taking out a loan (where you can define the loan rate and payback period). This shows users that there is financial gain investing in solar power even if you require financing for it.

Now to the point of this post. I'm steering clear of giving the impression that I am trying to promote the site here, but I was hoping to get an experts opinion (if there are any with a few minutes to spare, please let me know) on the work I have pushed out thus far, it's been 100s of hours and I'd like to know if I am headed in the right direction. I have also included some information about how the calculator handles some of the inputs given by users. Any feedback from any user is welcome, my intention is to make this the best it can be, to provide any South African with a fantastic service that will never cost them a cent. And of course, in the long term, pushing for a greener economy.

If you would like to know more about this project, please visit The South African Solar Calculator. If you have the time, don't hesitate to leave some feedback

Thanks for taking the time to read this.