Thread: Windows 10 Defender - Turns itself back on

Thanks

Angry Windows 10 Defender - Turns itself back on

Anyone have another way to permanently kill this bloody thing?

I've gone through this process: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15788...w-turn-it-off/

Clicking on that "Real time protection" toggle seems to work. But then I notice it's still scanning each and every program I try to load (seeing this through Task Manager), taking minutes (worst was half an hour to start the Edge browser). So I open that settings panel again, lo and behold the toggle I turned OFF is back ON! At least the Cloud-Based protection stays OFF, but that's not my ISSUE!!! Dammit!

W8/7 parts simply don't exist in W10. The Services thing says I'm not allowed to change such, even though I started the Services Manager through a right-click "Run as Administrator". So I cannot disable the service. I'm not even allowed to end-task the damned thing in Task Manager.

The reason I want to kill it is because it hogs the computer to death. I've even tried installing another AV just to see if some auto-setting would notice that Defender isn't needed anymore ... no dice. All that does is I've now got two programs using up 80% of the Atom CPU's processing time ... ALL THE TIME! Meaning the entire computer is useless ... even just moving the mouse is a jumpy affair.

Believe me ... if I could I would replace W10 on this thing in a heart beat! But due to driver issues, even W8.1 WILL NOT RUN ON IT.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks

Try this

I remember reading this on reddit forum. Haven't come across this personally so can't vouch for solution - hope it works for you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c..._my_cpu_usage/

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Anyone have another way to permanently kill this bloody thing?

I've gone through this process: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15788...w-turn-it-off/

Clicking on that "Real time protection" toggle seems to work. But then I notice it's still scanning each and every program I try to load (seeing this through Task Manager), taking minutes (worst was half an hour to start the Edge browser). So I open that settings panel again, lo and behold the toggle I turned OFF is back ON! At least the Cloud-Based protection stays OFF, but that's not my ISSUE!!! Dammit!

W8/7 parts simply don't exist in W10. The Services thing says I'm not allowed to change such, even though I started the Services Manager through a right-click "Run as Administrator". So I cannot disable the service. I'm not even allowed to end-task the damned thing in Task Manager.

The reason I want to kill it is because it hogs the computer to death. I've even tried installing another AV just to see if some auto-setting would notice that Defender isn't needed anymore ... no dice. All that does is I've now got two programs using up 80% of the Atom CPU's processing time ... ALL THE TIME! Meaning the entire computer is useless ... even just moving the mouse is a jumpy affair.

Believe me ... if I could I would replace W10 on this thing in a heart beat! But due to driver issues, even W8.1 WILL NOT RUN ON IT.

Thanks
    Thanks, I've found similar threads and have tried it all before. Mine actually turns the setting back on as soon as you move the mouse. I.e. click the toggle to turn off real-time-scanning, it turns off, move the pointer away from the toggle, it turns back on.

Reading from that other thread, I have since re-formatted and re-installed Win10 from scratch onto this "computer". I.e. there is no MSE to even start off with - thus ONLY Windows Defender itself is there. It still does this exact same issue and constantly uses between 40% and 80% of the CPU. And every single time any program is opened, or loads / saves a file that pushes up to 100% and the computer hangs for several minutes.

I have previously attempted the "install another AV" idea with no results, and have attempted it again after the re-install, still nothing better. I have this weekend been battling to get any other OS to work on this thing. Not even W8.1 wants to work with its particular brand of WiFi & BlueTooth. I've come close with a specialized version of Ubuntu 14.04.2 - where the relevant drivers for that WiFi/BT hardware has been baked into the kernel. That did in fact work (felt like the machine was screamingly fast in comparison to the W10 experience), however the sound then didn't work and it would see but not work-with my bluetooth keyboard/mouse, so no-go there either.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz

Thanks
    What laptop do you have? I've been running linux for donkey's years and generally almost anything can work if you put a bit of sweat and tears into it :-) If you are ok with Linux functionality for your needs, I'd say just stick with it - ask on the ubuntu forums etc - they very good. Or once you have linux running where all the hardware is recognized, run virtualbox and load windows on top of that for using MS Office natively.

Sorry could not be of more help with your current defender problem.

Thanks
    Not a laptop ... it's one of these:

Thanks
    Not a laptop ... it's one of these:
    how is that working for you i
    like small devices and would
    like to get your feedback on
    it if it is ok with you irneb
    seek professional help with anything and everything never take advice from me

Thanks
    Apart from W10 it actually works pretty awesomely. It's very similar specced to an entry level laptop / notebook, so pretty good for minor work. 1.3GHz Atom dual core, 2GB DDR3 RAM at 1333MHz, WiFi N, Bluetooth 4, one USB2 port, built-in 32GB flash running at around 30MB/s, one microSD/SDHC/SDXC slot for up to 128GB cards. Spec-wise, it's actually one of the top end stuff for these types of things.

Though with the hassles I've got with W10 it's mostly useless as you move the mouse, sit and wait, click, sit and wait, wait some more, click again (since nothing seems to happen), wait a bit longer, and make coffee, come back - and you've got two sessions of the same program running (because you've clicked twice).

As stated, when I ran it using Ubuntu (and mind you that's with the full Unity desktop, not something like LXDE/Mate/Gnome, which is actually pretty graphics intensive) it felt like a pretty decent computer. No lags, no hassles, every graphics effect like shadows, animated dragging, hover highlights, animated window openings, etc. ran smoothly without any stuttering. Could even open several programs at once (Firefox, LibreOffice Write + Calc + Draw, Thunderbird emails, Empathy chat, etc. all at the same time ready for Ctrl+Tab swapping) On W10 I have to turn off all those special effects, and only run one single program at a time, else it's even worse.

Another issue I have with W10, this thing comes with an internal flash disc of only 32GB. W10 itself uses up around 15GB of that, so not a lot of room for actual programs (especially if you follow the rule of trying to stay below 50% usage). And it's not a simple task to rather use the SD card for extra storage - e.g. installing programs to it is not a non-tech exerience, neither is moving your MyDocuments (and other) folders over. The Ubuntu install (including all those programs mentioned above) only takes up 4GB of space. If I install all those things in W10, I use an extra 2 to 4 GB worth over and above W10's 15GB.

I'm sorry to say, steer clear of these things if you cannot get something like a Linux / Android / OSX on it. Microsoft does NOT make an OS which works properly on anything less than a 2GHz CPU, 4GB RAM and 64GB disc (those are ABSOLUTE MINIMUMS). Graphics-wise, the Intel Graphics built into their newer CPUs (even the Atoms) seem to be enough, unless of course you're going to play 3d games.

What does work well even with W10 and its Defender hogging the system: Remote Desktop into another computer. That way this thing is nothing more than a KVM, i.e. you could have bought something at a 1/10th the cost to get the same job done.

Thanks
    Apart from W10 it actually works pretty awesomely. It's very similar specced to an entry level laptop / notebook, so pretty good for minor work. 1.3GHz Atom dual core, 2GB DDR3 RAM at 1333MHz, WiFi N, Bluetooth 4, one USB2 port, built-in 32GB flash running at around 30MB/s, one microSD/SDHC/SDXC slot for up to 128GB cards. Spec-wise, it's actually one of the top end stuff for these types of things.

Though with the hassles I've got with W10 it's mostly useless as you move the mouse, sit and wait, click, sit and wait, wait some more, click again (since nothing seems to happen), wait a bit longer, and make coffee, come back - and you've got two sessions of the same program running (because you've clicked twice).

As stated, when I ran it using Ubuntu (and mind you that's with the full Unity desktop, not something like LXDE/Mate/Gnome, which is actually pretty graphics intensive) it felt like a pretty decent computer. No lags, no hassles, every graphics effect like shadows, animated dragging, hover highlights, animated window openings, etc. ran smoothly without any stuttering. Could even open several programs at once (Firefox, LibreOffice Write + Calc + Draw, Thunderbird emails, Empathy chat, etc. all at the same time ready for Ctrl+Tab swapping) On W10 I have to turn off all those special effects, and only run one single program at a time, else it's even worse.

Another issue I have with W10, this thing comes with an internal flash disc of only 32GB. W10 itself uses up around 15GB of that, so not a lot of room for actual programs (especially if you follow the rule of trying to stay below 50% usage). And it's not a simple task to rather use the SD card for extra storage - e.g. installing programs to it is not a non-tech exerience, neither is moving your MyDocuments (and other) folders over. The Ubuntu install (including all those programs mentioned above) only takes up 4GB of space. If I install all those things in W10, I use an extra 2 to 4 GB worth over and above W10's 15GB.

I'm sorry to say, steer clear of these things if you cannot get something like a Linux / Android / OSX on it. Microsoft does NOT make an OS which works properly on anything less than a 2GHz CPU, 4GB RAM and 64GB disc (those are ABSOLUTE MINIMUMS). Graphics-wise, the Intel Graphics built into their newer CPUs (even the Atoms) seem to be enough, unless of course you're going to play 3d games.

What does work well even with W10 and its Defender hogging the system: Remote Desktop into another computer. That way this thing is nothing more than a KVM, i.e. you could have bought something at a 1/10th the cost to get the same job done.
    for some reason i am thinking that
    win XP or win 7 starter might work
    with it maybe give that a go?

have a look at the new Pi 3
    1.2ghz 64-bit quad-core arm
    cortex a53 cpu Integrated 802.11n
    wireless lan and bluetooth 4.1

if you dont mind me asking but what
    did you pay for that little computer
    do you think it will run XP

i got myself a amd athlon 5350 quad
    core apu with 4GB 1600mhz ddr3 and
    a am1i mboard runs like a bat out of
    hell cost me under 4k for working pc
    with 1tb drive dvdrw and 400watt
    psu it replaced my old pc and i had
    a win8.1 os already so nice happy
    with it runs corel draw easily but
    it i would go 8gb ram and gpu it
    will do it justice

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    for some reason i am thinking that
    win XP or win 7 starter might work
    with it maybe give that a go?
    Have tried both W7 and W8.1 ... both have driver issues with the WiFi and the BlueTooth. W7 can't do the sound on this device. Haven't attempted XP, but if the later windows don't want to work, I'm not going to hold my breath there.

have a look at the new Pi 3
    1.2ghz 64-bit quad-core arm
    cortex a53 cpu Integrated 802.11n
    wireless lan and bluetooth 4.1
    Yeah, neat little kit, I actually have a Pi1 which I use for another TV, running OpenELEC. That thing is a LOT less capable, but due to a "decent" operating system it feels a lot better than this one. So I guess the Pi3 with Android or some sort of Linux would blow the socks off this Asus-W10 conjoined twin.

if you dont mind me asking but what
    did you pay for that little computer
    Was given as a present ... though if I look around, it seems they go for around R2500 (a bit over priced if you compare them to the Pi3). Though of course, it is about a 1/2 the size of the Pi board - so obviously you "pay" for the reduction in size, and you get a very solid enclosure to boot (which is an extra with the Pi's - though probably not enough to reach that cost).

I think if you look around you may be able to find something similar to this "stick" PC for less. May even be possible to get better hardware and the capability of actually having a useful OS on it.

i got myself a amd athlon 5350 quad
    core apu with 4GB 1600mhz ddr3 and
    a am1i mboard runs like a bat out of
    hell cost me under 4k for working pc
    with 1tb drive dvdrw and 400watt
    psu it replaced my old pc and i had
    a win8.1 os already so nice happy
    with it runs corel draw easily but
    it i would go 8gb ram and gpu it
    will do it justice
    Sounds like some decent hardware for that price. My actual "working" machines are a lot higher specced, though they're also above R10k - but that's because they're meant for 3d modelling (16GB+ RAM, 4+ true cores @ 3+GHz, SSD discs, discreet mid-range gaming graphics card).

Thanks
    Sounds like some decent hardware for that price. My actual "working" machines are a lot higher specced, though they're also above R10k - but that's because they're meant for 3d modelling (16GB+ RAM, 4+ true cores @ 3+GHz, SSD discs, discreet mid-range gaming graphics card).
    it is good enough to do office
    stuff and basic corel draw stuff
    3d modelling takes a lot more

but it is not freezing like pc
    before it normally i only run
    laptops but they are expensive
    now you can't get an i5 for under