Thread: Is it a must for Registered person to be registered as Electrical Contractor

Thanks

Is it a must for Registered person to be registered as Electrical Contractor

Hi all,

All the articles that I've read regarding the subjected title is still confusing;

* Question: Is it a necessary for i Registered Person , e.g. Installation Electrician to be also registered as a electrical contractor?

Kind regards,

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps you are getting confused because they are two different things, with a different role in the "ecosystem".

An electrical contractor providing electrical contracting services must register as an electrical contractor.

A registered electrical contractor must have at least one registered person active within the entity, as the sole proprietor, owner, director or employee.

By my understanding this doesn't prevent a registered person from being employed by a company and not being registered as an electrical contractor in their personal capacity.
    They could also be employed by a factory, for example, where they only work on the electrical installation of their employer - which would not require registration as an electrical contractor... unless they were employed as an "independent contractor"...

Thanks
    Thank you Dave for the clarification. One last question; if you buy CoC forms from e.g. ECASA you need to provide you're registration as electrical contractor and not as a registered person?

Kind regards,

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    if you buy CoC forms from e.g. ECASA you need to provide you're registration as electrical contractor and not as a registered person?
    Correct - although the registered person on record as associated with the electrical contractor is also noted.

Which raises a thought...

In the situation where the registered person is working only on the electrical installation of their employer in the factory example I gave above - how is a CoC issued on that work?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Correct - although the registered person on record as associated with the electrical contractor is also noted.

Which raises a thought...

In the situation where the registered person is working only on the electrical installation of their employer in the factory example I gave above - how is a CoC issued on that work?

Your clarification understood; in essence my second question attributed to why the first one was asked, but none the less your clarifications assisted me,....Much appreciated.