Thread: Sockets outlets installed behind appliances

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Sockets outlets installed behind appliances

A common practise is to mount the socket outlet under the counter behind the appliance ... I regard this as extremely dangerous ... hence the reason I always fit the socket outlet for an appliance above the counter or next to the appliance ... would it be marked a fail on an inspection report ?

"6.16.1.2 The power supply to every fixed appliance, except luminaires, shall
    be supplied through
    a) a disconnecting device that disconnects both live conductors in a singlephase supply and all phase conductors in a multiphase supply, or
    b) a socket-outlet that is directly accessible at all times that any person is
    exposed to such appliance while the supply is on. In the case of a remotely
    installed appliance, the position of the disconnecting device shall be
    indicated by means of a notice in close proximity to or on the appliance. "
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Would an under counter washing machine or tumble drier, for example, be regarded as a "fixed appliance"?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    If that's the case then perhaps an isolator to said sockets which are behind the washing machine under the counter?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    Would an under counter washing machine or tumble drier, for example, be regarded as a "fixed appliance"?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Another interesting topic ... if the machine is free standing and without a counter top it s free standing machine with access to the switch ...however as soon as you push the machine under a counter with the sides closed ... how do you access the plug top to switch off the device ... it now becomes a dangerous situation with no means to get to the switch without going to the DB and shutting down the power ... unless of course you know which circuit it is ( because it would have suitable label indicting which circuit ... if we going to go down that road we could ask the question why is an a fixed appliance if you dont screw it to the cupboard and leave it free to remove ... but some will apply a little common sense.

What I generally do is fit a flush mount double pole isolator above the counter the pull the cable into the isolator which then makes it a fixed appliance ... not all customer want it dont like this because it means having to call you back to disconnect the ideal method would be to fit a 4x3 single socket under the counter and a double pole isolator above the counter.
    From my experience ... generally what happens ... the customer experiences a tingling feel or the plug tops is burnt due to a loose connection in solid plug tops (come with the machine) or socket outlet or a more common one now is the hollow 2 amp plug being sold and fitted to tumble driers and washing machines ... or someone has disconnected the earth from the plug top because it trips the earth leakage.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    If that's the case then perhaps an isolator to said sockets which are behind the washing machine under the counter?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    yip that would be ideal.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

The definition of fixed appliance needs to be taken into account

fixed appliance
    appliance that is fastened or otherwise secured at a specific location, and
    that would require the use of tools to be moved to another location

I would not put a wash machine , microwave etc as a fixed appliance , I would class it as a stationary appliance
    When in doubt with regulations I generally go look in definitions to check for clarity

portable appliance
    appliance that is moved in the course of normal operation
    stationary appliance
    appliance that is normally not moved or cannot easily be moved while in
    operation

7. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (04-Dec-21)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Think of gas stove, plugging in or the double dour fridge at corner store both plugs 300 mm from ground. I want to see you switch that off or unplug it..

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thys LOW Elektries View Post
    Think of gas stove, plugging in or the double dour fridge at corner store both plugs 300 mm from ground. I want to see you switch that off or unplug it..
    I dont think you should have a plug behind a gas stove

https://thegasman.co.za/pages/lp-gas-regulations

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I am getting distracted now ... My homework this weekend is suppose to be 7.12 alternative suppliers ... reading ed 3 ... now I have to download ed 3.1 and find NRS 097 .. .to much for my little brain and the weekend has only just begun.