Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DB Height

Thanks

DB Height

Good All,

What is the required height of a DB according to SANS 10142 new edition?
    My DB was mounted on a of 190cm above the ground, so I want to know if that is acceptable.

Your assistace will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Ishmael

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmaelmo View Post
    My DB was mounted on a of 190cm above the ground, so I want to know if that is acceptable.
    Hi Ishmael,

The measurement is based on the position of the switch gear in the distribution board.
    The goldilocks zone is between 1.2 metres and 2.2 metres. Outside of that and some fine print starts kicking in.
    Last edited by Dave A; 21-Oct-18 at 10:52 AM.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Ishmaelmo (22-Oct-18)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    HI

We had an interesting one with a DB in old age homes where the DB's where mounted at 0,9m above ground level - They were placed between the counter top and top cupboards so that they were easily accessible to people in a wheel chair.The prepaid meter was next to the DB towards the front of the counter. Made a whole lot of sense from a practical point but felt it may against the regulations.
    If you read the regulations it does allow for the DB to be below the height as long as it is in an enclosure that cannot be reached by infants.We felt that with a door that is lockable we would be within the reg's to sign it off
    Took a couple of reads and re reads along with discussions in the workshop before we all agreed.

Bear in mind that the 1,2m is for domestic and often your floor standing DB's in commercial and industrial installations are basically at floor level.
    It is also safer to install a separate isolator for a pool Db before the DB and call it a "motor control center" which will then fall under a different set of reg's as long as you do not fed sockets and lights from it.The standard pool DB's that everyone installs does not pass the regulations for a DB.That is another whole argument

6.6.1.6 Any point of a distribution board that has to be reached during
    normal operation shall not exceed a height of 2,2 m above floor (or walking)
    level. However, the board may be mounted higher if it can be disconnected
    from the supply by a switch-disconnector that is less than 2,2 m above floor
    level. (See also 5.3.8(b)). Unless a residential distribution board is housed in
    an enclosure and direct access cannot be obtained by an infant, no part of
    an indoor distribution board shall be less than 1,2 m above the floor level
    and no part of an outdoor distribution board shall be less than 0,2 m above
    the ground level.

5. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (21-Oct-18), Ishmaelmo (22-Oct-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    If you read the regulations it does allow for the DB to be below the height as long as it is in an enclosure that cannot be reached by infants.We felt that with a door that is lockable we would be within the reg's to sign it off
    We put in a child resistant catch in that situation to navigate the balance between accessibility requirements for the main switch vs the infant access issue.

The standard pool DB's that everyone installs does not pass the regulations for a DB.
    Outdoor. Normally under a pool pump enclosure.
    What's the problem?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi Dave

"Pool box"DB's - I was told that they generally do not comply to SANS 60439-5 for outside DB's - WWe have now got into the habit of putting a weather proof isolator before and calling a MCC circuit.
    We don't delve in that type of work much , so I have not followed through and got myself a copy of SANS 60439-5

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Hi Ishmael,

The measurement is based on the position of the switch gear in the distribution board.
    The goldilocks zone is between 1.2 metres and 2.2 metres. Outside of that and some fine print starts kicking in.
    Hi Dave,

It simply means the electrician's selected hieght is correct. I had doubts about thought is too high.

Thanks.

Thanks
    HI

We had an interesting one with a DB in old age homes where the DB's where mounted at 0,9m above ground level - They were placed between the counter top and top cupboards so that they were easily accessible to people in a wheel chair.The prepaid meter was next to the DB towards the front of the counter. Made a whole lot of sense from a practical point but felt it may against the regulations.
    Took a couple of reads and re reads along with discussions in the workshop before we all agreed.

Bear in mind that the 1,2m is for domestic and often your floor standing DB's in commercial and industrial installations are basically at floor level.
    It is also safer to install a separate isolator for a pool Db before the DB and call it a "motor control center" which will then fall under a different set of reg's as long as you do not fed sockets and lights from it.The standard pool DB's that everyone installs does not pass the regulations for a DB.That is another whole argument

6.6.1.6 Any point of a distribution board that has to be reached during
    normal operation shall not exceed a height of 2,2 m above floor (or walking)
    level. However, the board may be mounted higher if it can be disconnected
    from the supply by a switch-disconnector that is less than 2,2 m above floor
    level. (See also 5.3.8(b)). Unless a residential distribution board is housed in
    an enclosure and direct access cannot be obtained by an infant, no part of
    an indoor distribution board shall be less than 1,2 m above the floor level
    and no part of an outdoor distribution board shall be less than 0,2 m above
    the ground level.
    Hi GCE,

Thank you for quoting the regulation. It really answered my question, like said by Dave.

Thanks.

Thanks
    This is the DB in question.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171226_100657.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	7264  

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

That would fail a COC inspection without labels ( SANS 10142-1 : 4.2 pg 61 ) and no blanks , ( readily accessible live terminals 5.2 pg 63)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Hi

That would fail a COC inspection without labels ( SANS 10142-1 : 4.2 pg 61 ) and no blanks , ( readily accessible live terminals 5.2 pg 63)
    Depends on who is checking...i was recently called in to do inspection on a hospital installation (as an independent inspector)...none of the DBs had labels...i was advised that the labels where busy being printed and that i should still issue the COC's...i refused and my payment was rejected because i didnt issue the COC's for the 30 DB which didnt have labels...i am not even going to go into the state of the wiring and having to help the "electricians" figue out the 2 way switching.

the other inspector who was passing the DB's which i failed... didnt feel labeling was a valid reason to fail them.

13. Thanks given for this post:

Ishmaelmo (25-Oct-18)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.