Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown - how to stay sane?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I wouldn't touch a government contract with a barge pole either - getting money out of them is near impossible and besides, they tender every year and go for the lowest price (no matter the terrible quality of the product)
    Agreed, Adrian. I don't do business with Govt. and I sell to tenderpreneurs only if they pay cash up front.
    They don't actually go for the lowest price. Yes, they will squeeze you, but expect you to load the price to include a payment to the top dogs.
    There are many examples where products were not procured directly from the manufacturers, but via middlemen at hugely inflated prices.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

2. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (19-Apr-20)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    Agreed, Adrian. I don't do business with Govt. and I sell to tenderpreneurs only if they pay cash up front.
    They don't actually go for the lowest price. Yes, they will squeeze you, but expect you to load the price to include a payment to the top dogs.
    There are many examples where products were not procured directly from the manufacturers, but via middlemen at hugely inflated prices.
    The first time i got a call for one of these deals ...where the person indicated to me that they had been awarded a large contract but needed a person with my kind of qualifications and experience to take on the contract... as they had no experience in the electrical field ...just the right contacts... all i had to do was pay a small fee... i have a goal to reach (30 years in business) but there is and has always been a catch to the goal... like everything ...it has T&C's attached... one of the conditions and the most difficult ...I have to be a moral person and not a business person... what this means is that i cannot cannot pay bribes for work ...or any under hand dealings... anyone who runs a business will know what i am talking about.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    They say success comes from hard work ...what they forget to tell you is at what cost.

I look back at how hard i have worked to keep this business going ...I should be one of the richest men in the world... some will say i didnt follow the guide lines... i would agree... if there is one thing my father and one of my mentors taught me... it is not written in any business guidelines ...be a humble... honest person .. i may not have millions stashed away in the bank ...but what i do know is that people i deal with be it business or in my personal capacity ...trust me... and that is more important to me than anything money could buy.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

5. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (20-Apr-20), Chrisjan B (24-Apr-20)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    The first time i got a call for one of these deals ...where the person indicated to me that they had been awarded a large contract but needed a person with my kind of qualifications and experience to take on the contract... as they had no experience in the electrical field ...just the right contacts... all i had to do was pay a small fee... i have a goal to reach (30 years in business) but there is and has always been a catch to the goal... like everything ...it has T&C's attached... one of the conditions and the most difficult ...I have to be a moral person and not a business person... what this means is that i cannot cannot pay bribes for work ...or any under hand dealings... anyone who runs a business will know what i am talking about.
    And who was going to carry the cost of material and labour during the project?
    Surely they would not expect you to do it, now would they

With these kind of deals, I simply state, money up front with the value of my portion of the order and the rest you can keep.
    Haven't had one biting yet.
    Have heard a number of times where the project was completed and the middle man took the money and disappeared.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    And who was going to carry the cost of material and labour during the project?
    Surely they would not expect you to do it, now would they

With these kind of deals, I simply state, money up front with the value of my portion of the order and the rest you can keep.
    Haven't had one biting yet.
    Have heard a number of times where the project was completed and the middle man took the money and disappeared.
    Business rule no.1 ...never trust ANYONE.

I could write a book on thieves in business... they come in every size...shape and colour.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Business rule no.1 ...never trust ANYONE.

I could write a book on thieves in business... they come in every size...shape and colour.
    Agreed, you can even get screwed by your own shareholders!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    After a month without income, I was able to register for essential services/supplies and was fortunate enough to do two deals for April. Almost made my March T/o. By 10 am on the 30/04/2020 I had all my (little) paperwork done and submitted to my accountant. By Lunchtime she replied that my vat returns had been submitted and that there is a small refund due to me. Now how is that for service!
    By the way, This lady is extremely busy with payrolls and assisting SME's with applying for UIF and loans. Just very efficient and trustworthy!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    After a month without income, I was able to register for essential services/supplies and was fortunate enough to do two deals for April. Almost made my March T/o. By 10 am on the 30/04/2020 I had all my (little) paperwork done and submitted to my accountant. By Lunchtime she replied that my vat returns had been submitted and that there is a small refund due to me. Now how is that for service!
    By the way, This lady is extremely busy with payrolls and assisting SME's with applying for UIF and loans. Just very efficient and trustworthy!
    Good news

People who were prepared to get out and look for work or try make something happen ... have come out this lockdown with a smile ...the ones who have had nothing better to do than moan about everything from the booze to cigarettes... walking the dog and shyte are gonna be the ones who are crying long tears right now... thay have been left behind... with bad comes opportunity... some people have grabbed it with both hands.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Good news

People who were prepared to get out and look for work or try make something happen ... have come out this lockdown with a smile ...the ones who have had nothing better to do than moan about everything from the booze to cigarettes... walking the dog and shyte are gonna be the ones who are crying long tears right now... thay have been left behind... with bad comes opportunity... some people have grabbed it with both hands.
    Ian, I agree. You have to decide whether you want to be disadvantaged and disenfranchised or whether you want to lead from the front. It is not always easy, but better than sitting on your arse and asking for handouts.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    We are so fortunate that we live in a quiet suburb where one can still see lots of birds and a little bit of wildlife.
    These are beggars that come for their jam or peanut butter snacks on a daily basis.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200417_073508 (3).jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	7880

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast