Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: COC filled in example

Thanks

COC filled in example

I have seen quite alot of COC's filled in. Everyone has some errors, some parts not completed, a common error is the difference between a registered person and a licenced installation electrician.
    By this i mean your company or name registered with the DOL. Then also your wiremans licence no. Confusion on the COC to where it must go....
    Then , they ask you for your readings,, then your meter's name that you used......is this relevant''
    You then have to fill in your name and address in a few places, which is a schlep.
    I notice some contractors skip out a lot of that Yadda and just stamp it once with their company stamp...this contains all the contact info.
    But then they havent completed all the other blocks...hmm...The inspectors recon this is fraudulent and COC isnt legal.
    Lawyers recon, well you say the job is legal, on the yellow paper , you signed it, you are responsible for it.

So to the powers that be, it would be nice to get a simple PDF copy of a correctly filled in COC of a 220v home and a COC of a 380v home for an example. I have used a domestic situation so as to keep it simple. You can put fictitious name and address in.
    Yours ELECT1

Thanks
    I have no industry knowledge, but I always maintained that the COC is in most cases not worth the paper its printed on.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Thanks
    Houses4Rent I wont start but I assume to you "cheapest" is best,and corners are there for cutting

Thanks
    Hi mikilianes

Not at all. I just think that many certificates are not done properly and the layman like me never knows. I saw a few when buying my 6 properties and soemtimes even when my clienst buy and I had a hinch that they were all not that well. But since the regulations change so often they expire shortly thereafter anyway.

I only have one personal experience. I had an small extension built by an informal builder and needed an COC. Real simple a few sockets and 3 light points. The one electrician said instatllation was not done correctly and this and that needs to be done. The next electrician issued the COC without hesitation. So who is right and who is worng? I wil probaby never know, but as long as I have the COC I did my duty. And yes, I know it can only be issued by people with the right wireman qualification, not any electrician.
    Houses4Rent
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Houses4Rent View Post
    Hi mikilianes

Not at all. I just think that many certificates are not done properly and the layman like me never knows. I saw a few when buying my 6 properties and soemtimes even when my clienst buy and I had a hinch that they were all not that well. But since the regulations change so often they expire shortly thereafter anyway.

I only have one personal experience. I had an small extension built by an informal builder and needed an COC. Real simple a few sockets and 3 light points. The one electrician said instatllation was not done correctly and this and that needs to be done. The next electrician issued the COC without hesitation. So who is right and who is worng? I wil probaby never know, but as long as I have the

COC I did my duty. And yes, I know it can only be issued by people with the right wireman qualification, not any electrician.

I hate to tell you, that you as the property owner are liable for your property. You got to make sure that the COC that you are given is not a fraudulent one , because if your house burns down the insurance might say that your installation didnt comply and we will only pay out X instead of Y. You will then have to sort it out with the guy that certified your property, even to take him to court..
    Its not as easy as you think.
    Small stuff can be rectified relatively inexpensively, but larger stuff can really hurt one pocket.

A valueless piece of paper is just that.
    But you aren't on your own, thousands of people are in the same boat.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ELECT 1 View Post
    But you aren't on your own, thousands of people are in the same boat.
    They said that the Titanic could not sink, it took a lot of souls with. The fact that we are all on the same boat does not make it go away.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    They said that the Titanic could not sink, it took a lot of souls with. The fact that we are all on the same boat does not make it go away.
    Cant argue with your statement.

I have always said, this certificate of compliance should have been discussed with all the roll players.
    But the powers that be just went a head , discussed it with their mates , and now look what we sit with.

The installation either complies, or doesn't. But most use the criteria is it reasonably safe. This is open to many different opinions, and can be manipulated to suit ones needs........
    My rant now over

Thanks
    I hate to tell you, that you as the property owner are liable for your property. You got to make sure that the COC that you are given is not a fraudulent one
    I have no problems that is my property and I am responsible to the best of my ability. And I think most people have no idea that not any sparky can issue a COC. So I a might be already light years ahead. However, how is Joe Blogs supposed to recognize a fraudulent COC then? One can take a good lock, maybe check out whether the issuer is registered and authorised at a push, but anything beyond that is unreasonable to expect. After all a so call professional has be hired to do professional work. One cannot be expected to know everything and to verify everything.

If I but a property I believe the onus to make sure all is above board before transfer is the sellers.

If I go to a bank and get cash out of their hands I have reasnable expectations that I do not get false notes from them. Would you not?
    Houses4Rent
    083-3115551

Thanks
    I have no problems that is my property and I am responsible to the best of my ability. And I think most people have no idea that not any sparky can issue a COC. So I a might be already light years ahead. However, how is Joe Blogs supposed to recognize a fraudulent COC then? One can take a good lock, maybe check out whether the issuer is registered and authorised at a push, but anything beyond that is unreasonable to expect. After all a so call professional has be hired to do professional work. One cannot be expected to know everything and to verify everything.

If I but a property I believe the onus to make sure all is above board before transfer is the sellers.

If I go to a bank and get cash out of their hands I have reasnable expectations that I do not get false notes from them. Would you not?

Like the way you think

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hate to tell you, that you as the property owner are liable for your property. You got to make sure that the COC that you are given is not a fraudulent one , because...
    I have no problems that is my property and I am responsible to the best of my ability. And I think most people have no idea that not any sparky can issue a COC. So I a might be already light years ahead. However, how is Joe Blogs supposed to recognize a fraudulent COC then?
    Even EThekwini municipality doesn't believe it has a responsibility to ensure that the COC submitted to connect a new electrical installation isn't fraudulent; or even check that it's properly filled out judging by the one case I've had a look at during last week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.