Thread: An association/platform/group for the little guys

Platinum Member
    Thanks

An association/platform/group for the little guys

Million rand projects, 10 plus staff and dealing with the public requires a support structure, like an association of sorts.

However when you are a little guy, every single little extra cost counts.

I have been both, I was a member of an association for many many years.

Would it not be better for everyone in the long run to be included in the industry, big and small.

I speak to a lot of small operators and they all have the same goals as all us do, they want to do the right thing they want the support and a platform to share their knowledge and discuss issue and challenges they face on a daily basis.

With all the technology available to day, it is easy to just start a group and share, as many have already do.

I want to hear from all the little guys, what are your thoughts?

One thing that most trade type people battle with and I am one of those, ADMIN and paperwork , it is the only reason my business is not a multi million operation.

I hate doing paperwork, still to this day I have job book which I use to run my little business, the same way I have for 32 years.

I have also considered getting all the little guys to setup a platform so that on those days when you just cant take on anymore work, you can just post a message and see if anyone is looking for work or can assist to get on top of things.

I have been doing this for a long time and I know the struggle.
    Last edited by Isetech; 15-Aug-22 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This may be a good idea. I have always believed in collaboration and in my experience it often leads to bigger things.
    Small guys do not always have the means to do big contracts and also wait 30 - 60 days for payment. This can be passed on to the guys with the muscle.
    The big guys in return do not want to be bothered with "rats & mice" business and can pass the smaller household work on to the smaller guys.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I love that idea of a group of small proper one man band and maybe his helper.

I am such person and rely a lot on day staff at times but the issue is I don't have anyone I can trust to go to a site and do the job for me to keep the client happy. Some days I want to split myself Into 2 hahah.

So if there was a group of okes that I can meet over a lunch to see how they are and then say look I have a job here or need help pulling cable or wiring a DB and I know I can trust they know what to do. I would really like that.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Doesn't work in our valley. Don't know about other areas. Here it's dog eats dog. Tried it and failed with distinctions.

I also never refer anyone else, even if I know of plumbers or brickies or any other trade and I am asked if I know anyone, my answer is always the same ... unfortunately not.

If you refer someone and they stuff up, you've lost a client. Been there, done that, many many moons ago.
    Call me what you like, I look after myself and myself only when it comes to business.

That's why this forum for me is so lekker. Discuss problems or offer advice to others who are far far away from you. They do not effect your business in any way. Do it with someone close by and they steal your clients and talk kak about you behind your back. No balls to say it in front of you.

I sincerely hope you can get something off the ground in your area that works, but I have my doubts .

Peace out.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    If you refer someone and they stuff up, you've lost a client. Been there, done that, many many moons ago.
    Call me what you like, I look after myself and myself only when it comes to business.
    Agreed, you will never refer anyone that you cannot trust to do a good job. The difference here is company ABC does contracts only, while Sole Bakkie operator service households only. Different markets altogether. If you have worked with a subcontractor that is worth his while, why not give the guy a good reference.

I also operate in a cut-throat industry where the shady characters cut margins as they do not pay vat and taxes. However, since being on my own, my previous competitors are now my suppliers and customers. Some of them bend over backwards to accommodate me. Maybe because I didn't regard them as enemies, but as competitors.

Reputation is very important and especially single operators have to realise that YOU are the brand. Forget about the business name. When your name is mentioned, what comes to mind first? Integrity, service, respect, good humour or fly-by night?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Finances and financing is also a problem. If you wan't to open an account at a wholesaler they want to know your yearley sales to determine if you are worthy to be a client. After latge projects a retainer is kept for whatever reason for a fix period. I can't afford it! Let's ad the admin lady, bookkeaper accountant etc. Where are the costs before doing your first project or receiving first payement