Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop

Bronze Member
    Thanks

New Laptop

Hi all

My wife has a new laptop which came with office 2016 trial version pre-installed running on windows 10.

It seems the pre-installed software is more a headache from all the google searches I have done.

I want to remove it from the laptop to install the new Office 365 that we purchased.

Went to the control panel to uninstall the program but its nowhere to be found. Please IT guru's advise how do I get rid of the trial version of office before installing the new one.

With the trial version one cannot find mail in the control panel either to set up mail.

Any advice appreciated. The more detailed the answers the better, I do know my way around the computer but by no means an expert.

Thanks
    Kavesh

Email problem
    Thanks
    i cant speak for everybody, i got a laptop with windows ten and hated it. I said it was a bad operating system and used my old laptop with windows 7 on it for a long time. Windows ten .. well min had ridiculous amounts of updates and was slow despite it being a very fast computer. I disabled the auto updating and while it eased up somewhat it still was a pretty bad user experience.

I then came across the real issue a while later by chance. Windows ten comes with alot of software that update with windows and , i guess this is a matter of opinion but alot of that software is either not the best, or just not needed ( bloatware).

Once i started taking these guys out one by one it helped alot. I am now at the point where im happy with windows ten and my pc runs like it should. Much of the software also depends on the manufacturer of the laptop. As they may have some of their own goodies installed.

My point is yes windows ten has some rubbish they send with their operating system, but like im my case it was asus who crammed my pc with alot of unneeded constantly updating programs.
    Graphic Design company in East London South Africa | Web design company in East London South Africa
    " A plumbers tap always leaks " - Great advice from a forum member

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by New Perspective studio View Post
    i cant speak for everybody, i got a laptop with windows ten and hated it. I said it was a bad operating system and used my old laptop with windows 7 on it for a long time. Windows ten .. well min had ridiculous amounts of updates and was slow despite it being a very fast computer. I disabled the auto updating and while it eased up somewhat it still was a pretty bad user experience.

I then came across the real issue a while later by chance. Windows ten comes with alot of software that update with windows and , i guess this is a matter of opinion but alot of that software is either not the best, or just not needed ( bloatware).

Once i started taking these guys out one by one it helped alot. I am now at the point where im happy with windows ten and my pc runs like it should. Much of the software also depends on the manufacturer of the laptop. As they may have some of their own goodies installed.

My point is yes windows ten has some rubbish they send with their operating system, but like im my case it was asus who crammed my pc with alot of unneeded constantly updating programs.
    Not the answer I was looking for but I do appreciate your comment and you have me thinking about this now. I do know that windows does do a lot of updates. Would it at all be possible to perhaps list some of those programs that are not really needed and use up lots of resources? We all try to have a decent running computer and often one wonders why it seems less efficient in performance.

Thanks

Email problem
    Thanks
    You can simply google it and you will find alot of apps and ways to work with the shell to remove these porgams, like i siad however it will be unique to your laptop manufacturer to some degree and maybe even its date of manufacture. I would post links here but it looks like many of them are from forums like redit. Just google it. How to remove windows ten bloatware, maybe even add you manufacturer in the search term.

You will see first off that everybody is complaining and microsoft is taking notice and exercpt

It seems even Microsoft is getting sick of bloatware.

The software giant has built a tool designed to "refresh" systems with a new copy of Windows 10, which takes aim at preinstalled junk apps, the security flaw-ridden apps that come bundled with almost every new consumer PC.

SECURITY RISKS
    It's time to ban bloatware, the persistent PC security pest
    It's time to ban bloatware, the persistent PC security pest

By installing flaw-ridden apps, computer makers are punching security holes in new PCs.

Read More

The tool was first released in May, but is now included as part of Microsoft's second "fast-ring" test build of Windows 10 Anniversary Update this week.
    Graphic Design company in East London South Africa | Web design company in East London South Africa

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. Was not happy to download a program to run on the new laptop from the internet, eventually used microsoft help. Very helpful and efficient.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Glad you got it sorted out, you used the online help tool or the oficial forum > in my experience the latter isnt a very helpful tool as you get bots that refer you to posts that you already read.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by New Perspective studio View Post
    Glad you got it sorted out, you used the online help tool or the oficial forum > in my experience the latter isnt a very helpful tool as you get bots that refer you to posts that you already read.
    Had assistance from one of their support staff who assisted in uninstalling the software and reinstalling the trial version which was a much better install and mail appeared in the control panel. Just purchased my office 365 software so will install that now.

Thanks
    Hi all

In Windows 10, only the professional version allows you to schedule windows updates. In previous versions you could select when and what you update.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kavesh View Post
    Had assistance from one of their support staff who assisted in uninstalling the software and reinstalling the trial version which was a much better install and mail appeared in the control panel. Just purchased my office 365 software so will install that now.
    Just to close off this thread. Not sure if you guys experienced this as well. When the purchased version of office was installed we kept getting the message saying that the licence will expire in a few days, which really was the trial version. Microsoft office support struggled to resolve the issue for hours and eventually the person assisting deleted the trial version profile on their side before the licence version was successfully installed.

Seems like a bug on their system as the new software should have superceded the trial version. Anyways all is sorted and all is good now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast