Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best car to buy on a 30k budget

Thanks

Best car to buy on a 30k budget

Hi guys,
    I would like to get your guys opinions on what is the best car to buy with a 30k budget. like for a first car. It should be judged on reliability, cheapness of parts, risk of theft and fuel consumption. what do you guys think would be the best choice?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'd recommend that you drop by an auction (like Burchmore's) and get a feel for what you can buy in your price range. Once you've identified a couple of cars in your price range, read up on their reliability, cost of parts, etc.

If you find a car that you'd like to bid on, take a buddy who knows about cars along to have a look at it. You buy voetstoots, and the untrained eye might miss a few small issues.

Good luck!
    Last edited by rfnel; 03-Nov-11 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Typo
    "Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil
    Riaan Nel
    Freelance Software Development | LinkedIn | Skype

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On a small budget like that, how you buy is probably a big factor as Riaan suggests above.

My only other comment is it's probably better to buy an older car with low milage than a newer car with high milage...

Thanks
    I think the cheaper cars like older Toyota conquests and corollas are more likely to be stolen than a R150000.00 BMW or Audi. The cheaper cars that won't get stolen would be an old Renault or Peugeot but they're expensive to repair. I would be wary about buying at auction if you have no experience, there's lots of pitfalls and traps to fall into, you need an expert rather than a buddy.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    It's definitely more on the condition/previous owner than on the brand, IMO. Would definitely not be looking at bmw, audi's and merc, and although you can buy them at low prices fixing them will cost you more than they are worth.

We had a R35K budget about 4 years ago to buy a better car...my only wish was that it had air-con. We ended up buying a 2004, high milage 140k at the time, fixed up code 3, fiat palio 1.6 el. Drives well, no problem with engine and gearbox, air con fantastic....but other (small) parts have failed regularly...heater, one window winder, light, c/locking - none of which I have bothered fixing. Not sure if I would recommend it, but has (so far ) served us pretty well and are cheap. I bought it because a courier I know has been using UNO's for ages and recons the gearbox and engines where fantastic - had lot's and sold them when they got to 300K.

Thanks
    Check out Gumtree as well
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I recommend VW just be very careful some City-Golfs are good others are crap so make sure it wasn't in an accident and look for rust. Mechanically they are easy to fix easy to do a engine replacement and very easy to keep them running they don't ask for much. Normally you can get them for R24000 "in good condition" and you can spend the rest on whatever the car needs" I do recommend a good alarm system AND tracker... For the golf.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    what about hyundai elantra j2? it has 280000 on the clock and its R24000

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    what about hyundai elantra j2? it has 280000 on the clock and its R24000
    I speak under correction, but a mate of mine had a old Hyundai Accent and the cost of parts were through the roof. I'd recommend that you phone around for quotes on parts before you buy anything.

Although Pap_sak advised against buying a BMW or a Merc, I've seen a lot of them in the classifieds with sky-high mileages. If nothing else, it would seem like they're reliable (just an observation). I have a family member with a 1990's C Class Merc with 400K+ on the clock which is still going strong. Just stay away from the E36 3 Series BMW's - crooks love 'em.
    "Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil
    Riaan Nel
    Freelance Software Development | LinkedIn | Skype

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Check out Gumtree as well
    I would not buy a car from Gumtree ............ or be VERY carefull !!

I have just bought a second hand car for my son - my budget was also R30 000 - I had to up it to 50 - could not find anything reliable out there - You can get a good Reno Clio for 50, but watch out because at 100 000km you need to have the cam replaced and it costs quite a bit - my mechanic advised me to stay away from them. I bought him a Corsa lite ....... beautifull little car - very clean and runs like a dream and services and maintenace is cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast