Thread: Reject cheap junk sold at wholesalers

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Reject cheap junk sold at wholesalers

As we know SANS approval is no longer required, the result, the market is being flooded with reject junk, with no markings.

As pointed out to me during my visit to numerous wholesaler, nobody gives a crap anymore, then why would I even bother to waste my energy, because it wastes me time and my customers money.

Wholesalers and contractors will tell you that customers want the cheapest, so long as you can issue a document (legit or not) which will allow them to sell the property or be covered by insurance, they just dont care.

How does buying cheap junk affect my bottom line, at my rate (R850 per hour) it slows down my install rate, having to deal with cheapo rubbish cables, it takes longer to strip the cable and fit the glands, if I can just pull the piece of string and remove the wires, then slide the gland on should takes me around 7 minutes to prepare, instead now It takes me around 18 minutes to prepare, because now I have to use the blade to cut the inner sheath first , I work a 16 hour day for 3 days preparing all the cables at the DB's , throw in a frustration factor and I am literally pissing money down the drain.

Once all the big cables are done, now you have to first check the wire doing the burn test to make sure it is actually copper and not tinned copper, more time wasted, then strip all the PVC pushin glands because they dont slide into the end boxes, so you have to hit them in with a hammer because the mould is not suitable for the round boxes, once again throw in a frustration factor and you got a bunch of unhappy frustrated worker on site cursing crap they have to work with, say good bye to work flow.

You wonder why staff are taking longer to finish projects and the the quality of workmanship has gone for a ball of shit, maybe take a look at the reject rubbish being dumped on site that we are expected to work with.

If you want a better quality job, done faster, hold your electrical wholesaler accountable for the reject junk they are dumping on sites, at premium prices.

@ R2.00 for a reject PVC gland, which doesn't fit into round boxes, with plastic "blowout" and the rubbish compression compound which is now more plastic than rubber, which results in a loose fit, because the thread strips before the plastic can compress.

Some one mentioned standards, what standards?

It could explain why section 4 - 11. The installation including all components complies with SANS 10142-1 and 12. no longer apply to the new COC layout.

The next question would be why waste time filling out a COC, if the standards have been dropped to accept reject junk, why are we as inspectors expected to sign a documents for this junk. If the supplier are not accountable, why should we as inspectors be the ones who have to take on the responsibility.

I hear the phrase "time is money", maybe it doesn't apply to the elctrical industry ?

Man this industry is a f%^& joke. Thank goodness the public are such a bunch of sucker they just accept and pay.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This happening in other industries as well.

These cheap rubbish terminals they use on electronic equipment, such as gate controllers, house alarms, where you spend extra time trying to fiddle the wires into the terminal, where there is no space to even see the terminal, and which does not have a spring clip to prevent the screw from guillotining the wire end when tightened, or the end of the wire breaking off once the plastic is stripped, because of the poor quality of wire, causing you to redo the connection, then find that the wire does not go into the hole because the so called plate to protect the wire from the screw is bent in the fastened position, requiring you to push in a small screw driver to return the bent metal to the open position.

Customers say my equipment is too expensive, because I use plugable terminals, making installation quick and easy, and not only that when repairs are required, simply disconnect and replace the board and reconnect.

The cost of the cheap connector versus the crap is maybe R10.00, which is way cheaper than the labour for the elcheapo connector.

I glad I am reaching the end of the line, where i will jump off and walk into the sunset with my fishing rod and sign "Gone Fishing!"
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I wish I could say the same, I lost all my investments thanks to a bad choice of brokers. I have been taking note of people making real money and one thing I have learnt, technology is so powerful that if you are not directing your energy and cutting back on staff and rent etc, you not going to survive.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I am finding that to get stuff that will last a long time is physically no longer produced... Sure there are examples of thing that are but a whole lot that is not.

I have replaced perfectly working ballasts from 1980 to new LED things per client request and those LEDs have failed within a year haha.

Good quality is hard to come by as it is hardly made anymore

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    While looking for plastic enclosures, I found this local manufacturer that also does PVC fittings, I am not sure of the quality, but may be a lead Easyhold
    You need hunt through their brochure to find the PVC fittings, not on the web page, and I see they are also in Durban.
    Last edited by Justloadit; 28-May-22 at 09:48 AM.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    I am finding that to get stuff that will last a long time is physically no longer produced... Sure there are examples of thing that are but a whole lot that is not.

I have replaced perfectly working ballasts from 1980 to new LED things per client request and those LEDs have failed within a year haha.

Good quality is hard to come by as it is hardly made anymore

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk
    The so called 50 000 hr LED warranty flies right out the window when the lamp fails after a couple of months, the excuse, unstable power in SA , just smile.

The good news is I did a follow up visit in a factory/warehouse were I replaced all the 5 ft lights with LED lighting SA 5 ft fittings. The lights are still working and non have failed yet (the project was completed more than 5 years ago). The installation was quick and easy. the fittings had a cable clip system, quick money for jam. Unplug, cut drop the old fitting, fling the steel cable over the P2000 slide, using a gripple connector, pulled the light to the correct height using a laser level and plug in, done, next.

I have also completed new KFC shop installs were LED SA downlight fittings and lamps were spec'd, the light are still working years later. I did have 2 fail within a week of installation, they were replaced no questions asked and the new replacements fittings delivered the following day.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I have found these lights specified on many projects, not cheaper, but you get what you pay.

https://www.ledlighting.co.za/

8. Thanks given for this post:

Dylboy (28-May-22)

Thanks
    A certain security company here had the lighting in the control room upgraded to led.

Unfortunately they had to revert back to conventional lighting as the led drivers caused so much interference to their radio equipment that meaningfull comms were virtually impossible.

Thanks
    Forgot to mention, the led spotlights fitted to their vehicles caused the same interference rendering the 2 way radios useless.