Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free quotes

Thanks
    “When I get a call from a random I always ask what happened to your last sparky”
    When the client just want you to start urgent without properly looking at your quotation especially on a half completed project and without putting down some deposit you need to see the red lights flashing. Just wait for that deposit first before you offload any material and start installing. Some people build and do additions without paying contractors. It’s easy for them to suddenly deny you access from site when they decide they are not paying. You can end up standing in the queue at their lawyer for payment and get a few cents in the rand if your lucky. That is unfortunately part of the game and to spot them is not always easy.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifrug View Post
    “When I get a call from a random I always ask what happened to your last sparky”
    When the client just want you to start urgent without properly looking at your quotation especially on a half completed project and without putting down some deposit you need to see the red lights flashing. Just wait for that deposit first before you offload any material and start installing. Some people build and do additions without paying contractors. It’s easy for them to suddenly deny you access from site when they decide they are not paying. You can end up standing in the queue at their lawyer for payment and get a few cents in the rand if your lucky. That is unfortunately part of the game and to spot them is not always easy.
    Been there done that and have a draw full of those Tshirts.

I had a customer get me to take over a job ...all the wires were cut flush in the boxes ... I had to use a long nose pliers to pull the wiring out the pipes (What a mission ... the alarm bells should have been ringing loud and clear) ... after 2 months of working there ... no payment ... went back and did the same thing cut all the wires flush with the boxes ... lost a lot of money on that project.

Contractors need to stop this crap of sending invoices and waiting for payment ... we need to set up a system where the job is completed and the bill is handed to the customer and payment made before leaving site ... you take your car for a service ... you pay ... you collect ... you buy bread and milk at the shop ... you pay ... you collect ... Pizza delivery ... you pay ... you collect ... its 2020 ... time to wake up and stop this crap.

When you get a call ... the first question should be ... "how will you be paying ... cash ... credit card ...(no eft unless an instant eft ) ... then ... How can I assist you.

If I had to add up all the bad debts in the past 29 years ... my house would be paid off and I would have reitred by now ... and I dont mean just the customer who didnt pay ... I am talking about the ones who short paid ... the companies I have sub contracted to ... with the same bullshyte ... we didnt make money on this project ... we will make it up on the next ( dont get caught with with crap) when you see the owner living in a 10 million rand house and his wife driving a 2 million car ... kids in private schools ...etc ... it thanks to suckers like us who bust our backs making tons of cash for them while they banging the sales rep in some B&B while his wife is playing mommy at the book club ... I could write a book on the bullshyte I have seen and had to tolerate.

It is simple you require my service ... you send me plan ... a detailed list of equipment required ... I will vist the site on my rounds to check a few things ... then send a quote.

If you dont have a clue what you want ... then expect the contractor to come up with all the solutions ... work out all the cabling routes ... load test the site ... do all the measurements ... make up a bill of quantities ... send it it to the wholesaler to cost ... you need get out your cloud.

I contact landys and Gyr ... I need to setup a meter already on site and link it to a network ... the requirements before they step on site ... pay some person R3000 cash up front who I have never met ... never been to site ... has no physical address only a cellphone number ... I also have to download the sofware mysellf ... it looks like we will be throwing out the meter and replacing it with a different make.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Hi Adrian.

I agree do your research on a contractor to see if he is in fact registered with the DOL, If so then you know you are getting a proper registered contractors that does pay workman's comp etc..

Go as far as to get references if possible, that would my advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12