Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 - Lock down

Email problem
    Thanks
    I've had my coaching business for 2 years. I've helped more than 10 clients grow their businesses. I don't need to have loads of mega successful businesses to help clients grow theirs. I have certain coaching skills and expertise that people find valuable. People frankly don't hire me based on how many businesses I have. They hire me for results.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
    I've had my coaching business for 2 years. I've helped more than 10 clients grow their businesses. I don't need to have loads of mega successful businesses to help clients grow theirs. I have certain coaching skills and expertise that people find valuable. People frankly don't hire me based on how many businesses I have. They hire me for results.
    I hope you have more skills than the majority ...considering the fail rate of business in SA is 50 - 80 % in the first 5 years and less than 2 % survive longer than 10 years... it tells me that business advice being shared is only 2 % correct.

After being told i wouldnt survive the first 5 years because i am not part of the flock being guided into the system... which takes everything from you when you fail ...only you loose... the smart people are the ones who fool everyone else into thinking their ideas are the best way to achieve wealth ...but never loose anything ...banks ...insurnace to mention a few.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks

2 years of coaching ...you still wet behind the ears your first clients hasnt even past the 5 year mark yet ...i look forward to seeing you bragging about all the successful businesses you assisted...in 10 years time.
    Last edited by ians; 02-Apr-20 at 06:24 PM.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I can see value in what you do even though you don't have your own business. Entrepreneurs (yes I speak for myself) lack basic skills. We are generally people who like to get things done but we lack admin / financial / strategic and tactical skills. In a sense your function can be likened to an engineer plotting the course for a space ship to Mars yet you don't have to pilot the ship yourself to know what is required.

I am of the opinion that 99% of business that fail do so due to a lack of all round basic business skills. Unless the basic "business engine" is structured and run correctly it will fail no matter how good the product.

We all need mentors to keep us on the right path - I sometimes forget to invoice timously, to pay bills, to order stock etc because I get bogged down in the details of delivery. My dream is to have a PA - like extended memory - to make sure that important things get done.

OK, so, even though I was a bit harsh with you to start with I will honestly say that I see the value in what you do. The bottom line is that we should all be open to assistance at a fair price if we feel that it might add value (and if it doesn't work out then we learn from that too)

My business / admin / financial planning suck big time!

5. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (03-Apr-20)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Adrian has summed it up very well. Most small entrepreneurs are extremely good at what they do, but lack the necessary admin and management skills. They see an opportunity and they have the balls to go for it. Unfortunately, business, like farming, is much more complicated and that is where the value of a good mentor, business coach or accountant that has the ability to see the bigger picture, comes in.
    The biggest problem of self employed people is that they often get so busy chasing after business, that they isolate themselves. They miss out on important new developments or legislation and even opportunities. I have found value in joining our Chamber of Commerce and also a small group (forum) of entrepreneurs and business people from diverse backgrounds to discuss and share issues. That has also taught me the value of networking. Funny that people who are always saying how busy they are, are the one's who get the least work done?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

7. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (03-Apr-20)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    Funny that people who are always saying how busy they are, are the one's who get the least work done?
    I dont agree with you ...i was busy from the 6 December - 30 Jan this year ... I relocated half a factory and made sure it was ready to run when everyone arrived back at work... its a pity we didnt plan it for March ... I could have spent the 21 days in lockdown in the factory.

I have also found that if i am not busy i tend to "play" rather than focus on what is going to happen tomorrow.

People who know me ...know not to ask me if i am busy ... i am always busy ...busy working ...busy fishing... busy riding my bicycle ...busy typing crap on forums (my way to release from the pressure of work and other stuff).

As i have mentioned ... the problem is the system being taught ...if it was so great ... 98 % of businesses would succeed.

We all know what we do wrong... the stuff Adrian listed is pretty accurate for most of us small business.

i am seriously considering getting a PA ... rather than employing more staff.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    holy crap ...suddenly this forum has become another youtube channel... dumping adverts ?

You have to try find the content amongst the adverts

ooops looks like ad block went on the blink... reset and back to no ads... i didnt realise that ad block worked so well...until now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    considering the fail rate of business in SA is 50 - 80 % in the first 5 years and less than 2 % survive longer than 10 years... it tells me that business advice being shared is only 2 % correct.
    Or maybe the business advice is 100% correct but only 2% use it.

Founder of Growth Surge - Helping entrepreneurs create more wealth and enjoy more freedom.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig Whitton View Post
    i didnt use it and i am part of the 2 %

anyone else who has been operating longer than 10 years been using the advice?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig Whitton View Post
    Or 98% of "businesses" shouldn't exist in the 1st place because they were not viable to start with.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast