Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: programs freezing and error reports

Thanks

programs freezing and error reports

ive been experiencing some problems with running programs on my computer lately, i know that they are installed properly and i have msn and avg that open up automatically when i start my computer up so its not that they are taking long to open because there are too many things running. sometimes a program will freeze and just not open at all but stick on that it is not responding, what could the possible reasons for this be?

Thanks
    It could be almost anything. Windows machines tend to get that way after a while...

• Uninstall problematic or newly added apps
    • Use msconfig to set which apps start up with your computer (Be very careful here as you can cause harm)
    • Try a free registry cleaner
    • backup, format and reinstall windows
    • Google: Windows machine cleanup process
    You could uninstall some programmes

Thanks
    shot slyce that seems to be quite a few things that i need to look at, are you sure the windows machine clean up process and the free registry cleaner will be ok, i know that ther are a lot of virus going around especially with msn and facebook. so im a bit reluctant to download something off the net without a clear knowledge that its safe to use. any suggestions on specific programs?

Thanks
    or anyone? would be a great help!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by creative View Post
    so im a bit reluctant to download something off the net without a clear knowledge that its safe to use.
    I think you are far from alone. My best tip is to Google whatever product you are thinking of using before you install. Generally if there is a problem, it tends to show up somewhere. And if there is not a lot of discussion on the product on geek forums etc., it might be a good idea to avoid it until there is some sort of identifiable reputation.

Thanks
    great thanks i will do that, suppose you should never do anything in life before you have full knowledge on it first, will google problems and maybe that wilkl help

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When it comes to Wikipedia, I tend to bear in mind that the content can be edited by anyone. I prefer reading what is up in the forums. You tend to hear real life experience...

Thanks
    so i have done some research and my best bets are that its taking so long for things to open up because i have too little RAM or i need to defrag. i dont understand how my RAM could have decreased though, so do you think i should just defrag my hard drive?

Thanks
    Hey Creative

Your RAM doesn't physically decrease, it just gets used up more and more with every program you open. When this happens, your machine uses your hard drive as "virtual memory" which slows things down. You'll notice that if your harddrive light will stay on when the pc freezes, it's usually due to a lack of memory.

So as a first suggestion, maybe get more RAM for the machine. Secondly, try not to run too many applications at the same time.

As for a defrag, it should help slightly, but won't give you the boost that you want. But it's good to run in any case.

As for software, a good antivirus is key. You are running AVG which is good.

Try CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com as a housekeeping tool. It'll remove temp files, wrong registry entries etc. which might make a difference.

Hope this info helps.

Disclaimer: Info above offered as advice, and no responsibility is accepted by author in the event of a system problem

Thanks
    I recently had a window pop up saying I need to install windows firewall, I did and a lot of my freezing problems started then.
    I also uninstalled and reinstalled AVG before switching windows firewall off and everything is running so much faster now without freezing.

When do I need a firewall? How does it help me? Shouldn't one be part of my original windows installation?

Is AVG not enough for the everyday infections?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.