Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Inverter Install Compliance

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonye View Post
    Hi Bergie. I have been checking what the regulations say & based on this have come up with a diagram. Could you possibly let me know if this would pass a coc.
    http://www.power.edisplays.co.za/changeover.html
    Hi Tonye,
    Just a question...
    Why are you feeding your mini DB with a breaker that is on your main DB's EL, as the mini DB has its own EL anyway.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Sorry Deejatpsy, I missed your reply until now.

I haven't been through your control circuit completely but it looks way overcomplicated, I'd go with separate RCD's for the essential and non-essential then redesign it much simpler. Even better if the essential circuits are only supplying lighting and computer equipment and other ClassII appliances then make the sockets red dedicated and do away with the RCD entirely on the essential ccts.
    Hi Andy,
    I have since modified my design to include a 2nd EL solely for the use of the critical equipment and am in the process of redesigning the control circuit to simplify it as suggested.

Email problem
    Thanks
    hi tonye

your diagram looks good . i do it the same way. deejay is correct though the mini db supply breaker shouldnt be on the main dbs earth leakage relay.
    i use a modular changeover switch and install it in the mini db.
    as you mentioned , the customer can choose to leave it on inverter but be limited with total current or changeover to eskom and have full load.

Thanks
    My bad. have changed diagram
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2028 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	5414

One problem I had, was the inverter has a floating neutral on output side. Voltage tests between live & earth 110v, between neutral & earth 110v.
    Earth leakage on Mini DB showed an earth fault and would not trip.
    After consulting with an electrical engineer who stated the neutral needed a reference point, I connected the neutral to main earth on the output side of the inverter.
    Bingo, problem solved

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tonye View Post
    My bad. have changed diagram

Views:	2028 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	5414

One problem I had, was the inverter has a floating neutral on output side. Voltage tests between live & earth 110v, between neutral & earth 110v.
    Earth leakage on Mini DB showed an earth fault and would not trip.
    After consulting with an electrical engineer who stated the neutral needed a reference point, I connected the neutral to main earth on the output side of the inverter.
    Bingo, problem solved
    Ah hah!
    This solves a problem i have been finding of an earth fault not tripping the EL.
    So the solution is to earth the neutral on the load side(output) of the inverter?
    This makes sense.
    Thanx for the input.
    The inverters i have installed are line interactive inverters so no changeover switch is required. It switches automatically on mains fail, but even when Eskom is available it runs in bypass mode, still supplying the critical load with power at the rated maximum size of the inverter...

Thanks
    Glad I could help.

Thanks
    My inverters are also line interactive. The reason for running through the changeover switch is to allow the client to turn off
    Equipment which may overload the inverter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deejaypsy View Post
    Ah hah!
    This solves a problem i have been finding of an earth fault not tripping the EL.
    So the solution is to earth the neutral on the load side(output) of the inverter?
    This makes sense.
    Thanx for the input.
    The inverters i have installed are line interactive inverters so no changeover switch is required. It switches automatically on mains fail, but even when Eskom is available it runs in bypass mode, still supplying the critical load with power at the rated maximum size of the inverter...
    Just completed an installation. Pulling my hair out. Earth leakage keeps tripping when running on inverter
    mode. Apparently their are different types of earth leakage units.
    Type AC, sensitive to alternating current only
    Type A, sensitive to alternating current and/or pulsating current with DC components.
    Don't know if you have also experienced this.

Views:	912 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	5477

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Nice job!

Like the trunking you used and the way it has the curve into the flush mounted DB, very neat.
    I had no idea there was AC & A type earth leakages. Would the A type earth leakage have a difference with tripping on the inverter?

Normally we just implement a connection box at the output of the inverter/generator with a neutral bar inside and do a earth neutral connection and label it on the box.
    This is also the point where we bring our earth spike into the installation, so kind off kills 2 birds with one stone + being able to safely earth the alternative supply.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DieterT View Post
    Nice job!

Like the trunking you used and the way it has the curve into the flush mounted DB, very neat.
    I had no idea there was AC & A type earth leakages. Would the A type earth leakage have a difference with tripping on the inverter?

Normally we just implement a connection box at the output of the inverter/generator with a neutral bar inside and do a earth neutral connection and label it on the box.
    This is also the point where we bring our earth spike into the installation, so kind off kills 2 birds with one stone + being able to safely earth the alternative supply.
    Hi Dieter,
    Thanks for the compliment. The trunking is quite expensive but comes with all types of accesories,
    making a neat job. I was also not aware of different types of earth leakage units.
    Type AC should be fine on Pure sine wave inverters and Type A should work on Modified sine wave inverters. I will be doing further tests and let you know the outcome

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast