Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW SANS10142 part 1 + NEW COC + NEW REGULATIONS REGARDING SOLAR

Bronze Member
    Thanks

Lightbulb NEW SANS10142 part 1 + NEW COC + NEW REGULATIONS REGARDING SOLAR

Hold on to your seats, things are changing and by February 2016 we will have our new CoC, FINALLY an UPDATED SANS10142.... and most importantly the regulations required for installation of Solar PV (embedded generation)

Some changes to look forward to :
    -Single page CoC book (triplet copy) one for you, one for client and one to be kept in book to be return to DoL in order to obtain new book.
    -Test report is dependable on registered person. New standard test reports will be created and made freely available to contractors. They will be allowed to be modified in order to suit requirements.
    -Regs have been adapted for alternative supply installations. Also see SANS10142 part 3 (if not adapted into SANS10142 part 1)
    -All solar PV installations shall comply and have to have a valid certificate of compliance.
    -Installation of Solar PV and for that matter any other form of alternative supply will have to be done by a company that employs at full capacity an registered electrician.
    -So sorry, no more install it yourself and have a registered person do the electrical connection and issue a CoC.
    -Both DC and AC will have to comply and CoC test report will have both parts included.
    -Only IE's and MIE's able to certify DC side of installation (as per what I heard this only complies with the battery DC side and not the PV DC side)

2. Thanks given for this post:

Thanks
    So, are you saying I can't buy a 50W solar panel from the outdoor shops and fit it to my caravan, without a COC?

Thanks
    This is very interesting!
    I've long been wondering how any old dude off the street can read up about solar and then start up a business doing installs without any electrical qualifications on board!
    The voltages, especially on the DC side, are more than enough to kill a person, and the safety requirements (DC breakers and isolators, thickness of wiring, UV treated wiring for solar, etc) i am damn sure are often neglected, at least to some extent, whether it be intentionally, or through ignorance.
    I guess there'll be a whole new raft of courses even for us registered sparky's on how to inspect and test solar pv installs...not a bad idea at all as long as they make the courses more easily available (preferably closer to home please)!
    Good news for the industry though, that's for sure...
    We are not human beings undergoing a spiritual phase.....we are spiritual beings undergoing a human phase....

Thanks
    It certainly would be good news if the regs would be enforced. That will not be changing so at the end of the day it won't really make any difference other than a handful of sparkies going for the extra training at extra cost only to be the same drop in the bucket as now. DIY and outdoor shops will still be allowed to sell everything and wholesalers will still sell directly to the public. DOL will still make no effort to educate the public.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    It certainly would be good news if the regs would be enforced. That will not be changing so at the end of the day it won't really make any difference other than a handful of sparkies going for the extra training at extra cost only to be the same drop in the bucket as now. DIY and outdoor shops will still be allowed to sell everything and wholesalers will still sell directly to the public. DOL will still make no effort to educate the public.
    Unfortunately, I think this is the reality of the situation. I know quite a few sparky's who work unqualified. Dont get me wrong, they're bloody good electricians, but without enforcing the law, there might just as well be no law in the first place
    We are not human beings undergoing a spiritual phase.....we are spiritual beings undergoing a human phase....

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    It seems that Amendment 9 will be comming out soon. They hope for the New SANS10142 part 1 where alternative supply (Solar PV) is added and where medical locations have been removed to be out next year March, but that is just hoping. Further more, the new CoC is their plan of action, but if this plan ever comes into action, will remain to be seen...
    As always, all good ideas, but when it comes to implementation....FML

Thanks
    Any update on new the new amendment and COC booklets.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I would also be interested to know if there is in fact going to be an amendment 9.

Thanks
    Does anyone know if this is in place already?

Thanks
    I don't think there's going to be an Amdt 9. SANS 10142-1 edition 2 is in the draft stage, I not sure about it's expected release date though..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast