Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Downlight connections

Thanks
    Hi Sean

It's not just a personal preference.

There are a number of factors to take into account. ie. SANS 10142-1 , The Occupational Health and Safety Act , AND Manufacturer's specifications.
    Most people forget about the last 2 mentioned above.

All conduit through boxes, whether they are end boxes ( one way ), 2 way, 3 way or 4 way are not connection boxes or terminal boxes. They are draw boxes or inspection boxes much the same as inspection elbows, inspection tee pieces etc. ( Manufacturer's specs )

Don't feel alone, brother, I've been an electrical contractor for 45 years and only became aware of this about 2 years ago.

Peace out .. Derek

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    It does beg the question of why not just purchase floodlights with a decent length flex in the first place.

I'm not sure if you're 100% serious about this or whether you're playing devils advocate, I'm kinda hoping it's the latter.

Yes, you're saving money but I guess the issue is whether it's worth the cost.....You can buy a miniature in-line resin joint for R65.00 to extend the flex and an aluminium 90x36x30mm IP65 surface mount enclosure for R80.00 (probably half that price for a PVC or ABS enclosure). A couple of glands at maybe R2.00 each and 3 Wago connectors at R4.00 each so your total saving is about R160- minus whatever the cost is of you home made joint. If you'd bought a floodlight with a decent length flex in the first place your home made enclosure would have saved you less than a hundred bucks.

**EDIT** I just priced a plastic 100x100x50mm IP56 enclosure at R22.50 so that's under 40 bucks total with Wago's and glands.

Compliance problems I see are;

• That you're using items outside of the manufacturers specs and recommendations (see 6.3.7.1 below).
    • You're jointing a flex cable with ferrules which isn't using 'cable couplers or manufacturers' jointing kits' (see 6.3.7.1 below).
    • Light fittings fall under the fixed appliance regs apart from where they're specifically exempted and their input terminations require a 'suitable enclosure' (6.16.1.9 below) with a further reference to 6.6.4 which in turn says they must comply with distribution boards that form part of a fixed electrical installation and shall comply with SANS 1473-1.

Code:
    6.3.7.1 Joints and terminations of cables, cores and conductors shall be
    made in accordance with manufacturers' instructions or the appropriate
    part of SANS 10198 (SABS 0198). Flexible cables shall only be joined
    using cable couplers or manufacturers' jointing kits. All joints shall be
    accessible, protected against strain, and protected in accordance with
    Code:
    6.16.1.9 Unless part of the appliance or self contained in their own
    enclosure, control components of fixed appliances that form part of the fixed
    installation, including their input terminations and associated protective
    switchgear that are not mounted in the distribution board, shall be
    incorporated in a suitable enclosure(s) that comply with the requirements of
    6.6.1 and 6.6.4. Enclosure(s) shall be
    a) non-flammable,
    b) located as near to the appliance(s) as is practicable,
    c) permanently installed,
    d) such that they cannot be opened without the use of a tool, and
    e) readily accessible.
    Code:
    6.6.4 Distribution boards built or modified on site with a short-circuit
    rating up to and including 10 kA 
    6.6.4.1 General
    A distribution board shall comply with 6.6.1, 6.6.2, 6.6.4.2 and 6.6.4.3.
    I get it that you want to save money and we could argue all day regarding grey areas in the regs and how maybe....possibly..... something could be compliant because there's no reg explicitly forbidding it. Yes the regs are flawed, yes the regs don't keep pace with the rapidly changing technologies, hell, they wouldn't be updating them every few months if they weren't but I prefer to look at the regs as an absolute minimum standard everyone should be working to, not as a gold standard we should be aspiring to. I think it's an easy trap to fall into where you get into the mindset of butting heads or fighting the regs because a method you've used, although unorthadox, could well be done safely and reliably in some scenarios or maybe you can convince yourself a regulation seems irrelevant to your particular job at hand. It's easy to become disillusioned and see the regs as the enemy with their lack of enforcement and when you're losing quotes to chancers who are undercutting you and doing sub-standard work with impunity.

Honestly, if I saw that joint and it was installed by a DIY'er in his own home I'd smile and quietly marvel at his ingenuity, I'd be happy that he did a half decent, reasonably safe job with the knowledge and materials he at hand. I'd probably tell him I appreciate his efforts but can't I just put a proper enclosure with some compliant connectors whilst I'm there. If I saw that joint and it had been installed by a professional electrician I'd be disappointed. I'd question why on earth he'd want to take such a chance to save a hundred bucks. I'd question his integrity and I'd probably be wondering if he actually was a qualified sparky or whether he was a chancer.

Common sense would say to me that ferruling a trailing cable to the supply wiring is a bad idea when obviously ferrules are a permanent joint that can't be easily disconnected for future testing.

Common sense would say to me it's not worth invalidating the warranty of the item you're installing by not following manufacturers instructions and recommendations.

Common sense would say to me it's not worth taking on the legal liablity if there's a failure in future no matter how slim the chance. At best you you might be forced to return to remedy the installation, at worse you could end up in a court of law.

The first 10 I purchased for R120 with a long cable (Pioled) ... installed Y boxes under the eave and everyone is happy ... then ARB ran a special @ R65 for (RAdient) so i thought i would save a few cents ...but did I save a few bob ...at this point i did because i used my "brilliant" cost saving idea ... job is complete and working ... however as the "discussion" continues ... it might cost me a few more bob resolving the problem ... in fact it might be cheaper to dump the silly Radiant lights and just get another 10 Pioled ones with longer cables ... all the connections are under the eave out of the rain.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Hi Sean

It's not just a personal preference.

There are a number of factors to take into account. ie. SANS 10142-1 , The Occupational Health and Safety Act , AND Manufacturer's specifications.
    Most people forget about the last 2 mentioned above.

All conduit through boxes, whether they are end boxes ( one way ), 2 way, 3 way or 4 way are not connection boxes or terminal boxes. They are draw boxes or inspection boxes much the same as inspection elbows, inspection tee pieces etc. ( Manufacturer's specs )

Don't feel alone, brother, I've been an electrical contractor for 45 years and only became aware of this about 2 years ago.

Peace out .. Derek
    This is why it is so important to have these dicussions ... I am also a little confused with the round box comments ... I had an idea that my pipe joint might be an issue ...but this has got me really confused ... if I understand this statement ...you shouldnt be using the round boxes in the roof space to connect your lights ???

This comment also makes my entire security light project illegal ... I have twin+e running from light to light ... with a Y box fitted ... the twin+e in and out with and the security light connected using wago 221 ... if I understand these statements ... I am not allowed to terminate the security light in the Y box ???
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I'm back again now with some more time.

I think 6.14.3.6 applies.

Code:
    The connections between circuit conductors and luminaire
    conductors shall
    a) allow enough slack immediately behind the base of the luminaire for
    easy handling, and
    b) in the case of a pre-wired luminaire, be made using a connector.
    Ferrules are not 'connectors'. Again there's no definition given but elsewhere references to connectors also refer to screw type connector blocks and push-in wire connectors.
    One thing to note ... the pipe joint is not the connection point ... it is merly being used to extend the cable ... the connection point is at the Y box ( which also seems to be incorrect if I read the statements here)

Thanks
    Sorry if this sounds like a doff question.
    Can someone explain the difference between a spotlight with a 20cm flex lead or one with a 1 meter lead.
    They both need to be joined.
    Does the length of the lead determine the method used to make the connection ?

Peace out ... Derek

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Sorry if this sounds like a doff question.
    Can someone explain the difference between a spotlight with a 20cm flex lead or one with a 1 meter lead.
    They both need to be joined.
    Does the length of the lead determine the method used to make the connection ?

Peace out ... Derek
    This is what the discussion is all about ... dont feel bad ... according to what i am reading in this thread ... most LED lighting connection being done since LED were introduced are illegally connected.

How to connect a flood light with a short cable to the electrical installation.

Generally a light would have a termination point ... for example a batton holder would have a a screw terminal on the light .. you would run your house wire or twin+e to the light and connect it at the light fitting using the connector provided in the light fitting ... same with an old 4 ft fitting for example ..there were connectors made available inside the fitting pre connected to earth (the metal part) ... old floodlights had terminals/connectors inside the light fitting ... so no "junction box" was required.

However with LED lighting ... manufacturers have made it a little more difficult (cost cutting ...smaller enclosures etc) ...as in the case with LED flood lights ... and LEd 2/4/5 ft fittings ... the connection point in the fitting is no longer available ... hence this thread ... it is no longer a simple connect the twin +e or house wire inside the fitting.

I dont know when the SABS rules changed making it no longer the manufacturers responsibility to provide a connection point ... or if ther ever was one ???

You will notice that even the 5 ft LED fitting ...now has a short tail making it literally impossible to reach the conduit box ... which we have established is not a junction box and can therefore not be used to connect the short tail ... which means you have to provide a "junction box" to connect the tail ...using "connectors" ... then run a cable from the round conduit box ... were you can join the wires to link up parts of the installation.

According to what i am reading here ... even if the cable is long to reach a conduit box ... you cannot connect the fitting inside the conduit box ... a separate "junction box" with connectors must be used.

The bottom line the LED fitting suppliers have just made it the electricians responsibility to supply a junction box to terminate their fitting ... a clever cost cutting idea for them a headache for all electricians.

If you were smart and had a contact in a plastic injection moulding comapany ... you would be manufacturing a small "junction box" with terminals to be used for this application.

I feel sorry for all those fellas who have signed off COC's with connections in conduit boxes ...eeeeish.

back to my pipe joint ... its not the junction box ... merely a means to extend the tail to the junction box ( it is illegal ...because it is not disgned for the purpse)... no more using round conduit boxes for twin+E ... you gonna have to fit a junction box with connectors even if the tail is long enough.

Leecat ... i hope you are learning something and will continue to add value to these discussions.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Am I ever in for an interesting discussion with my electricians tomorrow morning...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Am I ever in for an interesting discussion with my electricians tomorrow morning...
    Could someone please show me where round boxes are not allowed to have terminations done in them, I can understand joints not allowed in T pieces etc.
    Thank you

Thanks
    This thread was started by Just Johann requesting some input regarding the connecting of down lights.
    For me there has always been uncertainty as to the correct way to do it.

Here in our valley it is drummed into our heads not to use strip connectors, but to ferrule and crimp and insolate with heatshrink.
    Someone has mentioned that ferrules are not connectors. Now I'm super confused. Ferrules are manufactured and sold for the sole purpose of efficiently connecting one conductor to another, yet it is said that they are not connectors. What should we use ferrules for if not for connecting conductors ?

Be that as it may, the thread changed direction with Ian's brilliant suggestion and we all wondered off course. Sorry about that Just Johan.

Back to downlights and connecting them.

Even the downlights are evolving to having pig tails like in Johan's photo's. Up to now I have been crimping with ferrules as recommended by the main indunas in our area.
    From different viewpoints in this thread it would seem as if this is not the recommended method.

Took a bit of time out of my hectic schedule and checked out all the wholesalers here to find manufacturer's solutions to both connecting downlights and spotlights.

This is what I came up with.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201005_101158.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	7974
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201005_101158.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	7974

On the right is a connection box that is not weatherproof and is ideal for downlights. It's called a RIP BOX available from ARB for R29.

On the left is an in line connector. Totally weatherproof and ideal for spotlights. Also available from ARB for R45.

Hope this helps,

Peace out ... Derek

10. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (07-Oct-20)

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast