"What is the purpose of your call?"
    "..Are you the Manager?"
    "No I'm the owner, what are you trying to sell?"
    "bla bla bla....some sort of sales pitch..."
    "So to whom am I speaking?"
    "I told you at the beginning of my call...."
    "Oh really..sorry I bugged you when you phoned me....good bye"

What ever happened to the..
    "Hi my name is Fred and I represent abc limited and we are interested in flogging you this dead horse that only died three days ago......"

I seem to be getting this type of call on a regular basis these days, where all the sales marketing people seem to have been on the same course that insists on opening the conversation with a question as to whom they are speaking to. The call generally degenerates into a question and answer session where the person doesn't even get to first base with why they are calling.

Have I missed something or is this confrontational marketing working out there?
    I just think its bad potty training, designed to raise the hackles and put one on the defensive before the sales pitch is lobbed. They may feel they are engaging with the potential client, getting him/her to open up. I certainly battle to keep my cool and so far the score is about 1000 to zero in my favour of never having listened to the blurb.
    How do you handle this type of call or am I the only anal retentive respondent when it comes to issues like this?
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Drives me insane as well. We dont telecanvas (although we supposed to) because i wont do to people what i cant tolerate. Unfortunately it does work, certain script will generate x% of leads, minor changes can increase/decrease etc. A very measurable way of achieving business... sorry, but in 2020 you still Gonna get "..and I'm talking to?....." for a new hover car...
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks

Hi this is...

Well at the moment besides data management and admin, I'm doing sales calls for my my friend's online business community. I like what were selling and I have tremendous respect for my friend and boss.

Of course I have a good script and try not to waste people's time. I can always tell if somebody has just recently been bothered by another crappier call for insurance or a different cell deal.

Fortunately I enjoy speaking to business owners and finding out what people are up to.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superscenic View Post
    Fortunately I enjoy speaking to business owners and finding out what people are up to.
    Me too.

But I refuse to speak to untrained telephone jockeys who cannot get their script right and haven't a clue how to handle business owners. Its becoming a norm rather than the exception where one used to be able to tolerate and help trainees, today everybody seems to be a trainee.

This afternoon, phoned numerous companies looking for quotes and trying to find someone who would like to do stuff for us here. Similar scenario...no business concept, no basic communication skills and no idea on how to sound interested in a potential job. Today the guys that at least answered the phone with their company name and a how can I help you got the nod. The balance - a good percentage - were thanked for answering the phone and didn't get to hear of my problems.

There is a definite gap in the market here for telephone techniques and basic customer relationships. In the 80's/90's we couldn't move without some company or other selling us this stuff. They must have done a lousy job or all those they trained are now skilled people who have learnt to avoid the phone and difficult people like me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting subject, tele-canvasing technique.

My pet peeve is when they sound like they've dropped into "read the script" mode. Regurgitation in company is far from appealing, including over the telephone. (Come to think of it, regurgitation isn't much fun solo either )

That said, the failure of the caller to introduce themselves clearly before starting their pitch does get my hackles up some too.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    So gentle people, may I ask, how do you think the ideal sales call will play out?
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You mean sharing what we don't like isn't helping?
    Just one more from me before I try to get constructive - Plleeeeezzz

Here's another thing that gets the conversation headed towards a "not interested - goodbye" right quickly in my books - when you can hear the 100 or more other people from the call centre in the background jabbering away at their victims.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbiedle View Post
    So gentle people, may I ask, how do you think the ideal sales call will play out?
    How about trying to sell me something that I actually want? Permission marketing matters (you can get the first four chapters of Seth Godin's Permission Marketing for free.)
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Dunno Debbie, think it would be difficult to get an answer there.. I think its as Dave says, do i want it! Thats where most of the calls go wrong. Guy phones me from xyz photocopiers, just spent 75K on one, his response "can i tell you about ours anyway" my response, put the phone down

If he caught me at a time when my copier was 10 years old, stuffing up every copy "tell me about your machine.. pleeeaaase"

I dont think its about his perfect call, just our perfect timing. But wow, dont try to drag it out when i've just said got one 2 months ago - go away peacefully!

I think the new laws are going to change a lot anyway with cold calls/sms etc if i understand them correctly. Hence the sudden surge of calls, not all just about getting business but rather use it while they can!
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    when you can hear the 100 or more other people from the call centre in the background jabbering away at their victims.
    And they are in a call centre in India.

Generally if I get a pro on the line it is a quick conversation - yay or nay, thank you for your time and end of story or the beginning of one. Trainees should stick to role plays and the classroom and companies should realise that letting them loose on the public could be damaging the company image.

I think a good salespitch for the right product at the right time is basic business practice and thats what we are about.

So some of my ideas that a good pitch should include....

Firstly, after a quick name intro and company name recognition, the script should, as said, start with a statement as to what is being sold and a question as to whether this would be of interest. (How many of you have been told that they are not selling anything....bla bla bla - do they actually believe their nonsense?)

Secondly, one of the issues that turns me away generally from cold callers is that they tend to be rude and 'turn' on one when you say no. They should apply some courtesy and a friendly attitude which goes a long way towards future business should there be a second chance. It also make one more friendly in general when answering the phone to these people.

Thirdly if you show an interest they should not assume an instant sale but should listen for the correct reactions to their questions and conversation flow.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.