Thread: Standard bank payment holiday

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Standard bank payment holiday

I get an email informing me that Standard have loaded a payment holiday to my "credit card" ...not my home loan ...not my business account ...not my personal account.

MY response to the email - DONT NOT LOAD A PAYMENT HOLIDAY, THANK YOU.

They reply and I reply with - DONT NOT LOAD A PAYMENT HOLIDAY, THANK YOU.

And so this goes on for 6 emails.

I then get a call to tell me they are loading a payment holiday ... and my response on the telephone DO NOT LOAD A PAYMENT HOLIDAY, THANK YOU.

Taking into consideration my credit limit is R100 my credit card doesn’t require a payment as it is always in the black and not the red.

Here comes the kicker ... this morning my wife’s account is debated for R1890.00 (SBSA load account is the "forced" debit)

Firstly she doesn’t bank with Standard bank ... we are trying to establish how Standard bank home loans acquired her banking details 3 hours on the phone to Standard bank and nobody can tell us how they got her banking details ... fortunately she is with FNB ...so it was simple ...she contacted her personal banker and reversed the debit ... imagine if it was that simple with Standard bank

Standard bank cannot show me proof that I authorised a payment holiday ... no email ... apparently they have taken upon themselves to automatically load a payment holiday to every account holder ... which automatically authorises them to debit your account or if your spouse’s account ... without yours or your spouse’s permission.

I don’t know what to say ...is this even legal?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My wife had a credit card with FNB which was linked to Discovery Health to get points or something. She goes to the UK and she's been stuck in the UK for nearly a year now. Discovery decides out of the blue to move all the FNB credit cards to Discovery Bank (without telling or asking anybody) So of course the account isn't FICA'd. Anyhow, she tries to cancel the entire thing from the UK without much luck. So yesterday I phone Discovery Bank from my phone in Cape Town and have my wife speak to them via my daughters phone on Whasapp to get them to close the damn thing. There I was sitting with two cellphones (one on the call to Discovery and the other on the Whatapp call -talking to one another) We eventually got the whole lot cancelled. My GP says that Discovery is unethical and I can see exactly why - I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Watch out for Discovery and Pick n Pay - they are trying to become G@d's gift to finance. Don't get me started on TakeALot - now there is a bunch of clowns - I won't buy from them ever again either!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    We suspect that her details where obtained using the UIF platform ... apprently I hear this is where the tracing agents the banks and the like are Stealing your personal info ...banking ...home address ...the works.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given that I settle my credit card in full every month so that I get no interest charges, I looked at that payment holiday from Standard Bank as a rather cynical ploy to get interest income at the highest rate around...

Fortunately dealing with the payment holiday on the credit card is dead easy - just pay the money into the card when it is due.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I would not recommend Discovery Bank to anyone. Shocking service, no statements sent, you have to download and print everything at your own expense. A document that fits into one page is stretched over 3 pages. No return on email, no call back. Pedantic admin procedures. Their rewards system is cancelled out by high credit card fees. I get excellent service from FNB and its FREE!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Given that I settle my credit card in full every month so that I get no interest charges, I looked at that payment holiday from Standard Bank as a rather cynical ploy to get interest income at the highest rate around...

Fortunately dealing with the payment holiday on the credit card is dead easy - just pay the money into the card when it is due.
    That’s why I tried to reduce my credit limit to zero ... but standard bank will not allow you to have a zero credit limit ...so I am stuck with a R100 limit ... monthly payment of R100 gets paid multiple times a week when I transfer money into the credit card which is only used as a convenience to pay for stuff without touching money or card machines (tap and go) Those days of R100 000 credit limits are long gone.

Dave it’s not the interest charges that concerns me ... if the interest doesn’t kill you the Standard bank charges make up for lower interest rates in fees ... it is more the clauses related to the payment holiday (for any account you have with Standard bank)... which authorises them to use tracing agents and force debt orders on other bank accounts or other accounts linked to anyone in the account agreement ... as in my case ... the home loan which is in both mine and my spouses name ... who by the way, was with Standard bank at the time of the loan agreement ... but has since moved to FNB (better service) somehow they traced her account (not that difficult I this day and age) and forced a debit order to run using the fact that she is my employee ... she doesn’t work for me and never has ...yet this is the excuse they are using for the "forced debit order" ... I am not a lawyer ...but it smells like a criminal act to me.

Something to think about ... Standard bank sent me an email to inform me of the payment holiday for my credit card they attached to my card ... which I responded to ... but no email from the home loan department ... my bond is up to date ... July payment outstanding which would have been paid today ( customer payment reflecting in my account this morning) ... not going to happen until this issue is resolved ... it gives me some breathing space because they could take as long as 3 weeks to respond to emails.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    I would not recommend Discovery Bank to anyone. Shocking service, no statements sent, you have to download and print everything at your own expense. A document that fits into one page is stretched over 3 pages. No return on email, no call back. Pedantic admin procedures. Their rewards system is cancelled out by high credit card fees. I get excellent service from FNB and its FREE!
    MY wife got over the crap service and fees many years ago ... she just laughs at me when these issue pop up ... this fiasco is good example of why it is time to move to FNB ... it took her 3 hours on the phone to Standard bank to find out why her account was debited and who authorised it ... they still can’t give her and answer.

The "forced debit order ran yesterday morning ... she contacted her personal banker at FNB and it was all sorted out and reversed in under 10 minutes ... and then she turned to me and once again said ... now you know why I moved from Standard bank.

If this was my account with Standard bank ... I have been with Standard bank for over 20 years ... as a business owner ( she doesn’t own a business ...just a private account holder with FNB) I would now have to contact Standard bank and try fix this over the phone with some random call centre person ... and there is a got chance that I would have to go to the bank ... you still cannot make an appointment even as a business account holder to see business banker ... I would have to go to the bank ...hope it was quiet ... fill out the register and join the que.

This reminds me of my experience trying to reduce my Standard bank business overdraft limit ... you know what it is time to move my bank account to FNB.

I do recall one of the reasons I didn’t move over to FNB when my wife did ... it had to do with my overdraft ... I had to trade for 6 months before they would load an overdraft facility ... unless I could provide some form of surety ... now that the overdraft is no longer an issue ... with the new business venture starting in 7 months’ time ... I certainly will not be using

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I stand in a que at the disgustly filthy Westville post office to renew my vehicle license ... she goes onot her FNB app and walla ...ding dong the new disc arrives at our house

Standard bank "moving forward" ... this logo should be removed due to false advertsing.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    I would not recommend any Discovery service to anyone especially their medical aid - they can keep their movie tickets!