Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COC for PV Systems

Bronze Member
    Thanks

COC for PV Systems

Hi guys, I need to do a coc on an inverter system and there is some questions I have arising from the test report. Can you please tell me what this stuff refers to as I've never heard of it before.

Closing on dead bus protection and control function tested
    Anti-islanding protection and control function tested
    what single line diagram are they talking about that must be displayed in the DB?
    Additional Utility requirements for EGIs are identified and addressed
    Islanding condition - time to disconnect
    Size of embedded generation installation ___kVA A1 / A2 / A3 (what is meant with this A1 or A2 or A3?)

and then the Tests:
    How do you do a earth and neutral loop test if the supplier says the test can be done but not through the inverter? and the Prospective short circuit current at point of isolation of the storage system? how do you guys do these tests?

Max calculated gas build-up?
    Ambient temperature during commissioning
    Maximum expected temperature
    specific gravity of each cell

It's my first time seeing this test report as I'm used to the traditional COC pages. Is there an institution that offers training on the above mentioned points perhaps?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I have never heard of a coc for an inverter system.
    Is that part of the CoC for the electrical installation of a house?
    Please shed more light on this and show us the test report and certificate.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I will be interested in seeing where this test report you are referring to has come from.

There was a report issued with SANS 10142-1-2 which was withdrawn , but I don't see the question you are referring to.
    The points you are referring to are/where listed in the document but not listed on the test report

You need to also differentiate between a standard inverter/UPS type installation vs a PV off grid installation vs a Small Scale Embedded Generation.

If it is a str inverter installation then a normal standard COC will do the trick

Thanks
    And so begins the great debate.
    Who carries responsibility for all the electrics upstream of the point of control.

If a generator, for instance, or any other power source, is connected before the point of control, in my book it is excluded as far as the coc for the installation is concerned.

If connected between the point of control and point of consumption then it should be included.

This is gonna be one long and interesting thread to follow.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Section 7.12.1 (note 2) offers an interesting comment

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    And so begins the great debate.
    Who carries responsibility for all the electrics upstream of the point of control.

If a generator, for instance, or any other power source, is connected before the point of control, in my book it is excluded as far as the coc for the installation is concerned.

If connected between the point of control and point of consumption then it should be included.

This is gonna be one long and interesting thread to follow.
    Think the above deviates from the original question on the Thread which I will get back to when I see the COC being referred to , In the meantime

I assume you are referring to a PV system that has a main switch and that you now call that main switch the point of control ? and therefore not part of the electrical installation.
    The definitions have sorted that out and the consumer is responsible if he generates for himself and the consumer ( definition below) needs to have a COC to legally use the electrical installation.
    Definition of electrical installation does not exclude PV and is useful as it includes the brackets that panels are mounted on , trunking , conduit etc

The point of control definition pasted below is only the point of control if supplied by the " supplier" - If it is the consumers PV system then the isolator for the system is not the point of control.

The installation of Alternative supply including the DC section shall comply with SANS 10142-1 - Section 7.12 of SANS 10142-1 pretty much reinforces that including the foreword.
    If you go over 1,5Kv DC , then you need to go to SANS 10142-2 for MV installations

Pv installations can only be done by Electrical Contractors and that Contractor must employ an Installation licensed electrician as a single phase tester cannot work with DC.

The " PV Green card " is not a recognized statutory qualification

Relevant regs pasted below and highlighted in red what I think is extremely relevant

I do not want to derail the beginning of this thread and maybe we should get Dave to split the thread to a new one.

consumer
    person who is supplied (or who is to be supplied) with electricity by a supplier
    (see 3.77); or a person who supplies his own electricity

point of supply
    point at which a supplier supplies electricity to any premises

supplier
    in relation to a particular installation, any local authority (see 3.47), statutory
    body or person who supplies, contracts or agrees to supply, electricity to that
    electrical installation

point of control
    point at which a consumer can, on or in any premises, switch off the electrical
    installation from the electricity supplied from the point of supply

electrical installation
    machinery, in or on any premises, that is used for the transmission of electrical
    energy from a point of control (see 3.56) to a point of consumption
    (see 3.55) anywhere on the premises, including any article that forms part of
    such an installation, irrespective of whether or not it is part of the electrical
    circuit
    , but excluding
    a) any machinery of the supplier that is related to the supply of electricity on
    the premises,
    b) any machinery that is used for the transmission of electricity of which the
    voltage does not exceed 50 V, where such electricity is not derived from
    the main supply of a supplier, and
    c) any machinery that transmits electrical energy in telecommunication,
    television or radio circuits

7.12.7 Additional requirements for photovoltaic (PV) and similar
    installations that provide a supply as an alternative to the main supply
    7.12.7.1 The photovoltaic installation shall comply with SANS 60364-7-712
    and the solar panels shall comply with SANS 61215 (for poly and mono
    crystalline) or SANS 61646 (for thin-film).
    7.12.7.2 The DC component of the installation shall comply with 7.15.
    7.12.7.3 The rated voltage of each circuit shall be clearly indicated at all ends
    of the circuit.
    In the case of combined circuits, every circuit shall be easily identifiable.
    Where single core conductors are used, such conductors for each circuit shall
    be tied together at intervals to ensure identification, unless another suitable
    arrangement is employed.
    7.12.7.4 Precautions regarding parallel operation as prescribed in 7.12.6.1,
    and overcurrent protection as prescribed in 7.12.4.1 shall be provided.
    7.12.7.5 In addition it shall be recognised that the supply from each inverter,
    battery arrangement and PV panel (or identified clustered group), constitutes
    a supply, and requires arrangements similar to point of supply, which shall
    include switch-disconnection arrangements and shall comply with 7.12.5.
    7.12.7.6 If applicable, all exposed conductive parts may require earthing as
    prescribed in 6.12.3.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Interesting statement, someone should share this in a public forum

It would be interesting to compare the amount of solar installations being done DIY, to green card installers to registered elctrical contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post

The " PV Green card " is not a recognized statutory qualification

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    here she is
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    got it from one of the AIA's, not sure how to upload it here to the platform

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    You should see this discussion on a gauteng whattsapp group. its very complex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast