Thread: A rubber stamp parliament?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

A rubber stamp parliament?

I've been moaning for some time that we're paying so much for a pile of parliamentarians who don't do much more than polish the benches with their bums. It seems Mike Ellis has much the same gripe:
    On debates, he said that apart from debates on legislation and budget votes, hardly any meaningful debates took place.

"All but gone are debates proposed by parties or members - they just are not scheduled any more. Yet opposition Parties want more debates on issues that they feel are important."

"In 2008, the DA proposed 44 topics for discussion. Only one was debated.

"The ANC's 297 members in last year failed to introduce a single motion, a clear indication that they do not take this area of work very seriously."

Ellis called for Parliament to be made more relevant.
    full story from IOL here
    It gets worse:
    Opportunities for MPs to ask good, probing questions on issues of real importance and of proper oversight were all but lost.

"A further trend has also crept in whereby some ministers do not seem to believe it is necessary to even turn up to answer questions when it is their turn."

When it came to written questions, the story was equally bleak.

"The rules stipulate that ministers should reply within 10 working days of the question being asked.

"I have to tell the House that since 2006, a staggering 498 questions have never been answered by the Executive," Ellis said.
    Remind me again - why do we even have a parliament if all they are going to do is rubber stamp whatever comes their way?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Remind me again - why do we even have a parliament if all they are going to do is rubber stamp whatever comes their way?
    Dave,
    This where we have to convince the majority who voted the ANC in again that the ANC are only in it for themselves. I had to close on Tuesday as we had no power and I pay salaries last day of the month. So I closed went home and started processing and was having hassles connecting to FNB so waited. Then I start getting phone calls and was told I am at the ATM where is my money. I just said I will transfer just wait. Now I tell the staff until we get a government who really cares this will happen.
    I know I should get a big UPS but have managed without it so far.
    What makes the UK and the USA so strong is every 10-15 years they change the ruling party, this threat keeps them on their toes. Just look how the ANC is reacting in the western cape, and now they want to scrap provinces. They are starting to worry a little bit.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!