Thread: Wow...its been a long time..

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Wow...its been a long time..

Its astonishing how time flies. i haven't been on this forum for a very very long time. I got a snotty remark in a private message from somebody today out of the blue just now. The remark is not important - what is important is that it brought me back here. I haven't read many posts yet but I will do so in the future. (I got terribly side tracked with life....)

Anyhow, I really think that Dave should create a forum related to people leaving the country and the issues associated with doing so.

The reason I say this is because practically everybody that I know have left. My wife has been working in the UK for about a year now. She takes care of the elderly over there for 3 months and then she returns for 1 month. She has an Ancestral Visa and she is working towards citizenship. Both my daughters are at varsity and once they are sorted the 3 of us are leaving as well. My eldest daughter will most likely transfer to a UK university next year and complete her studies there. I will stay with my youngest till she is done. The girls have a better future abroad and I have my own business that isn't limited to this country. I have friends in the UK and I am quite sure that I will find work there if I absolutely have to. My skills allow me to do many many jobs and I must say that I am not picky, I am happy to do whatever mundane task needs to be done during the day to get citizenship because I will continue to run my business in the evenings.

My wife belongs to a Facebook group that supports people who are leaving the county. It is absolutely staggering how many people are leaving. There are between 5 and 10 families a week leaving (mostly to go to the UK) The surprising thing is the number of non-whites that are leaving as well - People are led to believe that it is only whites that are leaving but this is not so. People of all races leave because of the multitude of issues in this country.

I don't want to get into politics or moral mud slinging regarding staying or leaving, it is just that there are many people that have many questions and answers and I think that it might be a worthy topic to talk about.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great to "read" you again after all this time, Adrian

No doubt there are lots of people emigrating...

3. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (09-Sep-19)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I wondered what happened to you...good to see you posting again.

We have this discussion on lots of groups ...it seems there is a very small percentage of us who are going to be left here... is it a good or bad thing... i dont know... time will tell.
    ..if watching SABC news...reading facebook post... or now even whatsapp message groups is anything to go by... not... reading the writing on the wall it looks like we are heading for a civil war... most people dont see it or should i say want to see it... It is not in the best interest for certain people to have this country stable...financially or otherwise.

Maybe preparing to leave might not be the silliest thing you do ... even if just getting money out and making sure you have a place to go just in case might not be a bad idea.

If you do it the right way it becomes a costly exercise...making sure you free yourself of your SA tax burden is a good idea... make sure you immigrant financially ...and make sure you dont leave all the pension and saving till last to remove... it is one of the most common issue i have notice on the groups... people who suddenly sit with brokers holding onto their cash and more excuses that insurance companies have when it is time to pay up for an incident... it wouldnt surprise me if thy they change the law restricting you from cashing in all your money.

Dont leave selling your stuff till the last week... you gona end up dumping value items or leaving the vehicle at the airport because nobody wants to pay market value for it ...knowing you are in a tight spot.

You want valuable stuff for a steal... go help you mate move stuff the week before he leaves... you will never get such good bargains until the next mate moves

Another thing is make sure you are fit and healthy ... if the criminals dont get to you before you leave ... the stress might kill you... it is a long stressful time leading up to the move and even while trying to settle your life back into a routine again.

The internet has made the world a very small place... we have family and friends all over the world... we spend more time communicating now than when they lived down the road.

5. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (11-Sep-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    The internet has made the world a very small place... we have family and friends all over the world... we spend more time communicating now than when they lived down the road.
    There's serious truth in that!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    There's serious truth in that!
    I drove past your office 3 times last week and didnt even pop in for coffee... will make an effort next time i am in the area.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I wondered what happened to you...good to see you posting again.

We have this discussion on lots of groups ...it seems there is a very small percentage of us who are going to be left here... is it a good or bad thing... i dont know... time will tell.
    ..if watching SABC news...reading facebook post... or now even whatsapp message groups is anything to go by... not... reading the writing on the wall it looks like we are heading for a civil war... most people dont see it or should i say want to see it... It is not in the best interest for certain people to have this country stable...financially or otherwise.

Maybe preparing to leave might not be the silliest thing you do ... even if just getting money out and making sure you have a place to go just in case might not be a bad idea.

If you do it the right way it becomes a costly exercise...making sure you free yourself of your SA tax burden is a good idea... make sure you immigrant financially ...and make sure you dont leave all the pension and saving till last to remove... it is one of the most common issue i have notice on the groups... people who suddenly sit with brokers holding onto their cash and more excuses that insurance companies have when it is time to pay up for an incident... it wouldnt surprise me if thy they change the law restricting you from cashing in all your money.

Dont leave selling your stuff till the last week... you gona end up dumping value items or leaving the vehicle at the airport because nobody wants to pay market value for it ...knowing you are in a tight spot.

You want valuable stuff for a steal... go help you mate move stuff the week before he leaves... you will never get such good bargains until the next mate moves

Another thing is make sure you are fit and healthy ... if the criminals dont get to you before you leave ... the stress might kill you... it is a long stressful time leading up to the move and even while trying to settle your life back into a routine again.

I have so many family members and friends abroad that my friend and family circle is Whatsapp based. I agree with everything you say. I don't really need to take anything - the only thing that I truly value is my data and that can go on the cloud. I don't hold on to possessions - I can replace all my machines on the other side or outsource the work if it is cost effective. My brother in law has been there for many years and they own many properties. He knows his stuff and he set my wife up there before she got there. They will do the same for my daughters and I. My flies up and down every 4 months so we are planning to move some of the important smaller things in time. I'm not fazed about any of it - I am a hermit anyway so whether I hide in my little hole here or there makes no difference to me.

Silver Member PlatinumWealth.co.za's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have so many family members and friends abroad that my friend and family circle is Whatsapp based.
    I can completely relate to this - also looking at getting out. This place has gone down the drain.

Maybe then I'll start a forum for expats, but not sure I want all the Australian south africans on there, lol.
    The JSE Investment and Finance Forum - PlatinumWealth.co.za
    JSE Investing Chat Group
    Unlock US Netflix

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumWealth.co.za View Post
    I can completely relate to this - also looking at getting out. This place has gone down the drain.

Maybe then I'll start a forum for expats, but not sure I want all the Australian south africans on there, lol.
    My sister has been living in Sydney for the past 30 odd years. She is the only person that speaks Afrikaans with an Australian Accent :-) (She also rolls her Rrrr's so it sounds really funny)

---- Bruce, die Post-O lewer die briewe af aan Shiela die Haarkapper-O

11. Thanks given for this post:

PlatinumWealth.co.za (08-Oct-19)

Thanks
    Good to see you're still around and keeping yourself busy and entertained from what I see on your other threads.

13. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (09-Oct-19)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Good to see you're still around and keeping yourself busy and entertained from what I see on your other threads.
    Thanks.

That's the wonderful thing about being Full-Bat-Sh1T-ADHD

--- there is always something entertaining (especially the stuff I did last week which I forgot I did and am doing again this week and will probably do again next week as a new exciting project :-) )