Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inspiring

Thanks

Inspiring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7s22HX18wDY

Read the above story in Reader’s Digest some months ago.

Now an advert, based on fact.

2. Thank given for this post:

Citizen X (19-Sep-13), Dave A (19-Sep-13), Nickolai Naydenov (18-Sep-13)

Thanks
    If only the real world was like that...
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Awesome one Phil, when you give wholeheartedly you always receive back
    ---There is no traffic at the extra mile---

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickolai Naydenov View Post
    Awesome one Phil, when you give wholeheartedly you always receive back
    Rubbish, the universe doesn't keep score.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Shame Adrian, if only you knew...you should try it some day, but don't be discouraged by the some, I have given away things or helped someone and it has angered me to see what the person has done or the response from that person.

There is a sense of satisfaction like you will never experience unless you do it. It may not come in a cheque for a million rand but you will find your life will change, it might be something as simple as you becoming a happier person

There is only one catch, you have to do it with no strings or conditions attached.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    DaveS.

Okay, please site any study that proves that nice things happen to nice people. If what you say is true, that the universe rewards good deeds then howcome Robert Mugabe & George W Bush are fat and happy.

Our attitudes determine how we perceive events, they do not cause random events to happen. If you are an optimist your will generally see the positive in any event and if you are a pessiment you will see the negative. Your view does not cause the event to occur, your view merely justifies the reason for the event occuring in your own mind. The fact that you feel good about doing someting nice is your own internal process and has nothing to do with the universe per se.

The problem is that what we consider to be doing something nice, or positive is generally a social standard. If postive acts are rewarded with positive random events then it stands to reason that negative acts are rewarded with negative random events. How do you explain the 16year old girl, who never hamed a fly getting violently raped - what did she do to deserve such a punishment, and further, lets say the rapist is truly sorry and turns to God, will he no longer be punished. What about the soldier who kills people for his country, many of them have good lives and live fairly average lives without getting punished for their deeds.

DaveS, don't confuse perception and reality, they are not the same. Further, I am not saying that one should or shouldn't done nice things for people and I am not saying that I do, or I don't do nice things for people, I am merely saying that your perceived reward lives in your head, nowhere else.

I had a long discussion with my GP yesterday and at one point during the discussion he started laughing and said that I shouldn't be so brutally realistic, maybe, but in my world, whether one sees the glass as half full or half emply has no bearing on the objective state of the glass, the glass simply contains 50% of its total capacity. Your perception does not change reality, all it changes is the emotional value that you attach to your reality

Thanks
    Look you are right Adrian, but as a logical being you need a touch of mystery, even though the mystery does not really exist, your belief in some of it balances your Analytical self to not endeavour to much to see the harsh animal existence around us. If we were fully aware of how difficult and dangerous the world was we would struggle to function. Going full analytical brings plenty of knowledge but it makes one rather cynical, me included

So basically for optimal human functioning, including your analytical abilities, you need self misinformation (carma etc etc) about the environment to soften the stress reality causes, stress which would lessen your functioning therefore lessoning your analytical ability in the long term. So you have to be a bit mad to be sane.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It is very simple life is what you make of it

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Rubbish, the universe doesn't keep score.
    On average, I'm actually pretty sure it does.

Yes, much of the seed one sows falls on fallow ground. But the bit that falls on fertile ground tends to bear fruit far greater than the wastage.

It's easy to see all that wasted effort and take that as the standard, making it all seem futile. Until you see the times where it has paid off...

And that makes it all worthwhile.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Cooper View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7s22HX18wDY

Read the above story in Reader’s Digest some months ago.

Now an advert, based on fact.
    Inspiring indeed! Compassion for your fellow human being is a good quality to have. The kid in this story felt compelled to steal medicine for his mom. The owner wanted him to face the full might of the law. The restaurant owner demonstrated compassion by paying the owner as well as giving this kid some food. This kid then becomes a doctor! The restaurant owner is older and ill, he’s medical bills high and unaffordable. This very kid, now grown up, foots the bill.
    A little compassion does go a long way. We in desperate need of more compassionate people in SA

“Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.