Thread: Free usable business idea!

Thanks

Free usable business idea!

Hi Guys,

1. I was thinking(doesn't happen often!), Some of you that would like to earn a decent and honest living can use all the templates that I posted on the "Labour Law" thread;
    2. Essentially you can offer this service to small businesses: Overhauling internal labour law.HR function; you'll customize the templates with that busineses logo and contact detail, you'll provide them with 10 printed copies of each template, you'll consult with them on the "Code of conduct" and then draw it up for them, you'll also provide all these templates on a disc for them;
    3. I think you can charge R1500 for this service!!!!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

2. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (09-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It is sometimes scary to see that some of my clients do not have an HR policy or disciplinary code.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Vanash, I think your post aptly demonstrates the value of your contribution, and I for one am truly appreciative of your contribution. It is a gift that I suggest every small business owner in the country should be making use of.

My concern with this business idea suggestion is one I've had for ages when it comes to content on this site - the possible legal responsibility that might go with the advice tendered.

My view is ordinarily we're all pretty protected - particularly when it comes to generic content which by its very nature may not be fit for purpose.
    The second layer of protection is that where the advice or content is "poor", the inherent review that comes with lots of eyes scanning means that any flaws will probably be pointed out in due course.
    And then there is the fine print at the bottom of every page, which I hope we may never need to rely on.

May I humbly suggest that when a document is sold to a specific company, it is reasonable to expect it is fit for purpose, and much of that protection disappears. Accordingly I suggest that if anyone is considering taking up this suggestion of a business opportunity, it should only be done by folk who have suitable subject matter expertise.

In terms of republishing rights for commercial gain - I hereby record that I respect the wishes of Vanash in this instance.
    Last edited by Dave A; 10-Feb-12 at 11:02 AM.

5. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (10-Feb-12), Citizen X (10-Feb-12)

Thanks
    I'd also like to agree with Dave regarding you contributions which I've personally found very helpful. I won't be making a business out of your templates any time soon but I've used a couple for myself.

Maybe tag them with a beerware license or if you're not a drinker you could go with the creative commons license.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Maybe tag them with a beerware license or if you're not a drinker you could go with the creative commons license.
    That is essentially the default copyright protection standard for TFSA content anyway.

8. Thanks given for this post:

AndyD (10-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Many thanks indeed Dave for your very kind comments. Thanks for keeping me in the loop about possible legal ramifications. I think the last thing a person that offers assistance on good faith and with good intention is to expect some form of ramification. So yes, I'm glad for that fine print you mention!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reminder Dave.

The Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act 37 of 2002 (FAIS Act) prohibits the furnishing of advice on any financial product to any one unless the representative is suitably qualified to give such advice.

This was originally aimed at financial services providers but now includes the wide spectrum, including bank staff.Of particular interest is investment and insurance products as so many people have been scammed in the past, losing their life savings.

11. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (11-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    The Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act 37 of 2002 (FAIS Act) prohibits the furnishing of advice on any financial product to any one unless the representative is suitably qualified to give such advice.
    Does that prevent me from saying that many of the retirement savings products peddled by the financial services industry are cr*p?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Does that prevent me from saying that many of the retirement savings products peddled by the financial services industry are cr*p?

I do not think good advice like this will incur a penalty. After all you will be preventing a bad investment!