Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caricaturist asking your advice

Junior Member Frederico Rogeiro's Avatar
    Thanks

Caricaturist asking your advice

Hi, Friends!

I've been working on a collection of caricatures of great historical figures. Nelson Mandela will be a part of it.
    Now, I need some feedback about the drawings and some advice about some options of the business that are still open. So, I prepared a brief presentation of the ideia, with some few direct questions about it.
    For those of you who are willing to help me, here it is my caricatures presentation. It will take you just 2 or 3 minutes.

I would be most appreciated if you give me your advice!
    Thank you!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    A couple of things -

Be careful when you do Nelson Mandela or any living person for that matter. I know that there have been many issues around people using his likeness.

I must be honest, I don't like the caricatures - they look like they are normal pictures simply stretched and compressed using computer software. But then, thats art, some like some things and some like other things.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If I may recommend Edgar Allan Poe to add to your collection. I had a look on your page but didn’t spot his name, sorry if I overlooked his name.

I can see this kind of art work being uses by executives, HR departments and Schools.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Thanks for your comments.

tec0,
    Edgar Alan Poe isn't in my list, but it may be in the future! Those markets you mentioned are interesting, I must try to reach them because they're small and somewhat difficult to reach.

adrianh,
    Some people don't like my caricatures, I accept it naturally. But it hurts me a bit when they doubt they are handmade and are a product of Photoshop. You were not the only one. I guess I will have to live with that.

I'm sure Nelson Mandela will not be offended by being in this collection. People of that stature are used to be drawn, I guess...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Hi Frederico,

The reason they looked Photoshopped is because the resemble the original pictures a tiny bit too closely:

Ludwig Van Beethoven
    http://www.peopleandbiographies.com/...beethoven.html

Abraham Lincoln
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,273560,00.html

Marie Curie
    http://science.discovery.com/top-ten...cience-01.html

Isaac Newton
    http://www.photographersdirect.com/b...mageid=1909257

Raphael
    http://www.studio-art-gallery.com/rec/29

Thanks
    adrianh,

Obviously they look like those pictures. That's because they were based on them. They are all dead, how was I supposed to do this without looking at their pictures?

They can look photoshopped, but they are not!
    As you given yourself the trouble of looking for those pictures, I will show you the sketching process of one of the figures:

These 11 sketches were the ones I made before the final drawing of Beethoven. The last one (in big) was the one I used.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Fair enough, but do you think that it is enough to alter an original photo or painting a little bit and then call it your own? A bit like taking a Rolex watch, stretching its face and then selling it as your own product.

Please remember that this is not a personal attack but rather an acedemic discussion.

Thanks
    I would agree that hand drawn caricatures are art and possibly more so that an exact replica of the person.

Fair enough, but do you think that it is enough to alter an original photo or painting a little bit and then call it your own?
    Much art is just applying an existing image to canvas or paper. Portraits of living people such as the Mona Lisa or landscapes such as the Hay Wain were just the artist copying what was in front of his eyes.

The only problem I see with selling caricatures is that it's often seen as comic street art which is high on entertainment but low on cash value.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Much art is just applying an existing image to canvas or paper.

This is called a photograph - You can do this very effectivly using a Roland Photoshop vinyl printer.

I am also sure that the artists would be happy to hear that they are mere reproducers of what they see.

Portraits of living people such as the Mona Lisa or landscapes such as the Hay Wain were just the artist copying what was in front of his eyes.

Ok, so if I have the Mona Lisa in front of my eyes then it is ok to make a perfect copy of the painting...

eish....

So why can't I pirate DVDs? I am only making a copy of whats in front of my eyes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Much art is just applying an existing image to canvas or paper.

This is called a photograph - You can do this very effectivly using a Roland Photoshop vinyl printer.

I am also sure that the artists would be happy to hear that they are mere reproducers of what they see.

Portraits of living people such as the Mona Lisa or landscapes such as the Hay Wain were just the artist copying what was in front of his eyes.

Ok, so if I have the Mona Lisa in front of my eyes then it is ok to make a perfect copy of the painting...

eish....
    I'm talking about the Mona Lisa in person or the landscape in real life. Artists put what they see in front of them on paper or canvas. They're copying what they see. With a subject who's dead and buried, using known images of the person to create a caricature from wouldn't be plagerism if the images he's working from aren't caricatures.

So why can't I pirate DVDs? I am only making a copy of whats in front of my eyes.
    I don't see your connection with this.
    Last edited by Dave A; 25-Aug-10 at 05:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast