Thread: Does anybody know the ins and outs of Twitter

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Does anybody know the ins and outs of Twitter

I'm at a total loss to understand some of the basic concepts.

If I tweet something does everybody who follows me see it?
    If I direct a tweet at somebody specific @piet does everybody who follows me see it?
    Does all Piets followers see it or does me have to re-tweet?
    How do people know that two people are having a twitter war - can they only recognize it if they are following both parties, but aren't tweets directed at one another private?
    How do you know what is trending in different regions?
    Lets say my daughter is tweeting and receiving tweets for example and I am following her, would I only be able to see tweets that are not directed anybody specific or directly to me?
    Do I see anything that comes to her or is that private?
    How do 5 people participate in a conversation, do you have to direct vie @each of the 5 people in each message?

Thanks
    You used the @ symbol twice in the post above so as far as I'm concerned you're already an expert

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    All you need to know is if you say something bad on it chances are you will get sued...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's a pretty open platform, maybe even facebook in a smaller nut.
    Your followers will see what you tweet. You will see the tweets of who you follow.
    You can pm, followers or followees, that stays off public platform.

If you retweet, it shows on your Twitter page and the retweeted.
    Twitter war - normally some rich white girl, semi celebrity, calling someone trailer park trash, often using the b word as a term of reference. Everyone loves a fight. Those following the protagonists retweet so the followers and the followees, of the followed protagonists get in on the action, and so it rolls.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I'm at a total loss to understand some of the basic concepts.

If I tweet something does everybody who follows me see it?
    Yes

If I direct a tweet at somebody specific @piet does everybody who follows me see it?
    Yes

Does all Piets followers see it or does me have to re-tweet?
    No, his followers do not see it, only your followers see it.

How do people know that two people are having a twitter war - can they only recognize it if they are following both parties, but aren't tweets directed at one another private?
    You see what is directed at someone you follow. If you follow both parties, then you see it all. Private tweets is called DM, for direct message. You can only DM someone if he follows you. A DM is private.

How do you know what is trending in different regions?
    Change region. I do not know how from the top of my head.

Lets say my daughter is tweeting and receiving tweets for example and I am following her, would I only be able to see tweets that are not directed anybody specific or directly to me?
    You see all tweets she tweet. You only see tweets to her from people you also follow. Her DM's is private, sending and receiving.

Do I see anything that comes to her or is that private?
    See above.

How do 5 people participate in a conversation, do you have to direct vie @each of the 5 people in each message?
    If you use the @ the message goes to their time line as well, making it easier for them to catch from the 100's of messages. If someonedoes not follow you, you have to use the @, otherwise they will never see it, unless they do a search and get lucky.
    All tweets that is not DM's is visible to everyone, if they search for a term and that term is in your tweet. Say you tweet about Zuma and someone search for Zuma, then all tweets containing Zuma comes up, whether you follow that person or not.

# is a way to make searches more specific. #Zuma will bring up only tweets containing the # as well and not where Zuma is without the #.

You only follow people with the same interests as you. Otherwise the tweets you get is too much to read, if you follow too many people.

I am by no means an expert and stand to be corrected on any of the above.
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

Thanks
    There is lots of other things as well, I am just addressing the points you raised and some common ones. To follow a conversation you can also expand on it. You however do not see the whole conversation. Play around with it, you will soon get the hang of it.

You can also 'zoom' in on someones time line by clicking on his name and and then on 'go to full profile'. Have fun!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO View Post

You can also 'zoom' in on someones time line by clicking on his name and and then on 'go to full profile'.
    Unless that person specifically 'block' you, which your daughter probably will do. hehe I can see a fight coming! What do you have to hide from me!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Hell no, I'll never go into her timeline, it's merely an example. The question is based on this: I was watching Morning Live on SABC 2 yesterday and the head of SADTU was on there speaking unadulterated $h1t. I really wanted to tell them that I think that he is a twat. But I couldn't figure out how to tell them and then I wondered whether I would be able to see all the stuff coming in to them.

Thanks
    Well, it is not really an invasion of privacy to look at someone's time line. You have to do it in order to decide whether you want to follow them and also sometimes it is necessary just to catch up or figure out a certain conversation.