Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permission to import and sell a product

Thanks

Permission to import and sell a product

Hi all,

I am planing to import a cosmetic product. I want to sell it to chain stores like Clicks.

This product is already approved by UK medical authorities for general counter sales.

Now my questions:

• Must this product be approved by any SA institution as well? If yes, where?

• What kind of license must be optained that allows me to import and sell the product?

• How would the import procedure look like? What are the costs involved?

Thank you for your help!

Wolfgang
    Last edited by Wolf; 31-Mar-08 at 04:00 PM. Reason: more questions

Thanks
    I do want to think that it needs to be approved before it can be imported, but I don't quite know by whom, sorry
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    What I found out by now is that the product doesn't have to be approved since it is not a medicin.

Does anyone know where I can look online for customs tariffs?

Thanks
    Before you bring in this product, have you got it listed with the retailers you want to sell to. Clicks, Dis-Chem, etc won't order otherwise. Besides trying to do it yourself, there are agencies that will list and merchandise for you.

You can get a copy of the latest tariffs here (hope it's the one you want)
    Vincent Marino
    Maximising the sales value of your business!

Business 24-Seven |MyBlog Twitter |facebook |Phat feesh & chips

Thanks
    Hi Vincent,

Thank you for the link.
    The product is not listed yet. But Clicks and Dis-Chem asked me for a product proposal and I am going to send it this week. Besides that it is going to be puplished in the FMCG Newsletter.

Could you name some agencies who could do the listing for me?

Thanks for your help

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExoPacific View Post
    Could you name some agencies who could do the listing for me?
    I have a friend who has an agency. I'll ask him if he can assist and what the right why is to get listed. Depending on the product it can be quite difficult. As soon as I've spoken to him I'll PM you.
    Vincent Marino
    Maximising the sales value of your business!

Business 24-Seven |MyBlog Twitter |facebook |Phat feesh & chips

Thanks
    Thanks Vincent, appreciate it!

Email problem
    Thanks

Maybe we can work together

Hi , are you interested in selling medical items ?? We have managed many years in exporting our products , like ultrasound scanner, spo2 sensor,NIBP cuff and so on . And i am familiar with the procedure of exporting and importing , maybe you can cantact me .

My information as following :
    Ronseda Electronics Co.,Ltd
    Web:www.ronseda.com
    Email:arthurzhang@ronseda.com
    Msn:arthur_ronseda@hotmail.com
    Yahoo Id :warlen2008@yahoo.com

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi
    I am importing a skin care range from Australia and am having a huge amount of problems with the Dept of Health. I am really struggling to get anywhere with these people and to get some kind of working document / guidelines. Non of our products contain medicine or have any medicinal claims yet I have not been able to import the complete range as the Dept of Health has an "issue" with acne, anti bacterial. I have email and faxed copies of the labels - I can only contact two people - who never answer the phone! Port Health at the Airport are also not able to assist and refer me back to Dept of Health and advise that I need to give them a letter from the Dept to say that I can import these items. Their (DOH) website is not really helpful - I have also contacted MCC (Medicine Control Council) but of course my products do not fall into this catagory. Are you able to assist with a contact or a website where I can get a better understanding of what is required from me to complete this process.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesley View Post
    I have email and faxed copies of the labels - I can only contact two people - who never answer the phone!
    It can take persistence if these are the only two people who can help you - which is entirely possible.

I know of an entire industry that for about two years was at the mercy of one government employee who was actually doing the work required to keep them licenced and legal. Keeping his morale up so that he was productive (rather than attacking him continuously for not coping with the load) was the only way to get as much as possible done that could be done under the circumstances.

My best suggestion to accelerate the process (if that is possible) is to understand the internal process hurdles that might be involved. For example, if it needs a letter from the Medical Control Council that it is not a medicine, get the letter from the Medicine Control Council for them.

Civil servants can be a difficult lot if you push the wrong buttons. Try not to rant and rave. I've never seen it help yet and in fact it normally gets you pushed to the bottom of the pile.

Rather, try to understand their problems. I know it sounds back to front, but it tends to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.