Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coc question Regarding Earth for other services.

Thanks

Coc question Regarding Earth for other services.

Good day all.
    Can anyone shed some light on the earth required for other services that's on the COC now, where should it be installed in a domestic and industrial application.?

I got told in the roof for domestic home etc.
    There is an article in the new sparks magazine showing how this is overlooked but practically what is actually required for install?

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Good day Jasond

In the roof space is the most popular place, normally either not from from roof space entrance or close to the DB board up pipes into roof space.

Where there is not ceiling space available it can be installed close to the DB board or outside in a box.

I tend to use an S15 weaterproof box with an label on it saying "earthing for other services" and if not close to DB I put a label on the DB saying where earthing terminal for other services is located.

Most "other services" installers don't even know about this earthing box nor do they tend to earth their installations.

Take for example an DSTV dish. Most CoCs I have done we where required to earth the DSTV dish as the "accredited" installer never done so. Also the splitter units they use are supposed to be used (not concerning the CoC thou)

Also with alarm systems and CCTV systems they require to earth their cables which gets rarely done. I have seen quite a few surge arrestors for IP cams used on the RJ45 cables with the earth cable tied to the copper pipes... at least they didn't just leave it hanging...

I normally run an 10mm earth cable (green/yellow) on an 16mm supply up into the roof space connected to the main earth bar in the DB board. This is then connected to a neutral bar that is mounted to a backplate installed in the S15 box.

This earthing terminal for other services has been in the CoC for quite a while now, but you are correct in saying it is overlooked by many. Not life or death, but shows how many sparkies out there signing CoCs without knowing what they are certifying.

"I used to have a lot of anger issues, now I just have a passion for justice"

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Where it is easily accessible to other services without having to access the electrical installation.

Thanks
    Thank you so much, and personally I have never ever seen any such earth in any installation so it's good practice for future installs.

And I agree with your statement regarding DSTV and alarm installers etc, not common practice for them to earth their systems, I'm hoping that they in future will need to certify their work too.

Regards

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DieterT View Post
    This earthing terminal for other services has been in the CoC for quite a while now, but you are correct in saying it is overlooked by many. Not life or death, but shows how many sparkies out there signing CoCs without knowing what they are certifying.
    Is it required to be in place if you are issuing a S9.2.b CoC - i.e. on an existing installation where the CoC being issued is only to the "reasonably safe" standard?

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Hi Dave

I am unsure what a S9.2b CoC is, but inregards to a test & inspection CoC for an existing installion, yes it is required to be in place.

"I used to have a lot of anger issues, now I just have a passion for justice"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am unsure what a S9.2b CoC is, but inregards to a test & inspection CoC for an existing installion, yes it is required to be in place.
    We're talking about the same thing then.

That means the starting point is Section 5 of SANS 10142-1. The earthing terminal for other services requirement is under 6.11 and isn't referenced from Section 5 at all (as I recall)

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    We're talking about the same thing then.

That means the starting point is Section 5 of SANS 10142-1. The earthing terminal for other services requirement is under 6.11 and isn't referenced from Section 5 at all (as I recall)
    Yes it would seem so

I am not sure what you mean by the starting point being Section 5 and yes the supply of earthing terminal for other services requirement can be found under section 6.11.5 of SANS10142-1

6.11.5 A readily accessible earthing terminal shall be provided for the
    bonding of other services such as a telephone, an audio or a video system,
    and the like, to a building. Such an earthing terminal shall be bonded to the
    consumer’s earth terminal by a conductor of at least 6 mm2 copper or
    equivalent, and shall be identified by the earth symbol
    Amdt 6; amdt 8
    NOTE Providers of services other than the electrical power services should not
    access the distribution board or other parts of the electrical installation. Amdt 6

This is under Section 4 - Inspection and Tests (New and existing installations on the CoC) point number 15. Also the reason being that should there be no earthing terminal installed for other services then the answer on the CoC would have to be "no" Thus as per note on Section 4 : Answer "Yes" or "N/A" The report shall not be issued should any "No" answers be necessary

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This is under Section 4 - Inspection and Tests (New and existing installations on the CoC) point number 15. Also the reason being that should there be no earthing terminal installed for other services then the answer on the CoC would have to be "no" Thus as per note on Section 4 : Answer "Yes" or "N/A" The report shall not be issued should any "No" answers be necessary
    By my understanding, the correct answer in the test only of existing CoC situation if there is no point already in place would currently be "N/A" under the current legislation.

The accessible earthing terminal is obviously applicable and the answer must be "Yes" for a 9.2.a CoC (new installation), as in that case the entire contents of SANS 10142-1 is applicable to the entire installation.

What is less clear cut to my mind is when it comes to a 9.2.c CoC (addition or alteration to an existing installation). Here the full code is applicable to the alterations and additions, but the section 5 "reasonably safe" standard applies to the existing balance of the installation.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Why do you say that on a Test & Inspection for existing installation the answer would be N/A ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast