Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal Industry strike

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From what I've seen, the adverserial relationship between "workers" and "management" in unionised workplaces is something to behold. Definitely a far greater problem than in non-unionised workplaces.

Imo it is one of indicators that the LRA is fundamentally flawed. After all, one of the objects of the LRA is supposed to be to improve employer/employee relations, and quite patently it hasn't suceeded. Made things far worse, I reckon.

Another indicator is what the LRA has done to the SA textile industry.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well I need to expand, but there is no increase in staff in this plan. I am looking at installing automatic machines, even if they only work 5 days a month. It is far cheaper this way, and I can run anytime I need the finished product. So who loses out?

I will be happier, get more production at lower cost, and do not have to have this sword of Damocles over my head, nor the 5 ton lead ball hanging from my neck called "STAFF". The interesting thing is that to do this will cost me about R100K, employing another 6 to 8 staff members, will cost me R30K to R40K a month for the first year, and who knows what in the future and all the sick leave and HR crap that goes with it. One does not have to be a rocket scientist to figure this one out.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My brother experienced a good one in Namibia. One year at the bank when it came time for increases the union demanded 8% or something. The bank said, ok, no problem. The union rep came back and said that it is not good enough, the bank can't just agree to their demands, they must first negotiate. Goes to show how union leadership need to create adveserial positions to keep themselves in power.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You are being played. The scenario is electricity provider needs to do maintenance of a few power stations. For that they need the steel companies to stop there manufacturing for a little while “perhaps do some maintenance themselves.

Most of the steel plans know that there contracts have been met for the most part and because they get some “help money” they close down full knowing that strikes are on their way. So the strike hit the metal market goes for a ball of crap and this will aid the steel manufacturers the ability to play mind games with the workers.

The workers see that there money hits rock bottom because there basic sucks and they don’t get any overtime and or allowance. So now when it comes to negotiations there workers are in a bad way and will take basically any offer that is on the table.

Contracts get renewed, the steel manufacturer gets cheap labour for another year and magically the steel industry picks up speed again. Our electricity provider is happy, our steel manufacturer bosses are happy and the small suppliers along with the workers got a nice f-you.

the end...

Sadly the unions are too stupid to realise this…

That said it is clever play…
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    WOW Now that is one big conspiracy.
    Lets see Eskom need to do maintenance, so they speak to the steel mills and the unions and organise a strike.
    One thing is how can they do this maintenance if the the engineering sector is on strike?
    I think you are reading to much into this.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Email problem
    Thanks

METAL INDUSTRIES STRIKE

THIS WHOLE COUNTRY IS COMING TO A STAND STILL AND THE PRESIDENT IS SORTING OUT ISSUES IN LIBIYA

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    ...but we've got to make it worth his while (his time doesn't come cheap - consulting fees you know) to sort the problem out: Some cash, another Merc, maybe another wife...

Thanks
    It's funny. If the workers are unreasonable, the first thought is to go to machinery. But then the gov say you can't do that because then the workers suffer... It's not hard to see how business gets shafted over and over again.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I give it; it sounds ridicules but is it? The strikers always strike round about this time AND let’s not forget that with every strike an advance notice are given. Now remember critical personnel may not strike. Thus is maintenance being done at the power stations? Yes in most power stations is business as usual.

What of the steel plants? Well some sections of the steel plants are still accessible and maintenance is being done. So why the big conspiracy?

Targeted intimidation comes to mind. If there is no work and people strike who gives a damn? Who loses negotiations at the end of the month? Why did they lose?

But if you think that this is not happening then all I can say is, it is what it is…

And yes you can replace humans at almost every level of fabrication and administration but if you fire all the workers who will consume your consumables?
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Ok so there is this big conspiracy who is pulling the strings and what are the aims/goals?
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast