Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Certificate of compliance

Thanks
    I recognized Murdock and yourself in the video shot.

I think it was Murdock standing on the ladder and disconnecting the ELC ! and was it you that actually bolted and escaped in the Kombi ?

Jokes aside......it is shocking how the public gets ripped off by "gangsters"
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did you read the comments below the transcript?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I didn't watch Carte Blanche last night, but apparently there was an insert on electricians.
    Apart from a bit of free advertising for the guy that got it right I don't really see what this kind of show achieves. We all know there's cowboy contractors and we all know that they're likely to try rip customers off and possibly leave the installation unsafe, this isn't a closely guarded secret, there's no shortage of awareness about this already. From Carte Blanches point of view it's probably good for viewing figures but I really don't see what this achieves from an industry point of view.

Thanks
    Did you read the comments below the transcript?
    The disturbing thing for me was the number of comments advocating removing the faulty appliance from the E/L system being acceptable remedial action. Even if the regs allowed for the stove to be supplied without E/L (which they don't in this case) why do these people think it's acceptable to downgrade the protection for the user rather than localising and remedying to fault. It's a worrying state of affairs.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Apart from a bit of free advertising for the guy that got it right I don't really see what this kind of show achieves.
    Electric Mann is a solid contractor so I'll keep any reservations I may have on that aspect to myself. That they came through with flying colors doesn't surprise me, though - and I would hope if it was one of my teams in the firing line they would have performed as well.

I think the story does highlight some of the issues the industry faces, even if the consumer and the sparkies came away with slightly different views on it. The lass who told me about it this morning was in hysterics about the contractor who bolted, and the contractor who swore blind they were registered with the ECB when in fact they weren't.

"Why do they think they'll get away with it?" was her question to me.

Good question.

Thanks
    .........and the contractor who swore blind they were registered with the ECB when in fact they weren't.
    "Why do they think they'll get away with it?"
    Rule 1 of good bullsh1tt1ng;
    Stick to your story come hell or high water (or Carte Blanch camera crews for that matter)

*Edit* Link not U16 or politician friendly

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    OK - but there we have Chris Greager saying the consumer must be aware and check on the contractor blah blah

And saying that only the correctly accredited persons can work on the DB

So here on video is evidence of illegal work being done on a DB.

*BUSTED*

Now what? Call the SAPS? DoL? Eskom? The metro?

Suspended
    Thanks
    this is the joke with this industry but until the public and contractors stand up and say enough is enough....or the head of the department responsible for the policing of the industry he put in the spot light...nothing will change.

it doent help picking on one or 2 contractors...this is a massive problem...bigger than we all think...but you know what people are making a living out of this system and i for one...skim through inpsection reports at 3 times the speed i use to knowing that i cant get caught...or should i say so long as noody dies as a result you wont get the dol out their office...do as the africans do in africa

Thanks
    Murdock you are spot on with regards to something has got to be done.

If the ECA are not going to do it then the contractors are going to have to come up with ideas. I saw an Australian guy in a shop last year. He was buying some cable. He said it is great in South Africa because you can just walk into wholesalers, shops etc and buy electrical stuff.

He said in Australia you need to produce a licence to buy any electrical stuff.

That to me is a starting point because that affects the fly by nights but being SA they will find ways around it but then it needs to be policed.

Thanks
    Thanks for the thread Murdock. I am glad to see the fireworks, I was disappointed that the COC I posted did not draw heated comment. I was beginning to think that legit contractors are dying out faster than what I anticipated. Maybe an Independant "Legitimate" Electrician's Association should be started so that a concerted effort can be made to force action to be taken. In this country the only recognised form of communication is striking. If we can find enough "legit" sparkies to join & hopefully bring the industry to a standstill, something might be done. I was actually pondering the "produce your registration" at the counter idea last week. I discovered that the colourful people are buying 2.5 T&E to string between shacks at the same price I get it for at Voltex.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast