Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: solar system and instalation

Email problem
    Thanks

Unhappy solar system and instalation

Good day

I bought a house and i don't where to start. I need to all my electrical applience use the solar enegry. how much does solar enegry cost? is there any danger using it? my house got 3 bedroom, 1 toilet, 1 seating room and a small kichen. Is there any drawing that will samplify the function of solar sytem. I only saw solar gysar. I don't even whether the sytem exit.

Thanks
    A solar powered electrical system capable of running appliances like a small stove, TV, kettle and lighting for a house is available but it's going to cost a lot of money. You can go with a 12 volt system similar to a camping set up but then you need 12 volt appliances as well. You can also go with a full solar PV system with an inverter as well which will generate 220 volts. Either way you're going to spend many thousands of rands even for a small basic system. With solar electrical power systems, the initial financial outlay is very high.

With the geyser it's slightly different because the solar panel normally directly heats the water, it doesn't generate any electricity. This system is more affordable plus there were some government schemes running where you can get a few thousand Rands back if you install one of these.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The problem with solar systems is:

Those that can afford it do not need it, and those that need it can not afford it.

First start off and lay out exactly what you need, we can then work our way through it and find the best possible solution.
    I mean your consumption - eg - Lights for reading 3 people - 6 hours, general lighting - kitchen - lounge - 10 hours, TV - size and consumption, etc. Be liebral and at the same time be conservative. Understanding your requirements is paramount in deciding what to do and how to solve it.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Suspended
    Thanks
    you can get a solar panel to charge a big deep cycle battery for around R3000 (make sure it is blue...the brown ones ar eold technology)

a 105 amp/hr battery will set you back R1300

the battery charger for the solar panel R700

then lastly an invertor from R1000 to R5000

you can run your tv on a 12 volt battery

i have an invertor which runs my tv and dvd player...charge cellphones...the small light batteries if we have cloudy days...

then you buy a lighting kit which comes complete with a small solar panel...battery and 4 lights complete for R1500 i have seen them for less at around R1100

you then invest in a afrox handigas 2 plate gas stove complete with pipe and pressure reducer R350

put a deposit on either a small 9 kg bottle which you can exchange for a bigger 1 if you find it is running out tooo quickly at no extra cost (deposit R350 once off)

to refill the gas bottle R169 for a 9 kg bottle

if you use the small cadac bottle you will pay R18 per kg to refill and only R13 to refil the big bottle

if you cant afford a solar geyser...just use the 2 plate gas stove to heat water...get a 25 litre bucket...a big sponge and a small jug...bingo you have a hot water wash ever day.ii in winter it works great because it heats up the room when you boil the water...or get smart and join the gym and have a shower at gym every night...and morning if you like...keeps you fit and clean

get a swimming pool (around 8000 ltres) from pick and pay for around R700 with pump (which can run off the invertor)...reroute your down pipes from your gutters and bingo...with your 6000 free litres of water from the council is enough to keep you going.

just remeber the more power you need the more panels and batteries you will need.

i also have a small generator which cost around R1500 which can powers any item if my house if i need to like the washing machine...fridge etc if i need to...the problem is the running cost is huge...with the petrol price increase you pay R10 per hour to run it...it consumes a litre and hour...so we only use it as a last resort.

Suspended
    Thanks
    life is great in africa...people strike for water...lights then sit in the ques hours waiting to sort out outstanding accounts because they can tafford to pay for it so it is diconnected.

i suppose at least then it not a service delivery issue any longer.

Email problem
    Thanks
    thanks for giving me some idea what to do.Soo the best way is to have gas heater, gas stove, solar gyser and solar lights system. But i still have a problem with Tv, dvd, fm and fridge to comleped everything. Can you help me with that item or give me any idea please.

Suspended
    Thanks
    do you not have access to electricity?

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    do you not have access to electricity?
    Eskom have poor service so i need some altanartive to live without electricity. They will replie after 3 days even call center is also not in good conditions.when It's winter i struggle with electricty. I always pray when i go find power on. Last weekend there was no power. I use prepaid electricity. I don't wanna use generator because of petrol is increasing all most every day. I also so generators suplying banks at malls may that kind of genarator can solve my problems because it's a diseil genaretor.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When it comes to generators, diesel or petrol, it costs more to generate electricity than buying it off the grid.

Suspended
    Thanks
    my little generator consumes 1 litre per hour of LRP fuel and can only supply 10 amps max which relates to almost R10 per hour... which is by no menas cheap in comparison yo electricity

which means that i have all my lights on...

the fridge 2 door fridge freezer

the geyser i fitted a 1000 watt element so it takes a little longer to heat but the generator can carry the load.

the tv...dvd and sound system

and my electric blanket on my bed for when i really splash out and spoil myself

and the generator runs no problem and at the same time i charge all the batteries

...the bigger the generator the more petrol it will consume..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast