Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Money for IT Services

Thanks

Money for IT Services

I was wondering how much people generally spend on IT services a month/year in their businesses. I can help myself, but was wondering about other people, so I thought I'd ask. Actually there are 3 questions.

How much are you spending?
    How much are you willing to spend?
    On what type of services will/are you spend(ing) money?.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What do you want to draw the line on IT spend?
    Hardware
    Software
    Connectivity
    Web site costs which can be broken down into design, maintenance and hosting?

Thinking about it, it really does add up.

Thanks
    The whole kaboodle really, Hardware, software, connection, website cost, etc

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    After thinking about this a bit, I thought I might as well give up my personal IT spend which is at least R12k per annum. The trouble with talking about business IT spend is that it's heavily influenced by the size of the business, I'd think.

Thanks
    Thanks Dave, I appreciate the info, I am just curious as to what is happening in the IT sector. One more question, if I may, how much of your IT is done in house? Things like formatting and re-installing your computers, laying a network, sorting out connection problems to the internet, or is everything done from the outside?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    All internal - and just to say my personal spend is pretty small compared to what the business spends.

Thanks
    Thanks again Dave. My final question, what is your biggest IT expense? Hosting, bandwidth, software, hardware upgrades?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hi,

This is going to sound very biase but its the truth.

I am an IT professional and working with people that have their own businesses as well as those that want to do the work themselves.

One needs to understand the underlying factor, If you dont do the IT yourself will you make more money? Will you spend more time doing it cause you dont know it? Will you have more stress in your life?

IF you answer these questions you should be able to determine if you require external IT help.

This is a whole new ball game as you need to find someone that is decent and that is willing to help your company grow as well as provide you the correct information for you to make the right choices.

In this day and age you will find 2 types of IT people.
    1) People that know computers
    2) people that know about computers

The people that know about computers are dangerous as they think they know alot but tend to throw themselves into a situation they have never been in before and make excuses about the equipment when things go wrong.

People that know computers will know what needs to be done and what it entails. The difference is this. 1 person will do the job with efficiency and provide you the ability to make more money, the other will hinder your growth.

In providing this piece of information i still suggest that if you have the money, outsource your IT requirements. Your job should not be worrying about IT but rather about how to grow your company. Leave the worry up to the IT people.

To answer your question i would need a full breakdown of your business, of course this wont happen but to give you a rough idea, we have multiple clients that have different needs.

clients with 3 pc's that spend between 20k and 150k a year, clients with 3 pc's that spend 10k a year. It depends on your business and on the IT person understanding your business.

IF your IT person understands your business they will be able to help your grow by suggesting technologies that will enhance your efficiency.

Give me a shout via PM should you require any assistance or more info.
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I guess Snoopy about sums up why I learnt to do the IT at my business myself. I've been through three "IT" people who stuffed it up each time.

My number one complaint is budget machines assembled on the cheap which don't last - and by the time the problems come to roost the guy can't be seen for dust.

My second most painful experience was when I got a machine in, had to pay for all the software, and the guy didn't leave the disks. When I asked he said he'd look after them. If I had any problems he'd sort out. When the machine crashed and needed a re-install, guess what my hero's first question was - "Where are the disks?"

Excuse me?

Ah yes - he remembered now and promptly did the reinstall thingy, at a price of course. And then when Windows started its validation stuff, guess what? Unlicenced software. Once again, my IT expert was nowhere to be found.

It's a very fluid industry it seems, filled with sharks and charlatans. And with the pace of development, today's expert is tomorrow's moron.

It might take me time to figure stuff out, but it gets done properly.

Thanks
    I agree that there are chance takers out there, but then there are those that Snoopy refers to, and I like to think that I am one of the latter people. I was just wondering as I do not know how much is being spent elsewhere in the IT field.

QQ: Snoopy, do you have your own IT business or do you work for someone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast