Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business plans

Email problem Johann D Landsberg's Avatar
    Thanks

Business plans

How many business owners refer back to their business plan after start up?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I confess I don't look back that often. About a year ago I came across my business plan from 5 years ago more by accident than by design. It was an interesting read but mostly not relevant to the current challenges.

However, I do draw up a new business plan each year and carry it around with me to remind me of my strategic objectives and priorities for the year.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    At the start of each year in draw up a plan and try look back at least once a month. I have found this to be very helpful to me.

This year I have done a one pager with the big goals/challenges and have broken it down into several pages thereafter.This really works well for me as I get sidetracked easily and in a glance I can focus again.

It is very interesting as Dave said to go back a few years and see what has happened since.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I found that very few business owners actually use a business plan. Why do you need one?

Well at least you have to set goals for yourself and your business. This you can do in various forms as long as the goals are attainable and can be measured. You may break your goals down into monthly increments and use your diary, spreadsheet or any practical way of reminding yourself and measuring your progress. A projected cash flow is one of those essential measurement tools and should be part of your business plan. Look at it often and measure achievement against projections.

If you are looking for funding or investors, you need a more elaborate business plan that also tells the funder about your business, what you stand for, past achievements and where you are heading. And of course how much money you need and how it will make the business grow.

Once you have this document prepared for the bank etc, revise it and keep it up to date. You will be amazed how much you learn about your own business and thought processes. .
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The main problem with small business, is like trying to keep a rowing boat on a straight line course on a choppy sea. Any small wave has the strength to move you off your course, no matter how hard you row, you will be shifted from your line. The shift in no way means that you are not moving. In the current times, no matter how good your business plan, by year end it will be no nearer to it. To me goals and business plans are not the same, and this is the reason that small business survive, simply because they can practically move anywhere on a dime, this ensures the goal is met which ultimately is financial reward.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    The main problem with small business, is like trying to keep a rowing boat on a straight line course on a choppy sea. Any small wave has the strength to move you off your course, no matter how hard you row, you will be shifted from your line. The shift in no way means that you are not moving. In the current times, no matter how good your business plan, by year end it will be no nearer to it. To me goals and business plans are not the same, and this is the reason that small business survive, simply because they can practically move anywhere on a dime, this ensures the goal is met which ultimately is financial reward.
    I learned this the hard way recently when my accountant lost my bank statements and didn't bother to submit tax returns since 2007.

I also don't have a business plan, nor can I afford professional advice on how to get one drawn up.

Thanks
    I have attached a draft of a business plan please don't me if this is not the layout you would prefer or not to your likings.DynamicBusinessPlan-word.docBusinessplan_Booklet.pdf
    Geraldene Kapp
    Professional Tax Help
    www.mytaxhelp.co.za

8. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (21-Feb-12)

Thanks

thanks

thanks for the business plan layout Geraldenek

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    However, I do draw up a new business plan each year and carry it around with me to remind me of my strategic objectives and priorities for the year.
    Could you say its more of Strategic planning?

Quote Originally Posted by http://tutor2u.net/business/strategy/strategy_marketing.htm6
    Strategic planning is concerned about the overall direction of the business. It is concerned with marketing, of course. But it also involves decision-making about production and operations, finance, human resource management and other business issues..
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldenek View Post
    I have attached a draft of a business plan please don't me if this is not the layout you would prefer or not to your likings.DynamicBusinessPlan-word.docBusinessplan_Booklet.pdf
    Hate to throw a cat amongst pidgeons, but have you checked out http://www.bplans.com/sample_business_plans.cfm I used to check them out for writing Business plans for feasibility of my many ideas....
    once there was a man. the end.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3x-a-d3-u5 View Post
    Could you say its more of Strategic planning?
    It certainly reflects my strategic planning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast