Thread: how safe is your money in the bank

Suspended
    Thanks

how safe is your money in the bank

it seems just about every second day i hear of peoples accounts getting cleaned out...or multiple withdrawls which in fact exceed their daily limits yet they still manage to take the money...do we start hiding our money under the bed againt to keep it safe? or "can" the bank keep our money safe ...and the next question is how much is it costing us as the customer to pay for all the money lost by the bank...because i am sure the bank isnt paying the the loss.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At least banks can limit the losses, something which the matress bank can't do.

Thanks
    With the amount of home robberies these days, I'd rather have my money in the bank - although there is a chance someone could gain access to my bank account, I think being burgled is more likely.
    Eish, when we have to start reasoning like this there is definitely something very wrong in the world!
    "If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you."

Thanks
    Since you (end user) are the weakest link here, your money in the bank (or anywhere else for that matter) is only as safe as you keep it.

Don't withdraw money at ATM's which are NOT inside a Mall full of people and security cameras
    Don't type in your PIN on a PIN pad (at the ATM, Checkers, Woolworths, Garage, etc) in clear view. Turn around and hide the pin pad with your other hand.
    Don't use an easy to guss PIN - 0000 or 1234 or something like that isn't very secure.
    Don't write down your PIN. Ever. Anywhere.
    Don't use your Credit Card online on a website which looks dodgy. No matter how good the sale looks. If it looks to true to be good, it is.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Suspended
    Thanks
    the most recent incident the person takes very good care of his card...doesnt even allow the waitress to swipe the card...he swipes it himself...lost 3 large ampounts of money in one hit and noted it as the sms came thru

the problem isnt the money gone...its the hassle of the block bank account...and all the hassles that go with it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Using a credit card, Murdock?

Suspended
    Thanks
    no cheque card...

not me dave ...i use cash onlyfor a while now...killed all my credit cards ...saving huge.

and not spending money i dont have anymore.

i also hide my money under my bed now..i just cant afford to pay for eveyones aids...water and electricity bills fancy cars...houses entertainment etc anymore...started my own struggle...to survive...i will leave the countries debt and expenses for you fellas who can afford to support the countries needs...the way things are going... looks like me and a couple of my nieghbours will also be joining the ques for child grants food parcels etc...and this is not a joke by the way...

i havent had electricity in my house since january and my water has been cut for a while now...the joke is i cant even buy electricity to get my free electricty because they wont let me put in a prepaid meter until i pay the bill in full then pay another R1500 to fit a prepaid meter.

been in to discuss a payment plan...but they want a R12000 deposit before they will even consider a payment plan...and another joke is even if i had a pre paid meter if i purchase electricity and my rates are behind they just deduct it...so when you try load it it is empty.

lucky for me as someone mentioned i am a pro...boy and learning to survive at what ever the cost....i have a family to support and will do "WHATEVER" and i mean anything it takes to keep food on the table and hot water for my kids to bath...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    no cheque card...
    Quite a bit tougher to dispute, then. It seems to me this is an area where a credit card has its advantages.