Poll: Are you in favour of the death penalty being re-introduced for serious crimes?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death Penalty

Thanks

Question The Death Penalty

Most people feel that the death penalty should be reinstated in South Africa due the increasing number of brutal murders during the past few years.

Do you really think it is unconstitutional to reinstate it and if not, will it even make a difference bringing it back (bearing in mind that it would only be awarded in the most extreme circumstances)?

What do you think?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Most people?

Has there been a survey?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, I'm all in favor of the death penalty. If a person rapes and murders people, I'm not sure that he deserves to live.

The only potential issue that I have with it is wrongful convictions. If an innocent loses his life to the death penalty, then it's a different story.

Then again, who am I to decide.

Thanks
    A few years back there was an attempted murder hijacking in East London where a pregnant chick was stabbed and lost her baby but survived herself.
    The boyfriends mother went apeshit in the press and organised a march demanding the death penalty be reinstated.
    The day before the march her son was arrested for arranging the hit on the pregnant girlfriend as he didn't want to marry her.

So be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!!

Story reminds me of Dewani??
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Most people?

Has there been a survey?
    Well....what about a survey on TFSA ? Or too controversial ?
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    I don't see why it would be too controversial, it's a genuine issue that's been in the limelight for many years.

For me it's not about anything but the unreliability of the police, the chain of evidence and the fallibility of the courts in this country. There's way too much scope for wrongful convictions.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    the constitutional issues aside, one of the fundamental shortfalls of arguments favouring the death penalty is that there is no evidence, world wide, to suggest that the death penalty is a deterrent.
    I must agree with the issue of police capabilities and evidence etc.
    My biggest reason for not allowing the death penalty (and I am neither for nor against) would be the lack of accesibility to justice. A lawyer is too expensive. hardly fair to put a man on trial for his life without proper representation at least.

As an aside, my feeling in terms of addressing crime, is not more police or stricter penalties, but a higher conviction rate. That means the prosecutors particulalry, need more resources. Criminal penalties ar emeant to be deterrent. Unless you get high convictions crime will continue. Why fear a penalty if I know my chances of being convicted, not caught, are slim!
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

8. Thank given for this post:

BusFact (07-Jul-11), Dave A (09-Jun-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Most people?

Has there been a survey?
    I have pulled up an old 2006 article. Have a look at some statistics back then. Hope this helps. Death penalty

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    Well....what about a survey on TFSA ? Or too controversial ?
    A great idea. Poll loaded.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Anthony when it comes to reasons not to re-instate the death penalty. I don't think they should be entitled to the vote, though. If society's ability to remove a person's right to liberty can pass constitutional muster, why can't we also remove their right to vote?

My main add on the topic though is that I think there's far too much discussion on the death penalty and not enough discussion on what we are trying to achieve with imprisonment - which IMO is where the bulk of the harm is being done in our penal system.

When last did you hear the term "rehabilitation" being discussed with passion when it comes to incarceration?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast