Poll: Are you in favour of the death penalty being re-introduced for serious crimes?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: The Death Penalty

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Having read the plethora of research on this subject on the internet I have arrived at the conclusion that there is no compelling argument either way. There are good and bad points on both sides of the fence,so its not an argument that can easily be won by either camp.

So I'm now at the point where I'm considering whether my stance on the matter:
    Is serious violent crime (murder and possibly rape) the problem I have always thought it is?
    Is it really terrible enough to deserve the death penalty?
    Am I merely an indivdual with a deep subconcious appetite for violence to be thinking it does?
    In thinking such, am I actually contributing to the rate of murder and rape?
    Should I rather adopt an attitude of forgiveness and just accept that its OK for me to contribute towards the financial maintenance of murderers and rapists

I've thought about it long and hard and with all due respect to everyone who thinks differently and chooses to accept the anti-death penalty movement, I still feel that making someone swing when found irrefutably guilty is the right thing to do.

In addition, if the death penalty is not the ulimate punishment and deterrent what is?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A bully keeps on getting away until the day he gets a 'warm klap', then he is a bully no more. Simple but true. Need I say more. The Death penalty may not be a deterrent to a few, but it is to a majority. There is always an exception to the rule, however the punishment in the majority of cases will deter the crime, and is this not the aim of punishment?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Good morning :-)!

Yes, a debate regarding the death penalty is rather pointless. It's like debating which tastes best - apple or pear! I think that life imprisonment will have exactly the same deterrence effect.

Have a great day!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mbsmit View Post
    I think that life imprisonment will have exactly the same deterrence effect.
    Ja, but it leaves a little window open to still do the evil deed, I can take a chance at getting away with it and still be alive.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Castration and a lobotomy for rapists, a parachute drop onto Gough Island for murderers, let them look after themselves.

'But what about guys accused of rape by woman suffering remorse the following day?' I hear you say. Punish false accusers by making them work in a massage parlour
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don't get it to be honest; it is taboo to legalize suicide because people will self-terminate for many reasons. These reasons include ill health, disability, suffering, emotional-upset and basic-circumstances such as poverty.

Now if there is a law that allows for self-termination that is easy and painless then I believe there will be a change in how people live and how they are prepared to live. Sadly because it is a taboo subject people don't give it much thought.

Secondly is the death penalty… The argument is both emotional and economical. If you are a victim of a crime or perhaps a loved one was victim then yes the justification is there. Economical justification is just as simple, why give someone a free ride if he/she did something terrible?

In order for the death penalty to be accepted one must accept legalized suicide for the exact same reasons. It is cost effective and it is an emotional justification. I say this because in the end it is about the human rights aspect. If a free thinking human has the right to self terminate then the law can also enforce the same right towards criminals.

This eliminate the aspect of discrimination against prisoners only. I know it sounds stupid but the fact is ALL humans needs to have the same rights then only can it be just. If not then prisoners will always scream "human rights this and human rights that" you will never get around it unless you make it everyone's right.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I dont understand the point yu're making at all!

There is a HUGE diferrence between someone who wants to terminate their own life, many do anyway and dont need permission from the law to do so and someone who has committed murder and/or rape.

I'm all for equal right to life but believe that that is forfeited when the life of another is taken

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where the law stands on self-euthanasia and suicide is probably a moot point - there's not much to be gained (other than ridicule) by prosecuting the corpse.

There is some merit in linking assisted suicide though (which is illegal here BTW). I've argued before that if you allow abortions, in principle you should also allow assisted suicide when the motive is relief from suffering. This link on Jack Kevorkian will be worth a read once Wikipedia has ended their blackout.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gac View Post
    I dont understand the point yu're making at all!

There is a HUGE diferrence between someone who wants to terminate their own life, many do anyway and dont need permission from the law to do so and someone who has committed murder and/or rape.

I'm all for equal right to life but believe that that is forfeited when the life of another is taken
    It removes the prisoner's argument, by justifying and legalizing self termination you remove the "inhumane argument" and allow for "justification" and will go forth to change our "laws" to "accept" termination of life as both a right and an enforceable right toward prisoners fitting of the punishment.

Abortion is legal and that is just a termination of a premature life. It is allowed by law as it is regulated responsibly "in most cases". Self termination if made a right and is allowed by law will become a norm.

Once it is a norm then prisoners can no longer claim discrimination that is the point I was trying to make.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Ok thanks, I think I gotcha.

What do the "right to life" chaps say about:

1. the Lawyer who cut open a pregnant womens stomach, ripped her baby out and left her to die. Clearly she is a sick woman with a twisted mind but regardless, deserves the death penalty.

2. And Johan Kotze the Modimolle Killer?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789