I've received an interesting approach on training.

A training company has approached me and said that by appointment of ESETA they are opening an office in Durban to train electricians. They are currently finalising the deal with ESETA, but whilst they provide all theoretical training, would our company be prepared to provide workplace experience for their learners.

We arrange a meeting to clear up the details. I'm told the benefits are I'd receive "free" labour as they would pay the learners allowance. Would I take 5 learners at a time to work a few days on our sites?

Sounds OK, so far. So now comes the paperwork which the representative fills out for me and merely asks me to sign. All routine stuff, I'm assured.

Now I know to read everything carefully before I sign, and to my horror I find that the MOU is in fact an agreement appointing this company as my training provider for my staff, complete with a confidentiality clause precluding me from disclosing the details of the MOU to a third party (don't start swearing at me - I did not sign).

Alarm bells: I thought I was helping them train their students - my staff had not come up.

Document 2 (now also still unsigned), is a completed application for discretionary grants by my company to ESETA - all duly filled in for applications for funding in terms of the learnership incentive schemes in the name of my company. The bank details to which payment is to be made is conveniently blank.

So here's my thinking right now (if I sign):

Training company makes application to ESETA for funding on my behalf for 10 currently unemployed trainees. Assuming even the smallest grant this is R230 000.00 worth of funding.

Training company invests in three weeks of training - 10 * R1500.00 per week * 3 weeks = R45 000.00.

I provide 1 week workplace experience - their assessors sign off the student.

Training company also kindly pays the learners allowance - 10 * R500.00 = R5000.00

So now we have the little matter of R180 000.00 in change that seems to be left over and has not been mentioned to me.....

Just bear in mind that ESETA thinks they would be funding my company for being so nice training folk. The training company cannot apply for the funding in their own name - only companies paying SDL to ESETA may do so. The paperwork bears no resemblance to the content of our discussions.

Looks like a sweet con to me - or have I got an overly suspicious mind?