Thread: Phishing for your online banking log-in details

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Phishing for your online banking log-in details

It's been quite a while since I last made a post on phishing methods for your online banking log-in details. I have to say these fraudsters are getting really good at it.

Here's one I just received purporting to be from FNB:
    Dear Customer

Do you know that with FNB Internet banking, you can eliminate the cost of receiving and transferring funds from or to your account?

FNB has introduced a new scheme for all account holders to receive a return on incurred charges over the year.
    This benefit is available to all internet banking subscribers with a minimum balance of R1000.

You are hereby advised to verify your account in other to qualify for this benefit.

Click here to verify
    *link not published for obvious reasons - but safe to say you're not going to FNB's website*

FNB
    Internet Banking Team
    All laid out to look just like any other email you might get from FNB. (I got one ripping off a Standard Bank confirmation notice the other day that was a dead ringer for the real thing).

But it's not just the "look and feel" of these phishing emails that have got so much better - it's also the strategic thinking.

It appeals to greed and...
    It makes sure you've got at least R1 000.00 in your bank account to rip off!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yes They are getting good.

One must use common sense to make sure you are not a victim. Anothere dead give away is the spelling mistake
    You are hereby advised to verify your account in other to qualify for this benefit.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za