The elections have come and gone.

Whatever else was in evidence, it is obvious that the twin issues of racism and ethnicity were factors, either in reality or in perception.

Jacob Zuma has responded in two (2) notable ways -
1. He gave a speech warning Councillors that it was no longer to be business as usual; that there must be accountability; that there must be service and delivery; and that this should be dispensed to ALL, even those who are not supporters of the ANC.

2. He has now formally called for serious introspection on the issue of alienation of other race/ethnic groups. See - http://www.timeslive.co.za/Politics/...mentsPage=true.

3. He had previously called into question the utility of the current BEE model.

Our President is to be commended for this reaction. He is displaying yet unprecedented leadership. More importantly, he is displaying understanding of what it is to be a true leader and/or President, i,e that he is a President of ALL South Africans and that he has an obligation to reconcile differences, not promote or foster them.

To my mind, it reveals that he understands that SA is now on a very dangerous path, i.e the path of racial/ethnic division. He understands that many South Africans now feel alienated in the country of their birth. As said previously, such alienation is always as a result of a failure of leadership. As a true leader Zuma is not prepared to acquiesce.

I cannot understand the wall of cynical, irreverent, contemptuous comments posted in reaction to the Times Live report on Zuma's stance. Perhaps it is an indication of how much damage the racist trumpets in the ANC have already done? Certainly cynicism is fueled by the fact that nothing was done about Jimmy Manyi and Malema for their overt racism of the worst kind.

In any event that negativity vindicates the stance by our President that we have a serious problem that must be now frankly addressed.

I agree with him. Passionately! It is long overdue. The same conclusion was reached on the eTV program, "Judge for Yourself", chaired by Judge Davis recently.

It is my hope that he configures the envisaged conversation to include a complete cross-section of our people. As said previously, he will be surprised by the fund of common sense, good counsel and wisdom that will emanate.

Please do it Mr President. It is the right thing to do.